1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox, GameCube, PlayStation: Retailer Friendly?

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by Steve Mehs, May 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    If you've been paying attention to the game system (Nintendo, XBox, etc.) market, you would find a large customer following for its products. This could be a great retail opportunity for dealers looking to diversify their businesses.

The big three game systems - XBox (Microsoft), GameCube (Nintendo), PlayStation (Sony) - are offering some of the greatest retail sales opportunities on the consumer electronics front. And, why is this? Let's enter the mind of the famished gaming geek...

~~~~~I want to buy an XBox at a price of $199, three or four games for $50 each, some accessories, which can cost in excess of $40 and I want to keep coming back for more games~~~~~

Potentially, this person could spend $350 to $400, and if they keep coming back for more games, the benefits could be endless - especially when the gaming companies keep manufacturing new games on a weekly basis. Plus, when next generation gaming systems hit the market, retailers sell-out in a matter of minutes.

XBox - www.xbox.com - $199 (for the box and one controller):

The XBox, manufactured by Bill Gates and Co., offers such features as 64 MB of memory, a built-in hard drive, four game controller ports, an Ethernet port for a broadband connection, 256 audio channels, a front-loading DVD tray, a multisignal audio-video connector that allows for easy hookup to televisions and home theater systems, HDTV capabilities (movie and gaming), Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, and the box can act as a DVD player (DVD movie playback capabilities with remote control, sold separately).

GameCube - www.nintendogamecube.com - $149 (for the box and one controller):

The GameCube, manufactured by the game vets of Nintendo, has a compact design that makes it portable and convenient, four controller ports, 40 MB of memory, two high-speed serial ports, a high-speed parallel port, 64 audio channels, broadband capabilities, games are on slim 3-inch proprietary optical disks that can store about 1.5 gigabytes and it's interactive with Game Boy Advance (a portable, handheld Nintendo game product, which can also be used as a GameCube controller).

PlayStation 2 - www.us.playstation.com - $199 (for the box, one Dualshock 2 analog controller, one AV cable (RCA), demo disc and a power plug):

The PlayStation 2, manufactured by Sony, can double as a CD/DVD player, has 32 MB of memory, two game controller ports, 48 audio channels, broadband enabled, HDTV movie support, compatible with all existing PlayStation games and most accessories, two USB ports and two memory card slots.

Keep in mind, all three game systems have numerous games and accessories to sell separately. For more information on games, visit www.videogames.com. Plus, check out the game system company Web sites for more information on accessories and other needful details.

To become a XBox dealer, visit retail.xbox.com.

From SkyRetailer (Used with Permission)

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Yes, but in your opinion, what is the best
    game system to buy for someone who
    has not been into video games?

Nick :smoking:

3. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    I like the Atari 2600 myself - that mastadon of computer gaming.

The new boxes are great too, but some of those 3D effects make me queasy as I play.

4. Rage

Rage Fromer Member

Aug 19, 2001
    It depends on what kind of game you're into, Nick.

5. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Rage, read the post fer crissake !!! :rolleyes:

6. Rage

Rage Fromer Member

Aug 19, 2001
    Oh. It depends on what kind of games they're into. Age?

7. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Nick, I'd suggest a Cube for family friendly games, and a PS2 for more violent games, action games, and RPGs. I don't have great faith in the future of the Xbox, otherwise, it's aimed at roughly the same market the PS2 is.

8. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The guy at my local WM says that PS2 is backward compatible with PS1 games. What are the +'s & -'s of PS2?

9. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I'm not a computer programmer...just a 28-year-old that hasn't grown up yet, and still plays lots of video games...but here goes:

I've played all three systems...the XBox, PS2, and Nintendo GameCube (NGC).

All three, as already mentioned, are terrific. I personally bought an XBox the day MS slashed the price. I chose it over the PS2 and the NGC. Here's why:

The XBox, as I've found out, can do so much more than any other system. Just a few days ago I found out that on select XBox games that have a soundtrack, you can copy your favorite songs off of CD and onto the MASSIVE XBox hard drive (64 MB of memory! Bigger than any other system, plus up to a 10 gig hard drive!), and then create your own "playlist" as the soundtrack for a car racing game/any game that offers that feature. That's just one plus.

There's also the possibility of online play w/ a broadband connection (PS2 also has this capability), with an ethernet connection.

The thing that drew me in was the graphics. The 733mH Intel Celeron processor, along with a 233 MHz custom-designed X-Chip moves along so fast & well, it's hard to believe the system moves along 300 polygons per second . Amazing!

