1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yahoo Connected TV Watches You Watching It

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Athlon646464, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    "Today's television watching experience no longer consists of a dumb box beaming images to couch potatoes with one hand on the remote and another jammed into a bag of microwave popcorn. It's much more interactive than that, from fast forwarding through commercials via DVR or posting an update to Facebook. Taking it all a step further, Yahoo is making its Connected TV platform keep tabs on you, the viewer."

More Here

[​IMG]

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Recently, I talked with a Comcast exec who said they are swapping out set-top boxes in the Jacksonville, FL DMA for new 'sensor' boxes that will not only track viewing patterns, but will detect the number of warm bodies sitting in front of the tv. I'm hoping it's IR technology and not a video camera.

Either way, I think I've found a new use for aluminum foil!

3. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Holy crap!

I can remember my great grandmother 'getting ready' to watch TV. She would 'dress up' like she was going out because she thought 'they' could see her like she could see 'them'. She couldn't watch Milton Berle because she was so embarrassed to do so. :blink:

It was around 1955 in my grandmother's house in Farmington, CT. I can remember the headphones she wore because she was 'hard of hearing', and the little b&w screen in the big wooden console.

4. sledgehammer1367066128

sledgehammer1367066128 New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Might be interesting as far as making Neilsen obsolete as long as the process is anonymous.

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Reminds me of HAL 9000 from 2001 A Space Odyssey.