1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yikes, this is gonna be a hard sell to the missus

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by IDRick, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IDRick

IDRick Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    Hello folks,

I am investigating a possible switch to DirectTV from cable. Yikes, it's gonna be a difficult pitch to my wife. I used the Direct TV system configurator to calculate monthly cost. To match our current viewing channels and cable hardware, I need to following:

2 directtv HD DVRS $498 upfront cost
    1 SD receiver $0 upfront

Monthly costs
    premier programming w/o locals $96.99
    HD access 9.99
    DVR service fee 5.99
    2x lease fees 9.98
    --------
    Total $125.95

We presently pay $87/month which includes all our programming and rental fees for two HD DVR's. To be fair, this is not a direct apples to apples comparison. We do not receive 200 channels from our Cableco but the 200 channel package is needed to receive all of our current favorites. D* has more HD programming than our local cableco so we would pay more but get more HD stations. D* also provides more RSN than our cable co. Presently, we only receive FS Central. I really want FS North to watch college hockey.

An important question... The D* system calculator lists the monthly charge for Choice extra with HD access and HD DVR as $69.99. Yet, the calculator describes it as premier programming at $96.99. Which price will I pay, $69.99 or $96.99?

HD locals are not included. We only have two anyways (ABC and NBC, both at 720p). CBS broadcasts SDTV in Digital format. OTA is apparently not very good. Earlier this year, I asked about OTA reception at BB and CC. Both indicated that customers were not very pleased with results from their amplified antennas. What do we do about locals?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Best,

Rick

2. convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    Rick if you are getting your RSNs through Directv (we use D* for shorthand) I would get the HD-DVR package. You look like you choose Premier (all the premeir channels plus the rest). I would choose the HD-DVR package which includes your RSNs and local channels. That package will bring your monthly to $79.98 not $125. So your monthly cost will be pretty close to good old Comcast. I would also call in not do it online because you might be able to get an additional $10 off your bill for 10 months (you have to ask for this deal since it is a deal maker type of promo). You get $10 off for 12 months as the standard promo plus HBO, Cinemax, Starz and Showtime for free for 3 months. Good luck. PM me if you have additional questions.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    My first, last, and only advice: Call 1-800-DIRECTV and see if they can help you. The rates you quote are the "rack" rates and there may be deals and discounts that may help you in the short term.

4. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Premier includes all non-special package programming. You get all the basic channels, all national RSNs (blacked out for baseball, hockey, football and some college football and basketball that is on the sports packages such as EI, etc.) and all movie channels (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, Encore). Is that what you want?

5. ktk0117

ktk0117 Legend

Nov 27, 2006
    I would call them to verify the rates you're seeing. Sometimes that web site gives me trouble.

When I compared TWC to D*, D8 was cheaper, and had more. Make sure to compare what each tier gives you, I think Premiere has all the movies channels included???

I had HD with TWC, and only basic in the rest of the house. With D* I get all channels in my tier (Except HD on 2 tv's, but SD equivalents).

In order to get that with TWC, I would have paid another 6.99 per box (X3). Otherwise if the kids wanted to watch Boomerang or other shows, they had to watch the main TV because without a box, only "basic" cable ran through the lines.

Now they watch whatever they want in any room of the house.

So if D* comes out to be more, consider what you'll get on every TV with & without a box with monthly fees. Then see what you come up with.

Also, I would mention that there are NO out of pocket fees with Dish or comcast for HDDVR's, it might give you leverage to get a deal, worked for me!

6. TaylorJ

TaylorJ AllStar

Nov 3, 2007
    Hi IDRick, just want to explain the two packages.
    The plus hddvr package @ $69.99 includes over 195 channels(hd included of course) plus the dvr service.
    The premier package has over 250 channels. It includes the channels in the Choice Extra package plus HBO/Cinemax/Showtime/Starz/Sports Pack. Then as you have listed, you have to add HD Access and Dvr services.

Of course being a new customer you may be eligible to get programming discounts.

7. TaylorJ

TaylorJ AllStar

Nov 3, 2007
    So call our direct sales dept (8AM-1AM ET Daily, at 1-800-DIRECTV or 1-800-347-3288). This way you can find out all of the deals that you are eligible for

8. IDRick

IDRick Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    Thanks for the assistance! I see where the problem is... I selected that I wanted the Sports Pack because I want the out of region FS stations. When I did this, the website automatically bumped me up to premier rather than add $13 to the choice extra package. That brings my estimated monthly cost to $108.94 which is better but still well above my present cost ($87/mo). If I include the $20 discount for a new subscriber, then they are essentially the same!

BTW, the on-line calculator does show savings for a new subscriber. But knowing my wife, the first thing she will ask "how much will it cost after the first year?". Gotta be able to answer that one as well! :D That's why I started looking for the long term monthly price.....

Hmmm, gotta do some checking here locally to see what people are doing for local stations on D*. The dear bride loves watching the major networks, so we gotta have a good solution here as well.

Thanks again everyone!

Best,

Rick

9. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Rick, where in Idaho are you? OTA a possibility? Go to www.antennaweb.org to see what you could get...

10. flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Aren't lease fees waived on the first receiver? So you should only have 4.99x1 I think.

Also, as mentioned by the other people, if you call D*, they will offer you a substantial discount on the up-front costs.

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    He wants two HD DVRs plus an SD receiver, so two lease fees are correct.

Carl

12. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    What channels do you need? I calculate this:

Plus HD DVR package: $70 (includes the HD fee and the DVR fee)
    Lease fee $10
    Sports Pack: $13

Total: $93

Now, that doesn't include any other premiums.

As has been mentioned, if you call and tell them you're thinking about switching from cable, there's a good chance you can get the several recurring fees reduced and that you can also get your upfront costs down considerably.

13. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
  14. MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    Also, as far as the upfront costs go, I just saw a D* commercial last night that was advertising a free HD DVR upgrade. Definitely call D* for the best deal.

15. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    When you call say you want to dump cable and are deciding between Dish and D*.

What can you do to help me choose D* ?

16. cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    Also, if locals aren't available to you you may qualify to get the major networks in the distant channels feed from NY. You should be able to call D* and they should be able to confirm if you qualify for these or if you have to request a waiver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.