1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yoke Y adapter

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by intrac, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intrac

intrac Legend

Apr 2, 2006
    I'm trying to help a friend change his system. He has legacy LNBs.

Can I use a Yoke Y adapter to act as a mechanical converter from the Dish Pro "D" shape to a rectangular mounting used by other LNBs?

2. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    If you mean use the yoke on another non Dish Network dish, probably not as this would put the LNB's out of the focal point of the dish.

3. intrac

intrac Legend

Apr 2, 2006
    I think the rectangular part can be located further down the arm, so the only thing that may affect the focus is that the LNB will be slightly offset to the left or right, but isn't how the Dish 500 works.

4. Sep 1, 2007 #4 of 11
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    NO the "Y" adapter is for dish 500 only it is not an adapter. Shop Ebay there are plenty of "D" tube LNBs available both Dish Pro and Legacy.

5. Sep 1, 2007 #5 of 11
    intrac

intrac Legend

Apr 2, 2006
    We already have DP LNBs which are "D" shaped. The dish has a rectangular end which wont accept the "D" shaped DP LNBs.

I couldn't find any "D" to rectangular adapters other than the Y Yoke.

6. Sep 1, 2007 #6 of 11
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Try getting a DISH or Express Vue dish instead of a Directv dish. Or maybe you can find a Kaultronics Directv dish they made dishes for both DISH and Directv and used a "D" tube.

What are you actually trying to do you say your friend has Legacy LNBs. Then you post that you have Dish Pro LNBs. DISH or EXPRESS VUE receivers are backwards compatible with D* "Legacy LNBs".

7. Sep 1, 2007 #7 of 11
    intrac

intrac Legend

Apr 2, 2006
    Thanks for the reply.

He has legacy LNBs and he wants to change them for DP LNBs. The house is being renovated, and the wiring will now be considerably longer than before.

He purchased a DPP34 to go with the DP LNBs but has older dishes (rectangular) mounts. The DP LNBs can run much further than legacy LNBs according to Dish.

I found that 18inch.com has the adapters but is out of stock. It's called a Dish 500 I Adaptor.

8. Sep 1, 2007 #8 of 11
    redbird

redbird AllStar

May 8, 2005
    All Dish and BEV LNBs are D-tube including legacy, Direct and all others are rectangular tube. The I adapter will not work (unless the dish is an actual Dish500) as it will position the LNB too far from the dish unless you shorten the arm. There are NO rectangular to D tube adapters.

Also his switch is a DP34, not a DPP34. DPP LNBs and switches support legacy receivers and feeding dual tuner DPP receivers with a single cable, DP switches and LNBs do not. And, DPP LNBs should not be used with a DP or DPP switch, only DP LNBs.

9. Sep 1, 2007 #9 of 11
    intrac

intrac Legend

Apr 2, 2006
    You'll see the aadpter in google. Look up Dish 500 I adapter.

It allows you to use a DP LNB on a rectangular dish, not just a 500 dish.

10. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    You are the one that dosen't understand, the dish is calculated to have a point where all of the signal is focused and concentrated to give maximum signal. The I adapter is calculated to do that for the focal point of a dish 500 dish when used to aim at a single satellite. You can't stick it on an 18" dish and get the maximum signal. Yes you can do an approximation and get a picture probably with less signal than the Legacy LNBs will get with longer cable length.

Strong suggestion is connect the existing dishes up with the Legacy LNB and see how well you do. Legacy has worked far better than DP. If you read some of the posts on this site and satelliteguys.us you will find DISH is forcing installers to go back to using Legacy LNBs because of heat problems on DP. If it ain't broke don't fixit, especially when you don't know what you are doing. 22 years of satellite experience.

11. jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Hadn't heard the Legacy conversion. Are they recommending changing DP twins with Legacy twins on TC's? You really don't have many replacement issues with Legacy LNB's short of them being 6-10 years old. But that would stink with new installations. :icon_cool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.