1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Yamaha YSP-5100 Night Listening Mode

Discussion in 'Home Theater Audio' started by kstevens, Apr 16, 2013.

1. kstevens

kstevens Icon

Mar 26, 2003
    The literature for the ysp-5100 shows that it has a night listening mode. I just purchased the system, but can't figure out how to select the mode. Anyone with the ysp-5100 know how?

Thanks,

Ken

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    If it has that feature then the information should be in the Owner's Manual. You can also try asking Yamaha Customer Service for help.

3. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    I'll poke around in the booklet in a few. I always find down volume works pretty well though. Never tried the NL mode.

My 5100 replaced a YSP-1000 I had for years. What an improvement! I have a 735 sq ft master bedroom that is wider than it is deep and the new reduced set YSPs won't do that much space so I grabbed the 5100 before they were dropped and lost forever. Amazing fullness and clarity that the 1000 lacked not that it was bad but this is very nearly a real system experience.

In the right conditions this baby is the stuff! I did have to set room sizing and height manually in order for the YPAQ system to properly auto calibrate to the room which the older unit discovered on its own. But once so calibrated and I get a complete surround experience out of it.

Don "i am still finding it surprisingly good after several months of use" Bolton

4. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Night listening mode is not a feature in the YSP line. On the big iron yep. Makes sense really as the basis of the YSP is to divide up the full range signal to bounce it around the room. Wouldn't work well diluted.

There was a mode on models after my YSP-1000 that had an extremely localized beam focus on where the remote was pressed from but that mode is not available on the 5100 I am sure due to those delightful full range tweeters that make the top end sound so much cleaner than the old systems lacking them.

Don "just wick it down and enjoy" Bolton