1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

XBOX 360 Red Rings

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by Benny Blades, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benny Blades

Benny Blades Mentor

Jan 5, 2007
    Hey guys...I think I know the answer but wanted to hear if others have had this problem. My 360 is freezing when playing and I get the red rings of death when I turn it on. When the problem started early on, MS told me to check my cable/connections...they even said to "try someone else’s cable". Well the damn thing is red ringing of death now...time for surgery back at MS??

If it has to go in, are they fixing known problems or is there a possibility it could eat crow again? I also heard the turn around is high and you get someone else’s unit back that was sent in for repair…..true?? I was going to write my info at the bottom in a Sharpie!

Benny Blades

2. HDsnob

HDsnob Cool Member

Jan 21, 2007
    sorry man, but it's due for a trip to MS. I sent mine in for the same reason and got it back pretty quick (less than 2 weeks - tracking numbers were supplied both ways). I made some distinguishing marks on mine to make sure I got it back and I did, but I could have just been lucky. good luck!

3. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Red rings are usually from overheating, although there are other reasons for it. Is your 360 confined? If so, can you get it more air flow?

As for what you will get back, a lot of boxes were being replaced with the 65nm motherboard. Its a smaller chipset and runs cooler. I have heard of people getting crap back, but they were usually able to get it swapped out again after calling MS. Good luck.

4. Benny Blades

Benny Blades Mentor

Jan 5, 2007
    HDsnob....thanks for the quick reply! If you don't mind me asking, where did you make your little marks? 2 weeks aint bad...I can live with that!

5. Benny Blades

Benny Blades Mentor

Jan 5, 2007
    Phat....Outside of opening up the box, how do I know if I'm getting the 65nm MB?? Yes, my 360...like my HR20 have plenty of air flow! I want to make sure I don't get any crap back if you know what I mean!

Benny Blades

6. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    There is no way without opening your 360(unless it has HDMI). That has been MS's fix of choice lately. They were at first replacing heat sinks, but since the release of the new MB they have been using that instead. Your serial number is a good way to track your box.

7. geno58

geno58 Cool Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Mine is doing the same thing. Where exactly did you send it too???? Do you have an address. :hurah:

8. redfiver

redfiver DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 18, 2006
    They send you a box. I just got mine back yesterday.

you can go to xbox.com and set up a ticket, or call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX

pretty easy to do. Mine took almost 3 weeks and I got a refurb back. They had my unit in shop for a while, so i don't know if they tried to fix it and couldn't, or what. But, it works fine, so i'm okay. this one is still under the 3year warranty, so if it breaks again, at least they'll fix it.

9. shollowa74

shollowa74 Mentor

Jan 24, 2007
    I just lost my launch unit due to the Red Ring issue. It took me about two weeks to get back a refurb unit. The real bad news is that the refurb unit lasted about 20 minutes - literally after I got it hooked back up and then it tanked again.

I am curious to hear your experience. I worry Microsoft is rushing things and not fixing things properly.

10. Benny Blades

Benny Blades Mentor

Jan 5, 2007
    That stinks...keep us posted on how things work out for you....I'm calling today to get a box sent to me so it can go in for repair.

11. countysky

countysky Cool Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Yeah, my X-Box got the rings of death also. I had to send it back to get fixed and I miss it greatly:( Luckily, it's due to return here shortly, so when it does, I think I may hold it close to me as I sleep at night.

countysky
    satellite internet

12. MalibuRacing

MalibuRacing Legend

Mar 2, 2007
    Our first unit continually locked-up from the get-go. I returned it to the store and got a replacement. Our second one lasted about 6 months, then got the red ring of death. Microsoft said it takes 2 weeks to get return box. I got fustrated, so I took it back to Best Buy and they gave me a new one on the spot, no questions asked. Kudos to Best Buy, BTW. I still have the Xbox Coffin (return box) in case this one dies. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.