1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YouTube says it's in talks to stream NHL, NBA games, NHL says it isn't

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Chris Blount, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    From Engadget:

Currently, sports is one of the main things that's tough to stay connected to if you choose not to subscribe to traditional linear pay-TV service like cable or satellite, so it's no surprise there was much ado over Gautam Anand, Google Director of Content Partnerships for Asia Pacific, saying the company is negotiating to broadcast NHL and NBA games on YouTube.

More here: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/23/youtube-says-its-in-talks-to-stream-nhl-nba-games-nhl-says-it/

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    This would be cool. Especially if they don't black out my local team which is on cable only.

3. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Personally, I think they're making way too much money off of TV revenues and Subscriptions to be able to offer the full complement of games free on YouTube... and if it's a subscription based product, it might take a lot longer to take off, unless they let you buy it by the game.

4. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I just went to the article linked. It says it's for Asia only. Oh well, there goes that.

5. inkahauts1367066121

inkahauts1367066121 New Member

Feb 16, 2011
    We will get hd streaming of sports here as soon as they figure out how to charge enough for it to pay the operators of the OTA and cable broadcasters losses to it, and make money on it at the same time...