1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Your driving force..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by HinterXGames, Feb 17, 2013.

What is your driving force in choosing a provider

1. Pricing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Technology

13.6%
  3. Programming Options

29.4%
  4. Customer Service level

57.0%
  1. HinterXGames

HinterXGames Godfather

Dec 20, 2012
    Just curious from a statistical point. What is the main driver when choosing your television provider? This isn't aimed towards any specific provider. Also, Promotional Discounts/Offers falls under pricing, not customer service. I'd adjust the poll, but, erm, don't know how after i've already done it.

2. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Programming for me.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I voted technology. Actually I watch surprisingly little television. There is absolutely no way I can justify what I spend based on what I watch. I just love the technology and working/playing with it. To be honest, an entirely OTA solution would meet my viewing needs. But I must have a DVR and enjoy what DirecTV offers in that regard.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Programming is my main choice. Technology is a close second.

5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Can't vote. I make a "value" selection based on the items you mentioned. You are asking for a sole pick and I don't have one of those four that overshadows the others.

6. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    Programming for me. The exact reason I left Charter. The amount of options I have now through DirecTV doesn't even come close in comparison.

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Every provider carries the channels I mainly watch so that's never really a consideration.

I'd say pricing and technology are equal considerations.

Didn't vote.

8. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    All of the above.

If the price is not quite right with the programming options available. I could and may choose otherwise.

9. TANK

TANK Icon

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    It's really a combination of programming choices,price and equipment.

A provider must have the channels I want in HD,but the price must be reasonable and the correct equipment ( HD DVR capable of at least 100 hrs of hd recording) .

10. espnjason

espnjason Armchair Referee

Sep 30, 2008
    I've chosen DirecTV back in '05 just for NFL Sunday Ticket. In addition to that, I've stayed because of the other out-of-market packages, the Sports Pack, and international football (soccer). The En EspaƱol add-on pack has helped me pick up the Spanish Language as well.

But all that aside, between the HD picture quality; the HD DVR; and the fact that I could live almost anywhere without necessity to change providers; DirecTV's technology is equally impressive. However, I'm not one to choose restaurants and hotels based on decor and silverware.

11. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Programming is what made me switch in '97 (Speedvision was launched and my cable co. had no plans on adding it) then the technology made me stay. What is interesting is that that channel is what might finally push me to cord cutting. Like Carl I cannot justify what I pay for what I actually watch but there is no other source for motorsports. If the upcoming conversion of Speed to Fox Sports 1 means the end of all non-Nascar motorsports coverage I will probably leave. I must have a DVR but Tivo is only $14.99 /month and I can stream or buy series sets of any non-OTA programming I watch.

12. Sea bass

Sea bass Icon

Jun 9, 2005
    Programming was my driver, technology was a close 2nd to (keep in mind in 94 DSS was high tech to me) All of the above has kept me a loyal customer!

13. gpg

gpg DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    Programming is a clear number one to me. Technology and Pricing are in a photo finish for number two.

14. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather DBSTalk Club

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I voted programming but I don't know that technology isn't as important. Unless the programming was head and shoulders above DIRECTV I don't think I'd leave as I really like their Genie and whole home system along with TV to go.

I went to Directv in the late 90's because my local cable system (centre video that became att and then comcast) just didn't offer much. When they dropped COURTV the wife finally said OK.

15. MadMac

MadMac Legend

Feb 18, 2008
    For me, it's flexibility. I have seven boxes, as there are seven locations where TV is viewed in my home. Nobody else will provide that many boxes.

16. inhd40

inhd40 Mentor

Jan 26, 2013
    All are important to me but if I'm not getting the programming I want to watch then all else is moot.

1 Programming
    2 Price
    3 Technology
    4 Customer Service

17. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    NFL Sunday Ticket
    NFL Sunday Ticket
    Price/technology/customer service

If the playing field is level as to programming, then I'd look at the combination of other factors.

From time to time, mostly in my role here as a moderator/reporter/communicator and interested party, I compare pricing and features for what I want, assuming everyone had NFL Sunday Ticket.

Comcast wasn't even close in pricing and technology as I want DVRs everywhere. And I have a huge library of recordings I don't want to give up. (Then there is customer (lack of) service with them too...) :)

So I'm pretty sure I'd stay with DIRECTV, regardless.

Peace,
    Tom

18. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    Good thread. Tough topic.

It's easy to rule out price, but tough between programming and technology.

I'd say its now fairly even between FiOS and DirecTV with programming, but I consider DirecTV to clearly lead in technology, for now.

Since DirecTV also has NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings, it's an easy choice.

And add DBSTalk, and it's a slam dunk.

This can change over time, but I've yet to experience any time where I've considered another provider to beat DirecTV, and I'm continually evaluating. I have both DirecTV and FiOS TV (as a backup and to play), but DirecTV is the primary for the 7 HD TV's.

The keys from a technology perspective are quad tuner (or better) DVR capability, multi-room viewing with independent tuner enabled MRV clients, offline (sync and go) viewing, and mobile access for scheduling/management. DirecTV is clearly the leader but interested in testing the future FiOS VMS1100.

Certainly fun to play and compare.

19. jimmy_27320

jimmy_27320 AllStar

Aug 17, 2007
    Technology and quality of service is why I love Directv.

20. ub1934

ub1934 Icon

Dec 30, 2005
    UpState NY
    Technology , would have picked programming if i had more of a all a cart choice