1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

You qualify for an upgrade to the latest DIRECTV® equipment.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by wilbur_the_goose, Nov 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Nov 7, 2013 #1 of 12
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I see that I now have a "You qualify for an upgrade to the latest DIRECTV® equipment." showing on my D* account. Goes on to say, "Your DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN includes an equipment upgrade every 2 years. Click Upgrade/Add Receiver above".

However, I searched for "Upgrade/Add", and there's nothing found. Is the page bad, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

2. Nov 7, 2013 #2 of 12
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Call DirecTV and tell them you want to take advantage of the free upgrade as listed on your account.

3. Nov 7, 2013 #3 of 12
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Keep in mind, this is upgrading a box to a higher class, like to a Genie if you don't have one, receiver to DVR, SD to HD etc.

4. gator1234

gator1234 AllStar

Jul 21, 2007
    Are you able to request a Genie? I am eligible in Dec and currently have an HR22, HR23 and HR24. I would like to get a Genie and return the older HR22. Will they do this?

5. midas69

midas69 AllStar

Jan 30, 2008
    They did for me. The only fight I had was that they wanted to replace my other DVRs with the mini-clients. And that's where you might have an issue. With 2 DVRs and a Genie you'll have 9 tuners on your account. The standard SWM only supports 8 tuners. Fortunately my installer happened to have an SWM16 on the truck. But he told me that he normally doesn't carry them.

6. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Did they actually attempt to insist that you get clients? When I upgraded (not using the protection plan), the CSR assumed that I wanted to go to clients along with the Genie. But when I said "No. I don't want clients, I want to keep two of my DVR's, her answer was "Oh. OK. That will work."

7. midas69

midas69 AllStar

Jan 30, 2008
    It was actually a little complicated. I had 2 THR22s and 1 HR24. I never actually had the whole Whole Home networking setup. So I was using Ethernet and the Ethernet port on the HR24 was FUBAR. So I wanted 1 THR22 replaced with the Genie and the HR24 replaced under the protection plan, keeping the final THR22. But when the installer came out his paperwork showed the HR24 being replaced by a mini-client.

Fortunately the HR24 worked fine with the DECA connection, but I still had to fight to keep the HR24. I have no doubt that it would have been a big fight if he didn't have the SWM16 on the truck.

8. Daddyo

Daddyo Cool Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Does this automatically push your contract out another 2 years? I've got an old HR21 and a HR22 that I wouldn't mind swapping with a Genie and a remote.

9. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes, getting a new Genie will get you a new 2 contract

10. RichManitoba

RichManitoba New Member

Sep 24, 2012
    WI
    What is a SWiM16? I wonder if that's my problem.

I had a Genie installed over 2 weeks ago and installers have been back 4 times: nobody can get anything to work consistently. They replaced 2 clients, 1 genie, then took out the 2 clients and gave me 2 H24's (I originally had H25's). I'm supposed to have 5 TV's hooked up, but only 2 are working. DTV coming back Saturday. (What's with this 7 days apart?) Almost 3 weeks and I'm not happy. Ready to unhook everything, stack the stuff up by my front door and have them pick it up.

11. midas69

midas69 AllStar

Jan 30, 2008
    It's got to do with how many tuners you can have hooked at once. The SWM stands for Single Wire Multi-Switch. In the old days each tuner required a wire. The SWM means you now only need one wire. But the standard SWM can only handle 8 tuners. To go beyond 8 you need to jump to the SWM16 which can handle 16 tuners. FWIW, I have seen an SWM13 mentioned someone on this forum but I don't really know anything about it.

12. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    So, if my count is right (one Genie = 5 tuners, two HD receivers = 2 tuners, 2 clients = 0 tuners, for a total of 7 tuners), then you don't need a SWM-16. The standard SWM LNB can handle up to 8 tuners. You only need a SWM-16 when you exceed that limitation.