1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

You Are Kidding....Right?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by golfnut-n-nh, Jul 16, 2012.

1. golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh Legend

Mar 26, 2007
    I had the opportunity to call customer service Saturday evening due to my constant reauthorization of my HR20-700. I was not able to see the MLB EI (I subscribe) channels in the 700 series. I could view the games on the RSN's (I have Sports Pack).

The CSR stated this to me regarding MLB blackout rules as to the reason I could not watch the games: :confused:

1. MLB has the same blackout rules as the NFL. Really! And this is the best one, wait for it....

2. If a MLB game is not SOLD OUT by the beginning of the first inning then the game is blackout. :eek2:

I wish I could say I was making this up, but I'm not.

2. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Not every CSR is a first round pick. But at least they make mistakes that give us an excuse to come here and post threads where we can vent and act superior.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Hope you got your viewing resolved in spite of your CSR. But I'd be more concerned about your HR20-700 requiring "constant reauthorization." I suggest you call back and talk with their Technical reps and see if that can be fixed.

4. snappjay

snappjay Legend

Jul 16, 2010
    Wow... I can think of about 15 ball clubs off the top of my head that would never air a single game! :lol:

EDIT: Okay, more then 15..
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homePct

5. golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh Legend

Mar 26, 2007
    Call again on Sunday and a technical rep was very helpful. I have a service call scheduled for Saturday.

6. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I think there's been a mistake. Did you by chance call 1-800-333-3474 by mistake? :D

7. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    So the technician is going to show up and turn on a baseball game? Something doesn't add up.

8. golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh Legend

Mar 26, 2007
    Service call for realignment. First rep tried to tell me it was a blackout issue.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The odds on getting a "technician" are low. An installer will show up with a replacement HR and activate it and see if that solves the problem.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Having problems with other channels?

Rich

11. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Any out-of-market Saturday game that starts within three hours before or after the start of a game broadcasting on FOX WILL NOT be available in MLB EXTRA INNINGS.

12. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    I can tell you that it's not an alignment issue either that caused this.

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You're probably right. So the OP needs to watch everything he has on his DVR and maybe write down all the series links he has on that unit.

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You're pointing out an issue with DirecTV. The OP tells the CSR the symptoms, and the first one says it a black out issue. Second CSR says it an alignment issue and schedules a tech to do an alignment. I just hope the installer that shows up can properly diagnose the problem and fix it.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Lots of luck with that. At least here in NJ. I used to know two guys who were worthy of the title of Tech, one left and I usually get the other one. No installer is gonna solve that problem, it's probably the HR itself. Truck roll will probably get him a 24, so that's a good thing.

Rich

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    And that is what happened to me several weeks ago. I had an HR21 that I was sure the drive was going bad. I called it in and gave the symptoms to technical support. He said it was a circuit card and they would send a tech to replace the card. Although I've never heard of the techs doing card replacements, I didn't say a word: I wanted a truck to roll because I knew I had a better chance of getting new equipment.

Which is what happened.

Techs arrived, I showed them the problem. "your drive is going so we have to replace the unit."

Unfortunately, all they had were brand-new unopened 24's.

17. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    I never speculate as to what was said or not said. How many times do people on this forum state they lie to get what they want because they don't want to trouble shoot. Did the agent ask enough questions to really get the information or did they just roll over and offer a SC because they didn't want to deal with it.

Given we only know that he couldn't watch a game in the 700s but could on his RSN's that doesn't imply a hardware issue.

There is a lot of information that is not present which would be required to see what the actual problem is.

We don't know if this is even still going on, what game/s were impacted.

18. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I understand we don't know all the details, but I usually trust what someone tells me until they prove they can't be trusted.

But a question: If a customer calls DirecTV with an issue with their equipment, don't the CSRs have a script/flow chart of what to ask? If the OP called and told two different CSRs the same symptoms (an assumption that the same symptoms were given), shouldn't he be asked the same questions and shouldn't the end result be the same?

19. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    In theory yes, however the first agent said it was a blackout issue. The OP posted nothing to disprove that, other than he said the agent said the blackouts are the same as NFL and have to be sold out, but it still doesn't prove it wasn't. The second agent believed the issue to be a technical problem. Considering the OP specifcally mentioned dish alignment that seems odd as it wouldn't make any sense even to someone who didn't want to trouble shoot.

Once a problem is identified there are tools to help them resolve it. However the largest reason for communication issues are people assuming they know what to say to get a desired result or an agent assuming they've dealt with this situation so many times they know what it is without asking enough information.