1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

XBox 360 owner looking for the right kind of Baseball game

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by djlong, Feb 27, 2010.

1. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I have no idea if this exists, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

When I'm in the mood for a particular kind of simulation game, I'm looking for non-arcade, non-twitch games.

In this case, I'm wondering if there's a baseball game out there that is licensed by MLB (meaning real players, real stats based) that is less about going through the windup and swing, but more about positioning fielders, putting on the hit and run, deciding when to steal, etc.

I used to play Strat-o-matic style simulation games (specifically Pursue the Pennant) back in the 1980s. On the PC (ok, it was an Amiga), Earl Weaver Baseball was my favorite. You'd set up the play and watch the results.

Does this exist? I want to know before I shell out $60. I know it MIGHT exist in existing games, but their advertising is all about controlling the swing of a batter or the twitching you need for the pitcher's windup, etc.

I'm more into strategy than tactics.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Shaqdan

Shaqdan Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    I never played it, but MLB Front Office Manager might be the type of game you are looking for.

3. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    For the XBOX 360 there are only 3 officially licensed MLB games...

MLB2k series

The Bigs series
    MLB Front Office Manager

like Shaqdan said, MLB Front Office Manager may be your best bet...but I heard the game wasn't that good...but it sounds like it might be right up your alley...but, it is only 29.99 so it isn't that big of a dent in your wallet as a 60 dollar game!

4. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I was afraid of that. MLB-FOM has gotten *horrible* reviews.

5. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    An unfortunate side effect of the exclusivity deals that MLB has with 2K and the NFL has with EA is this...less diversity and abundance of games.

At least the MLB/2K deal still allows 1st party MLB games (like MLB10: The Show on the PS3). The NFL/EA deal doesn't allow ANY other NFL games besides ones made by EA.

6. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Legend

May 27, 2003
    Sorry, I can't help with your search for a strategy-based baseball game. Just wanted to say hi to another Amiga user. I created an Amiga hockey game which was released on JumpDisk (if you remember that subscription disk service).

7. Luck255

Luck255 Legend

Mar 4, 2009
    I was hesitant to reply because it's not for the 360 but if you happen to have a wii its a great game. "MLB Power Pros" It has a very deep season mode and you can go into each game and manage them. Defensive alignments, call for bunting, stealing, pitching strategies etc. In exhibition mode you even have to tell your relievers to start warming up. Sorry if this doesn't help because it's not your platform but I thought I would throw it out there.