1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Youtube: Plus or Minus? Your opinion!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Stuart Sweet, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Youtube videos have been available on DIRECTV DVRs for some time now. So, what do you think? Do you watch Youtube Videos on your DVR? Is it easy and fun?

2. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Once, maybe twice.
    It's easier on the Samsung TV, but mostly I would use a PC or my Verizon Rezound which has an HD display.

3. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I like it! I use it a fair amount of time for those videos that are good enough to view on my big screen.

4. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    It's a nice to have feature and have used it a few times.

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I like having the feature, and have used it a few times.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I use it on occasion but higher quality would be nice.

7. John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    I have used it a few times and like it but agree that if Youtube videos are HD then we should be able to play them in HD. And have the ability to fast forward, pause, etc..

8. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    the youtube feature is used on a daily basis by me or someone in my household. i hope directv keeps this on the dvrs... the kids love it!

9. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I use it on occasion. It's nicer viewing on a large screen. But as dpeters11 said, higher quality would be nice.

10. jazzyjez

jazzyjez Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    Yes I do watch them, not very often perhaps, but when I do, those sessions can be great fun, and sometimes last an hour or more. Although I have a PC connected to one of my TVs (which obviously I could also use for YouTube), my main system doesn't. Why, because it's intended for entertainment and I spend enough time working on PCs (not surfing) that I want to mentally separate the two.
    The HR/DVR YouTube interface works well enough too... though could be improved by having the ability to paste back into the search textbox, and also be able to move within it and have insert/overtype options. Having said that, part of the fun is to select the "More From..." and "Search Related...". One thing just leads to another and I've come across some real gems doing this - it's own up time now: most of my searches are music related - lots of prog stuff from the 70s, 80s, and these wouldn't have been hi-def anyway, so YouTube quality is sufficient (and audio is usually good). I've also found some classic comedy clips - lots of old brit stuff like Pete and Dud - that often aren't readily available elsewhere. Yes I know you could do all this via YouTube on the PC, but I find this 'browsing' style to be just that much more comfortable and fun this way.

11. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    We have used it several times but to be perfectly honest I keep forgetting it exists. When someone says they want to watch a youtube video, I head toward the laptop rather then picking up the remote.

12. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    I used it initially to try, but too many shortcomings. Much easier to use the Tv, BD-player, or laptop.

13. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    I like it and use it some. I will have no interest in pandora though. I don't listen on my iPad or iPhone so no reason I'd listen on my tv.

14. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    I use it but get frustrated without the ability to change the resolution. Both my HR2x and my PS3 are handcuffed to low res. I hear Sony is working on changing the ability to increase the resolution.

15. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Ditto.

16. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Use it. Like it.

17. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Past the initial trial/testing, I don't use it on TV sets. I always have a laptop or iPad close by so use them for Youtube video.

If one day it's easy to pull down HD content I'd change for some things.

18. Drew2k

Drew2k DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 16, 2006
    I like having a way to get to YouTube on the big screen, but having to start in a Search Screen is not too user-friendly.

I'd prefer to have a new screen with icons for Most Viewed, Top Rated, Top Favorites, with "Search" added, modeled after the EXTRAS menu. This would make it more accessible to those who see the Search screen (like many in my extended family) who think they have to search for something rather than just arrowing right (past B, C, D, E and F) to get to the options so they could browse.

19. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Very rarely used.

20. kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    I have used it a few times but I use my LG tv more often because it is easier to use.