1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WSJ - Movie Theathers Mad at Rumored D* Deal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cforrest, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Apr 1, 2011 #1 of 63
    cforrest

cforrest Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    Theaters, Studios at Odds Following Report of DirecTV Deal

By MICHELLE KUNG

Movie-theater owners responded with outrage Thursday after a trade magazine reported that four of Hollywood's six major studios had signed on with a new video-on-demand proposition from DirecTV Inc., offering movies to rent for $30 only 60 days after being released in theaters.

Neither the satellite-television provider nor the movie studios confirmed reaching such deals. A DirecTV spokesman said discussions were taking place about the issue, characterizing the talks as "good."

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704530204576235202272038280.html#ixzz1IJpHD2qD

I recall seeing rumors of the $30 On-Demand for movies, which is crazy. Perhaps something is about to be coming out from D* on their offerings soon based on this article. Looks like a Variety.com article WSJ is referring to.

2. Apr 1, 2011 #2 of 63
    Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    Why would I pay Directv $30 when I can wait a little longer and the the Bluray...

3. Apr 1, 2011 #3 of 63
    grassfeeder

grassfeeder AllStar

Jan 24, 2011
    I couldn't ever think of a time when I would spend $30 on a movie. Ridiculous!

4. Apr 1, 2011 #4 of 63
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    well maybe they should lower the prices and lower there food costs.

For 3-5+ people $30 seems good vs $8-$15 per person at the movies.

5. Apr 1, 2011 #5 of 63
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    $30??? Not in this lifetime!

I don't even pay that much to own it on Blu-Ray.

6. Apr 1, 2011 #6 of 63
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Normally if commercial theaters are against something, I might be for it.

How they sleep at night charging what they do (especially at the concession stand) is beyond me.

But I suspect they have little to worry about at $30 a pop for a movie...

7. Apr 1, 2011 #7 of 63
    Crevan Daeg

Crevan Daeg Cool Member

Nov 17, 2009
    How funny.... You won't pay $30 to watch the movie in the comfort of your home, but you will drive to a theater miles away, buy tickets, food and drink, sit around strangers who talk and laugh out load and probably spend twice as much for that experience and that's OK.

8. Apr 1, 2011 #8 of 63
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Not when there are $6 or less alternatives, no.

Plus....I don't have sticky floors at home. :D

Or nasty teenagers on their cell phones...

Or...

9. Apr 1, 2011 #9 of 63
    Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    I see about one movie a year at the theater, so $30 for s subpar rental wont get it. Ill take blu-ray and blu-ray 3D with HD audio :)

10. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010

11. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    The only way I see this being worth it at all is if it hits On Demand the same day it hits the theater (which it wont). If I can wait 60 days to see it I can probably wait an extra couple of months to buy the blu-ray. (sometimes even shorter)

12. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    No way! I don't even watch any PPV movies anymore and haven't been to a theater in the past year. I try not to think about the ~$90/mo. I'm already spending on Directv.

13. jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000 Hall Of Fame

Feb 15, 2007
    Manchester NH
    $30 is outrageous.I just paid $41 for an oil change on my toyota yesterday

14. SParker

SParker Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    April fool's?

15. AttiTech

AttiTech Godfather

Feb 21, 2011
    There is a theatre about 30 min from my house that is an old school theatre in the looks of the outside and lobby. You can see the film running over head in the lobby. It's all old school pepsi cups, old school candy boxes and popcorn barrels ect ect. It's only $3 for adults and kids are $1.50 for Matinee (food is cheap too). It's worth the drive to me because hardly anyone outside of that town know about the place, it's cheap, it's old timey fun, and sicne it's not IMAX, hardly anyone goes to it, so no annoying teenagers ect. Better than the $$$ I would pay to take all my nieces, nephews, cousins and my son to the theatre like I usually end up doing or trying to pack them all in my small apartment.

16. grassfeeder

grassfeeder AllStar

Jan 24, 2011
    for $30 my girl and I can go to the local brew pub theater, each order dinner and a pitcher if good beer and catch the movies right after they've left the theater fir $3.00. Way more fun and a chance to get out of the house versus continue to stay in.

17. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    A little education about how the theater business works:

When a movie is released, the movie studio makes most of the ticket sales for the first week. After the first week, the ratio starts to slide towards the theater's favor, but theaters really only make good money *from ticket sales* on movies that stay in the theater 3 weeks or more. And the theater has to pay for their expenses too, which can be considerable. If ticket sales were the only way to make money, theaters would be bankrupt quickly.

Of course, what they neglect to mention is that their main profits come from two areas: concession sales (food & drink) and more recently, pre-movie on-screen advertising.

But, anything that keeps people out of the theater is going to affect all three of these lines of business.

Of COURSE they are going to object to earlier PPV showings (60 days from release, instead of at least 90 days, and often longer), because many popular movies may still be in the theaters, making a LOT of money, and now there is the potential to be losing a big chunk of that profit.

But, realistically, I don't see that many people paying $30 for a PPV, even when it makes economic sense. Most people will refuse to accept that high a price, I think.

18. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    The only movie I can think of in the last couple of years that stayed in a theater more than 60 days was Avatar. Most are out in 30 these days.

19. awblackmon

awblackmon Legend

May 20, 2009
    At $30 maybe this would be interesting if the release was same day as theater release. But even at that price I may still go out because there is only the wife and myself. At $20 I would stay home for sure even though the theater is only 10 min. away.

20. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Look, folks, at the income distribution curve over the past 40+ years, which has really accelerated particularly steep over the past 10 years, moving wealth sharply toward the upper 2-5% of the populace.

DirecTV has had a very clear business plan targeting the upper income levels over these 10+ years, talked about at length on this forum. Instituting a super-tier of PPV at these kinds of levels has been talked about in the trade journals for the last 5+ years, the only thing interesting is that one of the DBS operators (DirecTV) would jump on board rather than one or the other large cablecos.

But then again, look to the demographic that DirecTV has been marketing itself towards, and it makes perfect sense. Now that they are sitting on scads of un-used bandwidth (due at least partially to the hiking of carriage fees from the 'basic cable' channels, which if carried would result in hiking of general tier fees due to the lack of instituting ala-carte carriage), it makes perfect sense.

Make tons of money on a piece of your property that makes zero as it sits there.