That's where "the rubber meets the road." Holy cow, the graphics are totally amazing. On some games, it actually looks like you're playing a game as a cartoon, it looks that real. There are no hesitations, digital burps, or skips (unless the game/DVD is scratched to begin with, I guess) on the games. Just the way the game flows...totally amazing.

And yes, I've played the PS2 extensively , and quite a bit of the NGC too. The plus side to the PS2 is the backward capability of playing PS1 games (of which I still own the system and about 10 games), so I thought long & hard about it. The DVD playback on the PS2 is also more user friendly...and the NGC has sweet graphics, excellent early titles, and the best (IMO) game controller of them all (but the new MS XBox "S" controller is a very close 2nd).

Overall, unlike Mark, I see a BRIGHT future for the XBox. Yeah, there aren't a whole lot of games out right now, but there will be. Just surf any vid game website & the "preview" section, and you'll see. A small number of the more familiar titles won't ever make it to the XBox, which is a drawback...but who cares? The games, both graphically speaking and overall game flow/quickness point of view makes the XBox the winner in my book. The possibilities are endless! It's like a small PC that plays games...and don't be surprised if the XBox keyboard comes out soon, and you can double your system for both vid games and internet purposes.

Drawbacks? The controller that comes with the XBox upon purchase, is too big IMHO. Mainly 'cuz I'm used to the PS1 controller...but take your unwrapped/unused new XBox original controller to EB or Babbages, and trade it for the new MS "S" controller. Another drawback is the DVD kit...I don't need one, I already have a DVD player...but it's pricey, and the remote is not as user-friendly as the PS2 DVD playback addition.

All this coming from a guy who hates PC's/Windows...yeah, I'm a "Macintosh" guy...but I'm learning so much about computers lately, and when I read about the XBox, I salivated. I've found it's totally worth the $199. And if you do what I did, you'll score...I brought in a bunch of PS1 games I don't play anymore, and got $5-$6 for them. Sure, it ain't much, but it made paying $25 for a $50 game pretty easy. Plus, you really only need 1-2 games. I've got NFL Fever 2002 and RalliSport Challenge , and I don't see a need for a new game anytime soon.

All that to say that if I could, I'd own all three...starting with the NGC, and then the PS2. The XBox took a LOT of getting used to...but now I won't go back. The new games/titles are coming, and even if you don't want to play them online, you'll still be happy you got one.

All this from a guy who only bought vid game systems for the football titles :blush: !

My vote = XBox

10. Ryan

Ryan Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    Is the hard drive on an XBox (user) upgradeable ala Tivo or Replay where it's not really supported by not entirely prohibited either.

11. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Urrm, not quite sure if I follow what you're asking. My "answer" is that I'm not smart enough/willing to open up my XBox and fool around with components. I'm willing to leave well enough alone.

However, if you're interested, I'd check out this 'site. I'm not endorsing this 'site, nor am I saying everything discussed here is legal/ethical, but... :confused: you may find what you're looking for here.

--BearsFan

12. Rage

Rage Fromer Member

Aug 19, 2001
    If you like sports then get a PS2 because it has the best controller. I wouldn't trust X-Box because I've seen negative things about it lately like publishers pulling out and no GTA3. Big risk IMO.

Gamecube will have more games for kids and the sequals that a lot of people love of some franchises that's been done to death IMO. Controller is terrible for sports.

PS2 wins hands down but might have the shortest lifespan since its been out the longest. Also, games won't be very good for GC or X-Box for at least a year and the PS2 is now entering its prime with 3rd generation games.

13. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I think folks will miss out on the system of their choice if all they do is read publications/magazines/online reviews. Most of the reviewers are reviewing systems from their point of view, as computer programmers/video game enthusiasts, not the common man's point of view. It's a bad idea (IMO) to base a decision based solely on what one person in a magazine says.

Also, you've mentioned GTA 3, which was just announced as a future title for the XBox...not to mention that Grand Theft Auto is a franchise originially on the PlayStation...some may not know that, and it's pure conjecture to say the XBox is inferior because a single title/a few titles won't be carried on the XBox.

That would be like someone saying "Forget the PS2 or XBox, because they don't have any Super Mario Games." :rolleyes: I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, just further clarifying what you're saying.

Like I said in my long-winded, drawn-out post above, go to any video game website, click on games for the XBox, and you'll see there are a TON of excellent titles, many of which are already on PS2 or NGC coming out soon...and not in a year, all before this Christmas.

Not trying to be a jerk, just further clarifying. The PS2 is a fine system indeed.

--BearsFan

14. Rage

Rage Fromer Member

Aug 19, 2001
    I own the PS2 and rented the X-Box and GC a few times and I wasn't impressed with either one. I put little stock in magazine reviews because one will say a game is good and another will say it sucks.

