1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You Can Be A Neilsen Statistic

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Rob77, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Rob77

Rob77 Godfather

Sep 24, 2007
  2. fornold

fornold Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    Neilson tried to get my family to sign up to be monitored about 5 years ago. The problem was they wanted to come in my house, open up all my electronics to insert some monitoring equipment in each, voiding all my warranties. They claimed they would cover everything if it was damaged. I said no thanks, I don't want your tech's touching my stuff.

This approach using the return path at least doesn't alter your equipment.

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'd like to opt in because many great shows get canned for poor ratings; maybe this might help give better results.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I know someone that did this. They had an older TV go out, Neilsen paid for half of a new one. They went with a large HD, the old one was an SD tube, probably why they'd only pay half, it was a big upgrade and the old TV likely just went out on its own.

5. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    The Nielsen samples are large enough that any one Nielsen family can't have a material effect on the ratings. I was once a Nielsen family and had the Nielsen monitoring equipment installed, my favorites still got cancelled. :)

6. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I get what you're saying; it's similar to the why vote mentality. I know I can't make a difference, but with 19 million possible homes we could make a difference.

7. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    < I am a Nielsen statistic. :)

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I've been one for over 72 years :lol:

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You probably also need to have the demographic that network is looking for, like the 18-49 year olds.

10. NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan Legend

Apr 23, 2010
    Ozzie and Harriett want to know what I'm watching?

11. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    how can they open up a cable or sat box that you don't even own on your own?

12. fornold

fornold Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    Exactly why I said no way. They didn't seem to care though.

13. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I had been getting calls for the last couple of weeks, every time I'd pick up the phone there was never anyone there. I am sure they are using the call 10 people at once and talk to the first that answers then hang up on the rest technique, but it was a bit frustrating. I never did get to talk to anyone but they did send me a big envelope that said Thank You on the front. I probably would have done they survey but I wasn't happy with how they just kept calling.

14. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    They just want to open your box to put camera and microphone in to spy on you and the look on your face when certain commercials popup,and also see what pops up when watching other stuff.

When i was a kid my mother always made me do the Neilson and made me write in my diary but after i got older i wised up after she told me that she knew every thing in did.

15. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    It's too bad that people can't get the spelling right. :lol:

16. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    so what if F* the cable box and you go to jail over it? unlike but they can mess it in a that can make PPV / HBO free. May of happened more with the older cable boxes.

Will they pay any cable co fees / fines from them messing with the cable box?

17. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    It's nobody's &^$%^& business what I watch on TV!!

I "opted out" of DirecTV's collection of data regarding what I watch long ago and my monthly bill says "block data collection" but who could tell if they really ignored the info when the boxes phoned in?

Now that I am cell phone exclusive (no home phone), I KNOW they have no idea what shows I watch unless the satellite dish can transmit back to them (which, of course, it can't).

18. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    Is your receiver connected to the internet?

19. Darcaine

Darcaine Legend

Aug 31, 2009
    Mines not, and I really have no reason for it to be.

I'm with him, I've no interest in letting D* collect data on me. My privacy is already violated plenty without knowingly inviting in more.

20. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Nope. I use a wireless "air card" for broadband internet so no "on demand" programming for me from DirecTV.