1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Your receiver isn't authorized to record this program

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Mark Walters, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Mark Walters

Mark Walters Legend

Sep 21, 2009
    Any thoughts or ideas? This is new to me. An authorized channel using an HR23 box & the subject is the message I received.. anybody seen this before and/or know why?

2. dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt Under Suspicion

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    What channel? Can you currently tune to it and watch it? Have you tried a RBR and re-attempted to schedule the recording?

3. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Is this happening on anything you try and record, or just one thing? If it's one thing, it would be really helpful if you told us what you're trying to record.

4. ThePrisoner

ThePrisoner Legend

Jul 11, 2009
    I received that message 2 weeks ago when I added HBO to my programming. I recorded The Pacific and I got the not authorized message. It still recorded fine for me though. I'm using an HR21-700.

5. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf Legend

Jun 13, 2006
    Maybe you have Parental Controls enabled and you tried to record something on Spice channel or Playboy???

6. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    No parental controls here, but I got the message last week when I wanted to record an OU women's basketball team in the NCAA tourney. The game was part of the ESPN Full Court package, so that partially explains it. However, DirecTV did not black out the Full Court games when one of the teams was from a college located in the veiwer's area (Oklahoma, in my case).

Anyway, the game recorded fine, but I did get the message beforehand.

7. loveshockey

loveshockey Godfather

Feb 24, 2008
    Lancaster, NY
    This just happened to me on Travel Channel 277. Brought HR21-700 receiver out of standby by turning it on. Tried to record Mysteries at the Museum started at 12:00midnight EST, was already 45 minutes in with buffer. Got message when pushing record button on remote. Rewound to program previous(think it was Mysteries at the Museum as well) and got same message.

8. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Was it a parttime channel? Those share allocations with PPV and other channels and sometimes the messages mess up or it was being used by a different channel when you set it up.

9. HDbruce

HDbruce Mentor

Jun 30, 2007
    I had this problem when installing and activating an HR24 to replace and HR21 that died. The channel I tried to record was HBO, which does insist on HDCP copy protection through HDMI for recordings. The friendly CSR reactived DVR service twice, but I still got the message. Finally told her I'd work on it myself.

I have three displays connected to the HR24 through an HDMI switch. Switched to a different TV in a different room and recordings worked fine. Switched back to the original TV, recycled the audio receiver through which the HDMI signal passes and then recording was possible there too. I concluded that somehow during the initial setup HDMI handshaking had gone awry. No problems at all since.

You might try unplugging/powering off all the equipment connected to your DVR and starting from scratch.

10. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Reauthorizing online via Directv My Account under "My Equipment" should get those channels back, also try menu reset on your receiver on the settings menu.

11. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Oops didn't realize this thread was three years old. But it will help others with the same problem.

12. Phaka2

Phaka2 New Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Helped me today. Thanks.