1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zipcode and phone line question

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dak0ta11, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dak0ta11

dak0ta11 Cool Member

Mar 12, 2007
    I am getting Dish setup this week with the VIP-622 multi-room setup + another standalone receiver for the third room. I am going to use my grandmothers zip code so I can receive those local channels instead of my local channels. The rep mentioned that I won't be able to hook up my phone line since the receivers call home for ppv and other info and my phone number would show up instead of my grandmothers which would throw a red flag. Is this true? Do I really need to worry about that?

Thanks in advance.

2. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    You may not be able to receive the local channels from your grandmother's area. Most locals are on spot beam transponders and some spot beams don't cover a wide area.

3. dak0ta11

dak0ta11 Cool Member

Mar 12, 2007
    I'm under 100 miles away, so I'm hoping it won't be an issue. I'll know for sure once it gets installed.

4. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Dish matches up the phone number given, so if you gave your grandmothers phone number as well as her address, then no you should not hook phone line to the receiver. Also, if you have questions or problems, you will have to call from her phone.

5. dak0ta11

dak0ta11 Cool Member

Mar 12, 2007
    I actually gave my rep my cell phone number so I don't think that will be an issue. Also, I think you can give your account number instead of your phone number when calling in.

6. jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Pay the $5/month fee for not having the 622 plugged into an active phone line and it makes no difference. Some people only use their cellphones and don't have landline service. So that's the trade-off they make. The other stand alone rcvr doesn't have to be plugged into the phone line. And 100 miles is a big swath of real estate. The only way you'll know is like you said, hook it up and see if it works. :icon_cool

7. dak0ta11

dak0ta11 Cool Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Cool...thanks for the responses. I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to miss out on any "fantastic Dish experiences" by having my phone line unplugged. :) I'll eat the $5 and call it a day.

8. robert koerner

robert koerner Icon

Aug 20, 2005
    Wonder how you are getting an install some place other than where it is supposed to be installed?

Aren't the FCC regs about "local" channels wonderful?

Bob

9. dvbfan

dvbfan Mentor

Aug 2, 2006
    dak0ta11:
    That is so strange and odd and I'm surprise this didn't throw up a red flag with CSR if you have scheduled to install at your billing address instead of service address (your grandma) place.

Normally, you would schedule to install everything at your local resident, then move later (another call to CSR telling them of your grandma address), but it should not happen at the same time during your install.

Your installer may also get confused when he tests your locals and it ended up elsewhere and may call in on your behalf and try to correct it for you.

10. dak0ta11

dak0ta11 Cool Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Thanks for the tip, but my installer is the one who is helping me with this arrangement. :)

11. skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1 Godfather

Sep 28, 2006
    Another good reason for using your local installer.. He can help you in ways a CSR can never do... :)

12. Buzzdar

Buzzdar Mentor

Sep 18, 2006
    i guess that is one way to beat dish at there own game use a local installer lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.