"Also, you've mentioned GTA 3, which was just announced as a future title for the XBox..."

Link? I read a story the past week or so that it was pulled. I also might have read that EA pulled out which would make the system worthless for sports fans IMO. I only skimmed past some stories or it might have been on a message board so I'm not sure if EA did pull out. The MS Football Fever is one of the few games I hate with a passion and the other games suck other than the Halo which is fun with another player.

GC Madden kind of sucked with the controller and it felt cheap to me. The other games didn't really interest me much. Star Wars is ok but only a rental to me.

Anyway, the PS2 is the one to get.

I was going to get another system and decided not to after playing them. If the X-box was $199 at that time then I would have probably bought it before playing it much.

And playing sports with the PS2 controller is like second nature or something because I don't even have to think about what button to push or where it's at.

Rockstar to Xbox: "No GTA for You!"
    GTA license exclusive to Sony for three years.
    http://xbox.ign.com/articles/360/360274p1.html

So if it comes to XBox it won't be until around 2005 and by then I'll be playing part 5.

15. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    You're close, actually. EA made online gaming exclusive to the PS2, not the games...thankfully.

Sheesh..."your opinion." :rolleyes:

I happen to think that NFL Fever 2002 is by far the best graphically rendered game in the history of football video games. I've been playing Madden since the early days...since the game was first introduced. I agree with you here...I still prefer Madden to NFL Fever when it comes to gameplay, but the PS2 Madden was weak, and the XBox version was simply a port. There is yet to be a perfect football title...on any system! But IMO, it'll be on the XBox. It's got the goods that the PS2, NGC, and others don't. They're limited without the capabilities of the XBox. Wait 'til Madden 2003 and NFL Fever 2003 comes out.

NFL Fever might not be the best, but it doesn't "suck" either. Madden is still the game to beat...now if only the graphic capabilities of the XBox were taken advantage of by EA...

Again, like anything else, it takes getting used to. Using the MS "S" controller for XBox is like using any PS controller.

Basing a rating on whether or not a system "sucks" based on the availability of just ONE GAME strikes me as silly, IMO.

BTW, the PS 3 is already in the works, and could be out by next Christmas. From the specs I've read (check E3 websites), it'll come just "close" to the capabilities of the XBox.

--BearsFan

16. Rage

Rage Fromer Member

Aug 19, 2001
    "I happen to think that NFL Fever 2002 is by far the best graphically rendered game in the history of football video games."

Did you see what Bret Favre looked like? I thing the graphics blow on that game. The white chalkline looks cool though. And the gameplay is horrible. I hear that the next Sega game looks good for it.

"Again, like anything else, it takes getting used to. Using the MS "S" controller for XBox is like using any PS controller."

I disagree. The PS2 controller is perfect.

"Basing a rating on whether or not a system "sucks" based on the availability of just ONE GAME strikes me as silly, IMO."

I never said it sucks and this game is a game of the year. I just said that most games that I've played on it sucked.

"BTW, the PS 3 is already in the works, and could be out by next Christmas. From the specs I've read (check E3 websites), it'll come just "close" to the capabilities of the XBox."

Specs don't mean anything. The quality of the games is what makes the system. Nintendo NES blew away the Sega Master system in games while the Master system had better specs. Ditto for other systems over the years. The games are what makes the system.

17. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Ok, fine. I get the impression that I will always be wrong, and you will always be right, no matter what. I know several people like this, and it's pointless to try to be objective and give an opinion that I don't think is fact, unlike the other person.

Ok.

YOU WIN!! YOU ARE THE BEST, MOST SMART HUMAN BEING ON THE EARTH!!!!!!! :lol:

I am wrong, you are right, case closed. :rolleyes:

--BearsFan

18. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Thanks to all, but especially BearsFan. Your 'honey' of a review was most helpful to me - "fair and balanced" as Shep would say. At age 63, I'm going to get my first game system ever, and as of now, it will be the PS2 - to add to my incredible array of electronic entertainment - including
    2 IRDs feeding 7 TVs 10 ways (soon to be 11)

19. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I must be slow, seeing as I can't tell if this is an insult or a genuine thanks.

Either way, rest assured you won't be disappointed with the PS2. I know several people who love theirs, and wouldn't trade it even for an XBox or GameCube. The backwards capability is awfully nice.

So....errr...emmm...uhhh...thanks...I think.

--BearsFan

20. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I wrote about BearsFan's post...
    "Your 'honey' of a review was most
    helpful to me - "fair and balanced" as
    Shep would say."

BearsFan responded...
    "I can't tell if this is an insult or a
    genuine thanks."