1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Zinwell WB68 with only two input cables

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by oscaro, Oct 22, 2008.

1. oscaro

oscaro New Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Newbie here, so I apologize if this has been asked and answered before. My installer came and installed a Swimline 5lnb dish, but only ran two lines to my one hr20 unit. There is currently no switch as the lines are directly from my dish. I recently purchasec a Zinwell WB68 because I have two R15's that I want to connect.

My question is, can I only run the two input lines into the 6x8 and get the six outputs I need for all of my receivers (two to hr20 and four total to the r15's)? I do not have easy access to roof, so I would like to just use the two cables that are currently inside.

Thanks

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

You need to run all four lines from the dish to the multi-switch.

3. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Welcome!

Nope, you need all 4 from the dish to the WB68 so that you can see all sats/receive all programming (specifically HD programming).

4. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    The tech should have run all 4 lines down. You could call the local HSP and tell them you feel the installation isn't done to D* spec.

5. oscaro

oscaro New Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Can I split the two lines to feed all four inputs?

6. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Nope. All four lines from the dish must run to the multiswitch.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The coax is actually a 2-way communication link. The receiver tells the dish what it wants, and the dish sends the proper signals back to the receiver. There are four possible groups of signals/replies.

A multiswitch external to the dish must have all four possible sets of signals available on it's inputs in order to be able to pass the requested set on to a receiver. In order for that to happen, the multiswitch must have four coax lines running between the dish and the multiswitch inputs.

Without using SWM technology (which your R15's won't work with), there is no way to go with fewer than four coax lines from the dish to the multiswitch.

Carl

8. oscaro

oscaro New Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Thanks for your help. I called Directv and they are sending out another installer to finish the work the previous installer left behind.

Is there a maximum distance that the WB68 can be from the dish?

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The WB68 is non-powered, which means all power to the dish must come from the receiver(s), through the WB68. Typically, you want to keep the receiver to dish total length under about 150 feet. I have powered a dish through 400 feet of coax, but would never suggest a permanent installation with that length, especially an HD installation with a 5-LNB dish.

If you are getting into longer coax runs, then you might want to look at either a powered multiswitch (WB616 for example), or the use of a Sonora power inserter/phase locker between the wB68 and the dish. Also, for anything over 100 feet, you want to make sure you have solid copper center conductor coax (as opposed to copper clad steel).

Carl