1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

"YES Interactive Only On DirecTV" Launches as First-Ever Interactive Content for MLB

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Earl Bonovich, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=887208&highlight=

2. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    C'mon D* make the H20 interactive already!!! Hey Earl, reading that statement I take it though that YES Interactive is only available to those within the Yankee territory, correct?

3. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I am not sure if it is just Interactive for YES DMA... I'll ask next time I talk to DirecTV..

As for the H20... it is coming.

4. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    They said it is only interactive for the NY DMA.

As for the interactivity for the H20 - can we expect BEFORE the end of THIS baseball season?

5. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I don't have any dates on it... so I can't say for sure.

6. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    :grin: I say big woop. The only people that can get this are the few in the NY area. No one with the RSN package can get it as the games would be blacked out.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060726/tc_nm/directv_dc_2

"Out-of-market YES subscribers on DirecTV and the bulk of the YES viewers, on such cable systems as Time Warner Cable and Cablevision, are so far left out, though YES said it would be interested in branching out in the future."

Another "nitch" gimmick for DirecTV like so many recently that leave so many without.

7. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    I tried out this feature while watching part of yesterday's Yankees game. It was nice to be able to get scores and standings. I was disappointed that the interactive feature didn't work during commercials. I also couldn't get the "Bonus Cam" feature to work -- not sure if I was doing something wrong, or if it wasn't active during yesterday's game.

8. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Its been reported elsewhere that the YES Interactive feature DOES work outside the NY DMA.

9. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    They don't want you to be distracted from the commercials! The Bonus cam was working yesterday, although it did seem to have a bit more hesitation coming up than usual.

10. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    Great additional feature - stats, scores of all games at a touch (while still being able to watch the game) LOVE IT! :)

11. mailiang

mailiang Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    Springsteen...
    The way I understand it is, that the service is available to all DTV customers with interactive receivers. Local Yankee customers are offered an exchange for the newer receivers for free. I'm not surprised that Direct was first to offer this service to YES fans since Murdock and Steinbrenner are old buddys.;)

Ian

12. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    It looks like D* still has some kinks to work out with YES interactive. Tonight on my R15 the Bonus cam is not working. When I click the blue button it switches to the bonus cam but then immediately reverts back to the standard feed. Also, when I'm watching YES and I click on the Prev channel button or the Guide button on my remote it always switches to channel 201 for no apparent reason.

13. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I could care less about NY sports. Big fregin' deal.

14. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks for the insight.

15. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    You know it makes a difference to the few of us that live outside NY. We see DTV spending this "limited bandwidth" on one DMA and sports at that. DTV isn't a cable company that serves one market and they make sure we know that. Yet they they seem to cater to one market. That's fine. At least we know their priorities.

16. stef92

stef92 New Member

Aug 15, 2006
    I HAD the interactive features on YES. They disappeared over the weekend along with my caller ID.

NOTE: Bonus cam only works when the game is being broadcast from Yankee Stadium.

17. mailiang

mailiang Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    Springsteen...
    I haven't had a problem with the interactive feature yet, but using the prev channel button, channel guide, or even sometimes the exit button brings me to the 201 info channel. I have contacted DVR Tech Support and they are aware of the issues with YES, and it only seems to affect the R15. A software update is being planned for September ;)

Ian

18. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    If the plan is to have this available just for Yankees fans living in the NYC market, then I agree with you. But I assume that this is a pilot for future rollout in other markets. DTV has been fairly clear that they want to provide interactive TV capabilities.

19. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I would guess this depends on the local networks (YES) that choose to participate or that DTV choosed to talk to. Given that, I don't see it being something most DTV viewers will be able to enjoy. It's a cool feature, but how wide spread?

20. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    I agree with the above. I dont get any RSN's because I live near Phila and NY so no matter what RSN's get this function in the future, people in certain areas like me will never be able to take advantage of them.

I could think of many other features and many new channels that would benefit a much larger audience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.