1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your wedding day is so special...when you get arrested for theft

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Carl Spock, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Today in my local paper, the La Crosse Tribune:

Onalaska bride arrested after reception

[​IMG]

Authorities arrested an Onalaska bride after her wedding reception on Sunday for stealing rings from the venue, according to police reports.

Connie Sykes, 58, is on surveillance video at River Jack’s Restaurant and Lounge, 1835 Rose St., stealing a small case displaying rings from a local jeweler that was set up near the hostess station. An employee found the bride’s bra insert near where the case had been.

Sykes denied stealing the case when police contacted her at home about 8:20 p.m. Sunday, even as her husband found the item while looking through their wedding gifts, according to reports.

Police recovered 76 rings worth about $1,000.

Sykes faces a charge of theft when she appears in La Crosse County Circuit Court.

2. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Really? Risking all that over rings that are worth an average of less than $15 each?

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I wonder if the husband is pondering a annulment?

4. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Wisconsin has CCap, a data base with all civil and criminal actions against individuals available on line. After this article, I checked up on her on CCap. She had a retail theft charge, later dismissed without prosecution, in 2012.

If I was going to marry someone in Wisconsin, I'd certainly look them up in CCap first.

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Several thoughts...

- She didn't steal the rings, she just "borrowed" them. Besides, she left her bra
    . . insert (falsie?) as security, didn't she?.

- 76 rings worth only a grand? C'mon, did they come out of some dude's trunk?

- Holding the wedding at River Jack’s Restaurant & Lounge was a nice touch.

- Is there a honeymoon suite at the local pokey? (pokey -- get it!?)