1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zenith HD-SAT520 blown - DirecTV replacement?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dsm, Jul 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsm

dsm Godfather

Jul 11, 2004
    We had a lightening strike near my house and the sat input on my Zenith HD-SAT520 was blown. It's out of warranty. So I can either ship it on my own to Zenith or for $150 and a one-year commit DirecTV will give me a replacement. DirecTV can't tell me what model I'll get but it will be new and they confirmed it will have an option to always upconvert to 1080i which I want for my TV. I opted for the DirecTV replacement, but they said if I wasn't satisified with the receiver I could return it before I activate. What do you think?

The Zenith was $650 about 18 months ago.

-steve

2. dsm

dsm Godfather

Jul 11, 2004
    Oh, yeah, if you bought HD direct from DirecTV recently could you please respond with what make/model you received?

thanks again,

steve

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Last December I ordered the HD receiver from DirecTV and received the Hughes HTL-HD, I could have gotten the Samsung 160. I think they are still shipping the HTL or the newer Samsung 360. The HTL-HD is working very well. These are non TiVo STBs.

4. SkyOnion

SkyOnion New Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Currently using the TS-360 Samsungs in all of the offices in my market area, I'd just about bet you'll get the Sammy.

5. dsm

dsm Godfather

Jul 11, 2004
    I had this marathon phone call to discuss the return and what I'd get. I was very suspicious they would send me a refurbed older unit and I even asked to speak to the woman's supervisor. He told me since it was out of warranty they were just giving me a deal on buying a new one really but I would have to recommit for 12 months. So I went for it.

Two days later (yes just two days they sent it fedex express), I got the box and opened it. Ugh. Battered refurb which really wasn't even packed in the box just bouncing around. TS-160 samsung. I called them back and just insisted they take it back. I didn't want to mess around with DirecTV anymore. I'm sure it will take a while, but I'm going to send the unit back to zenith. Thanks for the help.

To top it off in all the confusion the shmuck I was talked with the second time disabled my working DirecTIVO while I was on vacation. Anyone know if they are going to rebroadcast the first "Stargate: Atlantis" episode? Sigh.

-steve

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.