1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another Diplexer Wiring Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Montel, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Montel

Montel Mentor

Jul 20, 2007
    I am currently in a temporary rental and I can't run extra coax wire where I would like and I need to solve an OTA input problem.

I have done quite a bit of reading on other posts and didn't quite find my answer.

I would like to diplex in an OTA HD signal to connect to the antenna input on the back of my HR20-700 for local HD stations (and even to the ant input on my plasma).

I only have one RF-6 coax running from a central location (this location has both the Directv coax and the available OTA signals) to my tv & receiver.

At the inside where the TV is is a PI-21 power inserter, on the roof is a new slimline dish.

I would think I could buy 2 diplexers and install them inline on the main coax? But I don't know exactly where to put them.

One diplexer after the PI-21 or before?
    Second diplexer at my central location?

Could someone explain exactly where to go with them....

Thanks in advance!

2. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I don't think you can Diplex OTA into your System.

3. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    It's not recommended to diplex OTA into SWiM but it is possible. It will not work with DECA however.

If I were to try it, I'd put the diplexer between the PI and the receiver and the other at your central location where the OTA coax is.

4. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Thanks for that input.

5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Correct....and that's just about the only way it will work.

6. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Great Info!!!

7. Montel

Montel Mentor

Jul 20, 2007
    Thanks! I will buy 2 diplexers today!!!

8. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Let us know how it works out!

9. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Just FYI, only some diplexers will work with SWM. There is a control channel between the receivers and the SWM, down at 2.3MHz. Many diplexers won't pass this to the SWM. Hopefully someone can post the model numbers of diplexers that will work, I just don't have access to that info at the moment.

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    For the info about them: https://installeroasis.com/nas-std-9501-satellite-diplexer-for-directv-swim-2-pack-pr-160.html

For a better price: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...r-Passing-(STD9501)&c=Diplexers and Taps&sku=

11. Montel

Montel Mentor

Jul 20, 2007
    I installed 2 PVDP3 diplexers in line in my system. The first was installed outside where my off air source was and the satelite feed meet.

The second was inside after the Power Inserter.

No luck with getting the HD off air over this - however DirecTV still worked perfectly.

I even tried hooking up the off air line to my TV antenna input to see if it would work and it didn't.

I don't think I have a good enough HD Signal coming in on those cable lines like I did in my old neighborhood - and/or the diplexers are not passing the HD off air at all.

12. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Some have gotten other services to exist on a SWiM setup to varrying degrees. Others not so much. By far the best route will be to make another hole

13. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    You could try to put only OTA on the one coax cable (no diplexers) and run that to your tv. That should tell you if the diplexer loss is causing the problem or it's just too weak of a signal to work even with a separate cable.

14. Lije Baley

Lije Baley AllStar

Dec 7, 2003
    I use a SWM-3 dish for my RV. I too have diplexed OTA signals after the PI. The signals are fed to two DVRs. Both DVRs always see the Directv signal. Sometimes, only one DVR sees the OTA signal, although the TV can see the OTA signal if the cable is directly connected to it. However, it's not always the same DVR that cannot see the OTA signal! I've discovered that rebooting the DVR corrects the problem (at least it did yesterday. I've only done this once, so I'm not sure if will always fix the issue.) The point is, if your diplexing is not successful at first, try again...