1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wyoming propose bill to nullify federal gun laws & jail federal agents.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by cj9788, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003

"Wyoming lawmakers have proposed a new bill that would nullify federal restrictions on guns and jail federal agents attempting to confiscate guns, ammunition magazines or rounds of ammunition.

The bill – HB0104 – states that “any federal law which attempts to ban a semi-automatic firearm or to limit the size of a magazine of a firearm or other limitation on firearms in this state shall be unenforceable in Wyoming.”

The bill is sponsored by eight Wyoming State Representatives ad two State Senators. If passed, the bill would declare any federal gun regulation created on or after January 1, 2013 to be unenforceable within the state.

In addition, the bill would charge federal officials attempting to enforce a federal gun law within the state with a felony – “subject to imprisonment for not more less than one (1) year and one (1) day or more than five (5) years, a fine of not more than two thousand dollars ($2,000.00) five thousand dollars ($5,000.00), or both.” "

This is not intended to be be a discussion on gun control, it seems no matter what it in some way shape or form it is coming.

What I want to talk about is state laws like this proposal that would directly pit state LEO's against Federal LEO's. Would there or could there be some sort of showdown/standoff between the State Police and the ATF or FBI. Can a state even pass a law that would allow for a federal LEO to be arrested for carrying out his duties under federal law?

It just seems crazy to me......

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    When you get knee jerk reactions, they seem to come from both sides.

A state can pass laws that are more restrictive than a federal law, but I know of no way they can pass one that violates federal law. But you know the more I watch politicians, the more convinced I am that being crazy is considered a plus for them! :)

3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The state is going to lose that fight.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    There's a sheriff in Kentucky (and likely a few others) says he will not enforce any gun laws or bans passed, and that his authority exceeds that of Federal law enforcement when it comes to his County. This sheriff is in Northern Kentucky. The new sheriff in Cincinnati wants to sell our tank (OK, armored personnel carrier), maybe he can buy it.

Now, I'm not going to get into whether requiring a background check or assault weapons ban is Constitutional or not, but it's not up to the Sheriff to decide what is or is not Constitutional.

Things do get a bit unusual with Sheriff's. I don't know if it's state wide, but in my hometown county in Ohio, Marion, the only person in the County that could arrest the Sheriff was the County Coroner.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Sorry guys ... but this is not a political forum.

(Club Members may wish to check out the Watercooler on special occasions.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.