1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Your iPhone Could Carry More Germs Than a Public Toilet

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by fluffybear, Oct 15, 2010.

Tags:
  1. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Full Article: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/10/15/iphone-carry-germs-public-toilet/?test=latestnews

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I wonder how some people are using their phones!

I wipe mine off pretty regularly, not obsessively, but in part because I like getting the fingerprints off of it.

3. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Sigh. You know, we, as humans, used to drink from rivers that would, today, qualify as toxic waste. The challenges our body faces on a microbiological front today (with a couple of notable exceptions) are NOTHING compared to what it's geared for.

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Public loos, hotel rooms and shopping cart handles are one thing, but I'm the only one who touches or breaths on my cell. Why should I worry? :shrug:

5. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...

[​IMG]

6. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Agreed. By over sanitizing everything, and over vaccinating ourselves, super germs are being created, plus we are losing our ability to fight off even the basic nasties we used to be able to.
    We are sanitizing ourselves to death, well a lot of people are..
    Just wiping off the cell phone screen won't kill the little beasties, but that is the least of my worries, and I'm not going to spray my phone with Lysol. :nono2:

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Exactly... I wipe off all that I can see every now and again... and I don't use my phone to wipe up spills nor drop it in the floor or toilet!

Meanwhile, practicing basic hygiene myself I'm about as "clean" as I can be without going through a sterilization process.

If you just trim your nails, wash your hands when you do really nasty things and clean the dirt off them... that's really all you need.

Even if you use anti-bacterial stuff... within seconds there is a new wave of germs and microscopic stuff back on you anyway!

The key isn't to OCD overkill scrub things until you are scrubbing skin and surface material away... but to try not to live in a cesspool and develop some general good habits.

8. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I assume everyone knows that the Apple tech folks clean their iPhones, iPads, etc. screens with iKlear products which are also available slightly cheaper from Amazon.

No they're not anti-bacterial or anti-viral, and you don't clean the case with them, at least I don't on my iPad. But reducing the crud on your screen can't hurt.

9. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    I actually use hand sanitizer to clean my Zagg Invisibleshield, the Alcohol cleans up the oils and dirt quite well. But my phone is not a public device :D

10. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Touch Screen Devices Harbor Germs

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetrev...arbor-germs/18938?alertspromo=&tag=nl.rSINGLE