1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Xbox 360 vs Roku - HD VOD

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Jason Whiddon, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    Im needing to add another box, and the Roku 3 is high on the list. Im using Amazon HD VOD a lot for tv shows with my Roku 2, and the full HD 720p (3.5mbits) is very very good. I was wondering if anyone had seen this on a Roku 2/3 as well as a 360 and had any input. They reason Im bouncing between a Roku 3 and 360 is that the 360 has the ESPN apps I want as well. I'd love to just be able to use the 360 for Netflix, Amazon and ESPN3, but PQ is a concern for me.

Ive personally seen where some Blu-ray player Amazon apps do not look as good as the Roku 2.

Thanks.

2. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    My Roku 3 has, by my interpretation, great PQ. One of the best things is it's ability to search across clients. In other words, if I'm looking for a movie, it'll search Netflix *and* Amazon Prime and tell me who has it.

My caveat is that my Roku is on a bedroom HDTV so a 24" set might not be the most discerning hardware on which to judge. I can certainly tell, however, when I'm watching a baseball game, *exactly* when the bifferring has caught up on MLB.TV. I'll get a soft picture at first and then, about 15 seconds in, suddenly the picture will get MUCH sharper. (I have a fiber-based internet connection but the Roku is hooked up via Powerline adapter.