1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Xbox One event roundup: Microsoft reveals its next-gen gaming console

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Athlon646464, May 21, 2013.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Xbox One event roundup: Microsoft reveals its next-gen gaming console

"Will Microsoft's Xbox One be the one gaming console to purchase over the Wii U and PS4? That's a question we'll have to wait until later this year to answer, so let's stick to the present. Redmond made a huge showing across both the software and hardware fronts today, ensuring gamers will have lots to look forward to. Whether you missed parts of the keynote or are looking for specific stories from the event, we've got you covered. Click HERE to find a full directory of today's Xbox One news."

[​IMG]
    Engadget

2. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
  3. rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    I wonder if the HDMI in will work properly with DirecTV tuners and DVR's. If so, unless Sony shows me something nearly as impressive with its PS then MS may have nailed it.

4. Devo1237

Devo1237 Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    The lack of backwards compatibility will make me sit on the sidelines till a full slate of decent games are released. The nausea inducing interface doesn't help either.

5. woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    i'm hoping the xbox 360 price drops, i'll get one of those to do some gaming.

6. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    Pretty underwhelming really and probably will not be compatible with DirecTV. Hopefully I'll be wrong about that. The XboxOne will also not play used games and this point also seems like a pretty big misstep. Perhaps this will simply be the lay of the land going forward as Sony has yet to confirm or deny their plans on that front.

Will go with the PS4 since I already own a PS Vita and am pretty excited about their compatibility. Can't wait to see what E3 will bring about.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Both Microsoft and Sony went this route. With the complete architecture redesign, it's not a surprise.

8. luckydob

luckydob Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    Where are you seeing that they will not let you play used games? That is a flat out lie.

9. YakeVlad

YakeVlad Legend

Aug 12, 2011
    I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are basing your comment about used games on the recent Wired article. However, Microsoft has stated that is not the case, that the Xbox One WILL support used games as referenced here and here as well as in Microsofts own Q&A page for the Xbox One.

Also, Wired updated its "original feature noting that Microsoft contacted them to clarify a plan is in place for used games, but did not detail it. One of Microsoft's official Xbox Support twitter accounts says there are in fact "no fees" associated with used games and the Wired feature is incorrect." Wired's updated article still makes mention of a fee.

The details on how Xbox One deals with used games are sketchy at the moment with Microsoft saying they will be supported but it will be different than in the current and previous Gen consoles.

10. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
  11. ronton3

ronton3 AllStar

Mar 15, 2006
    I could care less about the games, but I may get one to supplement the ROKU and ATV. Just to try something different. ron

12. NewView

NewView AllStar

Jan 15, 2007
    Goodby Xbox ... Hello PS4

13. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    Looks like DirecTV is working with Xbox/Microsoft. looking at this http://news.xbox.com/2013/09/ent-xbox-one-smartglass. Those are DirecTV channel # locations if I am not mistaken. Now if Smart Glass can work as well as they say in the article this could/would be very cool.