1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

X Hard Drives

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by vitality, Apr 23, 2013.

1. vitality

vitality New Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Midwest
    could someone tell me what external hard drive will work with a HR 21-200 receiver. I bought a Fantom Drive - Green Drive eSATA 2.0 and i could not get it to work. I could not see it after the DVR was rebooted.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    find a thread [long] "Recommended drives ..." and read it from bottom

3. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
  4. vitality

vitality New Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Midwest
    has anyone ever not been able to get the Western Digital 1TB (model WDG1S10000) not to work with the Direct TV DVR
    it seems these are next to impossible to find

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    use Search by model name ... for sure you provided not HDD model, but rather WDC "Expander"

if no one used - you should try and post results in that dedicated thread (it would be easy to find an answer for other person)

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Why not just answer his question?

Any WD Green Drive will work well with any HR. I'd also recommend using a docking station instead of an enclosure.

Here's a link to a WD Green drive.

Here's a link to a docking station that we recommend.

How hard is it to help someone?

Rich

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    give a fish to the man... or help him to learn fishing ? big decision ....

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    One easily solved by simply answering his question. Do unto others...

Rich

9. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Teaching him to fish only works if he has a fishing pole or net...

In this case, there are so many different ways to list a drive's name and model (not to mention that manufacturers often change the number slighty to designate new production runs), a search may be tough to craft unless you know exactly what you're looking for. Just answering the question seems the polite thing to do.

1 person likes this.
  10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm disagree on all counts...
    - new models coming each month - so, no I can't provide an URL because there're none
    - to provide the URL, I must spend same amount of time what OP will, with big difference - he will benefit for 100% I'm - for 0%; adding to that he will not learn how to obtain info
    - we have dedicated thread to avoid looking thru scatterired info about , so reading it/searching it will give him a hint; for the heck of reading: he will gather much more info than model ID - how to properly connect/disconnect/internav vs external, enclosures, etc ...

BTW, he got the pole - his computer, he got a net - the Internet and the site ...

Nay, a life should be endeavors, not spoonfeeding. :D

[Damn, when spell checker would be alloed ?]

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ

12. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Rich may have hit on something here. Generally speaking, the WD Green drives are as reliable as any. But the Fantom enclosures have proven to have a spotty track record. You don't want to be recording the entire season of Revenge to find out that some of the eps either did not record, spontaneously deleted themselves, or defauted to the internal HDD when you weren't looking. The only practical backup strategy that seems to work is expensive and clunky (dual-record everything on multiple DVRs), so reliability is pretty important.