1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Pass thru ethernet on HR21-200

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lexxsf, Oct 22, 2008.

1. lexxsf

lexxsf New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    I'm trying to get the second ethernet port on my HR21-200 to work with my Xbox 360. I have a Netgear Wireless Game Adapter hooked up to the ethernet on my HR21-200 and ON Demand and Directv2pc works great. However, the Xbox doesn't seem to want to get an IP address. When I run the network setup test in the Xbox Dashboard, it only finds the network adapter as "wired" and then on the IP Address detection part it fails. Is this because I'm using a WGA and not a hardwired connection?

2. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Not sure what's going on there. I have my Slingbox connected via passthrough to my R22-200 and it pulls an IP from my router just fine.

I'd check to make sure your router settings are correct and that it is using DHCP to assign your 360 an IP. Have you tried connecting the 360 directly to the gaming adapter to see if it works that way?

3. lexxsf

lexxsf New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Hooking up the WGA directly to the 360 works fine. I've actually been using the WGA on the 360 and just recently hooked it up to my HR21 to get On Demand. Are there any settings in the HR21 that I need to mess with to turn on the second ethernet port? I basically just plugged up the WGA to the Hr21 and ran the quick setup and everything worked fine.

4. Starchy77

Starchy77 Godfather

Jul 18, 2008
    Shouldnt need any settings on the HR21, I believe it is active anytime something is plugged into it (may want to check to be sure the lights are on the port when it is plugged in). I use the pass through on mine to a second HR21 with no issues.

5. pmpartners

pmpartners New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    I use the pass through with my 360 no problem. No setting to change on either device. I am using a wired connection to my router. Maybe the WGA can not negotiate 2 separate IP addresses, since it is a bridge and not a router. Most are intended to connect a single device to a network. To negotiate multiple IP addresses you would probably need a wireless router or access point that can handle multiple connections and use it to connect to your existing wireless network.

6. puffnstuff

puffnstuff Icon

Sep 2, 2006
    Which WGA ? The one I had won't let me turn off mac cloning . That's what I was told on here but it was so long ago , I can't remember why that mattered . But once explained it made sense .

7. Chip Moody

Chip Moody Legend

Jul 31, 2007
    From what little I know of the WGA's, I'm going to second the theory that it only supports a single device connected to it. Same if you plugged it into an Ethernet switch and tried hanging more than one Ethernet device off the switch...

- Chip