1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You got the right time?

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by JimO, Feb 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimO

JimO Cool Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Seems like allot of my recordings are off a minute or so. The start of the show is past at the beginning of the playback and then I will lose the final scene. :confused:

Anyone else having this problem?

Is there anyway to adjust the internal clock on the 518 - 510?

Thanks
    -Jim

2. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    The time/clock is correct, the problem is most programers/networks do not run their shows exactly on schedule, they tend to start some early and run some late. All you can do is manually edit your timers and add time where needed.

3. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    As Kevin said, blame the networks. Also, many of the local stations start their local programs (mainly news) early to get a "head start" on the other stations. One local station in my market starts their news at :57 past the hour instead on on the hour.

And don't even get me started on the crap that NBC is doing with their "extra long" programs or starting their programs at "non-standard" times.

4. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I noticed NBC having shows starting at 8:00, 8:40, 9:20 which spreads each show out 10 minutes longer having about twice the commercial time and messing up DVR receivers. I wonder how many more channels are going to start doing this to earn more money selling commercial time. It not only earns them more money but it also allows them to have fewer shows on, filling the gap even more, and having fewer actors to pay and less shows to air. This in addition to ad placement within the shows could really allow them to counteract the DVR's causing commercial skipping, if not causing people to stop skipping commercials, but to help make up for lost ad revenues.

5. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    I try to "pad" any thing I really want to watch by a couple of minutes before and after... and if its friends-15 after just in case.

6. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    On my 721 I create a manual timer for the Thursday night line up from 7:00 to 9:00 pm central time and it gives me each show in the line up listed with individual start times and info for each show . I can watch in any order and it cuts down on the amount of timers and I never miss the ending when they super size the shows.

7. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I also always set manual timers but even doing that my 721 missed the end of Phoebe's wedding (not likely a huge loss), so I think the times NBC sets on its network lineup are still slightly off from the times they submit to Tribune. So, I think padding is still in order during supersizing. There is a lot of slop in local stations' timing due to automation, but unless the local station is delaying the broadcast (common only in the Mountain time zone) blame for network shows being off time can only be laid at the feet of the network itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.