1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another OTA and HR10-250 question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ElVee, Jan 26, 2009.

1. ElVee

ElVee Legend

Nov 27, 2006
    I currently have two HR20-700's, an HR21-100 and a D11 SD receiver (a lot of money tied up in extra receivers per month)

I want to use my old HR10-250 strictly for OTA. I connected it but don't see any channels (it's been disconnected since the summer when I got the HR21). I was going to go through the guided setup again, but it tells me to call DirecTv first to activate.

Does DirecTv charge a monthly fee for using this box strictly for OTA or is the activation just this? I certainly do not want to pay another monthly fee for a box that is not getting DirecTv channels.

2. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    on the new models like the hr2x series, in order to use the box for anything (ota much less directv service), it must be activated by directv which will charge you the rate of 4.99/mth for the additional box. This will mirror the services on your account to that receiver also. You can NOT use it simply for OTA reception without activating the IRD itself.

However on the HR10-250 I know you use to be able to watch OTA without service for directv. It limited you to watch; but not record and the dual live buffers were set at 30 mins. Onless this changed you should be able to do it; however you must go into the menu and set it before anything will work. PS there will be no guide data either.

You can add a AM21 if the tv set in question is hooked up to the HR21 you mentioned to receive OTA. It is a one time chrage for the addon; but no monthly fee.

If it is another tv all togeather, then simply get a digital converter box to do the same thing as I mentioned above.

3. jwciv

jwciv Cool Member

Dec 24, 2004
    If you hook it up to the sat, subbed or not, it will get the guide data