1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YAP: Record dialog default selection.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TigerDriver, Oct 21, 2007.

Which record option to you change most frequently

1. Keep Until

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Start

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  3. Stop

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigerDriver

TigerDriver Electronics Engineer

Jul 27, 2007
    In an ever-vigilant attempt to reduce keystrokes required for common tasks...

When entering the Record dialog, the "cursor" lands on "Record It." This is reasonable. Pressing Left arrow currently positions the cursor on "Keep Until" option.

Which option do you change most frequently?

2. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I voted but I don't really care. Over-engineering.

3. TigerDriver

TigerDriver Electronics Engineer

Jul 27, 2007
    The sole purpose of this poll is ascertain which option folks use the most. So, I'm glad you voted--even though you don't care about whatever it is that you don't care about--and I hope others will, too.

Two canonical properties of a good user interface are consistency and predictability. Predictability means that the interface seems to anticipate what you want to accomplish. It does that either by heuristics or statistics. The former (in this example) could be considered over-engineering. However failure to set default behavior based upon statistical information is non-engineering.

Its fine for consistency's sake that the cursor always defaults to the top choice in pick-lists; but for predictability's sake the items in the pick list should be ordered according to probability of selection. That's good engineering.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Stop... for sporting events that run long.

5. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I have my Recording defaults set to be correct for 90% of my recordings: 1 minute padding on start/stop. So the one I would change is exactly what Stuart says, Stop and for exactly the same reason; sporting events (or live events.) Rather rare.

Cheers,
    Tom

6. jes

jes Icon

Apr 20, 2007
    Start, 1 minute early, but I set it in my defaults to I no longer need to change it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.