1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another HR34 / Genie Thread - some questions before I bite

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cosmo115, Oct 15, 2012.

1. cosmo115

cosmo115 AllStar

Feb 7, 2008
    I currently have two HR24s and one R22 and I'll be replacing the R22 and I have Whole Home DVR, DirecTV2PC etc.

1) Is the HR34 worth it? FYI I can get one for $98 installed and I didn't even try to talk them down further.
    2) Are there still a lot of bugs?
    3) Is it that much slower than the HR24?
    4) Can I really go back 5 weeks to watch any episode of any show or if I turn on a show late? (see last two Granted! items in the Compare box at the bottom HERE.
    5) Do I need professional installation? Reason being, one DTV rep said yes and one said no and if I don't, I can maybe get an even better deal.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I would say yes, if you want to record 5 things at once.
    Not really, there are a few like DIRECTV2PC doesn't work with it (and probably never will.)
    No, it's faster than the DVRs were with the SD UI but not quite as instantaneous as HR24, especially with the first push of a button.

Those are probably future features, you can't do them now.

It depends. With your 2 HR24s you would have a total of 9 tuners in use. If you aren't comfortable with rewiring your system to add a SWM-16, if you're not even sure what that would take, you might consider the installation option.

3. cosmo115

cosmo115 AllStar

Feb 7, 2008
    Thank you for all the great information!!

I'm a little surprised that DTV can put those two features on their website and the features aren't even implemented yet. Maybe I'll call and complain about the false advertising and get them to give me the HR34 for free. :lol:

Either way, I think having them install it would probably be best.

4. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    I would check out the current software issues thread to see if there are any show stoppers for you there.

There are still enough bugs that some frequent posters are putting "Genie back in the bottle".

Personally, my only real issue has been freeze-ups a couple of times that required a reboot.

Regarding the Directv marketing, I read the features you referenced and I guess my only thought is that they are so vague that technically they can do it right now such as "Start programs at the beginning if you tune in late." Sure, you can do that right now, as long as the show is being recorded or "Catch up on past episodes,as far back as 5 weeks" you can also do right now if you have a series link for the show.

My guess is they actually are referencing some upcoming feature since they claim Dish cannot do either.

5. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Could the "5 weeks" feature be referring to VOD? I have found past episodes of several shows that I somehow missed recording. I was able to get about 5 previously aired episodes through the search feature, which sent me to VOD programming. It really was pretty cool. And a lifesaver!!

6. cosmo115

cosmo115 AllStar

Feb 7, 2008
    Thank you, everyone!! I appreciate it.

Just to give some closure, I spoke to a DTV rep and they said the 15 minute feature is definitely there, but they also said they haven't personally played around with the HR34 yet. :confused:

Either way, I spoke to another retention rep and with very little effort on my part, they ended up giving me the HR34 for free and $10 off each month and I just had to pay $49 for installation. The best part is it's getting installed tomorrow. :eek::joy:

Thanks again!!

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Aha! Cool.

Enjoy!

8. MRM

MRM AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    Their web site tells me it's not available. :confused:

9. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    you have to call.

10. MRM

MRM AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    Sorry about hijacking someone else's thread. What is the price of it and do have to have existing DVRs to other TVs or do the smaller units replace those DVRs?

11. tomski35

tomski35 AllStar

Sep 7, 2007
    I called today and they quoted me $376 included a mandatory $49 for install on a swap. I've got 9 tuners now, so no need for a new switch. I have cck and swim. What the hell do they need an install for?!

12. ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    I have an HR24 and HR34. I use DIRECTV2PC without a problem.