Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DOD: Are Download Speeds Getting Slower?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:36 PM

Has anyone with a fast internet connection, who has been using DOD during the CE testing noticed recently that download speeds have gotten much slower.

I haven't downloaded anything in about a week. Previously, during the CE testing, any SD show I downloaded came at about 1.5 to 2 times viewing speed. It really was on demand, by the time I got to "list", I could view it and it downloaded faster than I could watch it.

Today, I have tried two different SD shows, and both taken longer to go from Que to list and then, within less than a minute, I catch up with the buffer and it stops while it waits to download more. That did not happen last week.

I hope this isn't due to more people using DOD and a preview of things to come as this really rolls out nationally. I was very pleased with DOD the past few weeks when it truely felt like it was On Demand, not so pleased with it now.

My connection is 10 down, hardwired and I have no issues with my internet speed. The slowdown is definately not on my end.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:33 PM

Has anyone with a fast internet connection, who has been using DOD during the CE testing noticed recently that download speeds have gotten much slower.

I haven't downloaded anything in about a week. Previously, during the CE testing, any SD show I downloaded came at about 1.5 to 2 times viewing speed. It really was on demand, by the time I got to "list", I could view it and it downloaded faster than I could watch it.

Today, I have tried two different SD shows, and both taken longer to go from Que to list and then, within less than a minute, I catch up with the buffer and it stops while it waits to download more. That did not happen last week.

I hope this isn't due to more people using DOD and a preview of things to come as this really rolls out nationally. I was very pleased with DOD the past few weeks when it truely felt like it was On Demand, not so pleased with it now.

My connection is 10 down, hardwired and I have no issues with my internet speed. The slowdown is definately not on my end.

The slowdown could be at any of the hops between you and the DirecTV download service. Remember, the service is in beta so it's likely they may be working on things and not have the system at full capacity. They could be constraining things just to see what happens when a server gets many requests...you never know what fun could be going on during a test.

#3 OFFLINE   Fire407

Fire407

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:44 PM

I watched the first episode of Las Vegas today. I hit play right after putting in the que and I had no problem watching it. The buffer was always ahead and gradually pulling away so I could eventually fast forward through the commercials. The quality seemed pretty decent for standard def video.

#4 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:06 AM

I have done testing since getting DOD when it was first released in CE as well as now since it is rolling out nationally and I haven't seen any slowdown in download speeds as of yet. Maybe it is just lucky timing or something but I try to test at various times of the day.

It seems like D* has the single connection limit capped at 7Mb/Sec which I have been able to achieve since activating DOD on my HR20-700 quite some time ago.

I have a 20/5Mb FIOS Connection and the ability to monitor bandwidth within my network.
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

#5 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:37 AM

The slowdown can be brought on by different things. Depending on the time of day - you may be slowed down by other people surfing the net through your provider - cable broadband has a bottlenecking issue when it gets too much load on it's service, I know my DLS got slow right as everyone got home from work. I could surf all day long and it'd be pretty fast until about 5 pm... then it'd crawl. You only as fast as your slowest piece of equipment so just make sure it's not one of yours that could be causing things to slow up - did you accidentally capture a virus? Is your router going bad? - if DSL, is your phone line in good shape?
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#6 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:08 AM

My assertion that it wasn't on my end was premature.

I did a bunch of speed tests this morning and they were less than stellar, ranging anywhere from 3Mbps to 4.5Mbps - when they should be about 10. It appears to be a router issue. I took the router out of the loop, hooking one of my computers directly to the modem and redid the speed tests - speeds were where they should be - ie around 10Mbps. Rehooked the router and they dropped right back down.

Before I go spend $50 on a new router, has anyone else had experience with a router going bad slowing down, rather than just quitting working altogether.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#7 OFFLINE   michaelyork29

michaelyork29

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:55 PM

Yes...it actually has happened to me twice. But I've had very good luck with Linksys routers...seem to be the best ones out there...
(4) HR20-700
(2) HR20-100
(1) HR21-700
(1) HR10-250
(1) R15-100
(2) D11
(1) Zinwell WB616
(1) Slimline Ka/Ku 5LNB Dish
Manufacturer Codes
Support DBSTalk.com!

#8 OFFLINE   superunlikely

superunlikely

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:03 PM

Yes...it actually has happened to me twice. But I've had very good luck with Linksys routers...seem to be the best ones out there...

Funny I had to replace the factory firmware in my Linksys router because of a specific bug that would cause lag.

Since I switched it to DD-WRT I've had zero problems.

Not recommending against Linksys though. It's good cheap hardware IMO.

#9 OFFLINE   firmie

firmie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:38 PM

my downloads are slow, but I only have a 4 mpbs connection..4 mpbs down and 768k up...looks like downloading overnight for me!

#10 OFFLINE   PennHORN

PennHORN

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:51 PM

Get the Apple Airport Extreme. It is the best router on the market IMO. Works with both PC and Mac and is a snap to set up.

#11 OFFLINE   ddruker

ddruker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:22 PM

I am using a wired router with a built in four port gigabit switch - 100MBS connection on the WAN side to my DSL and four 1000 MBS ports for the LAN side. I happen to have a DLINK box but there are lots on the market.

The point is why not future proof and go with a Gigabit router... It's not that much more expensive than 100 Meg anymore.

I bought some used Linksys 54G wireless routers, installed DD-WRT, and I use those for my wireless network in the house. Much cheaper than buying out of the box wireless access points.

#12 OFFLINE   dervari

dervari

Icon

• Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:46 PM

People bitch about 4mb/s? I'm on an 8mb/s connection and am lucky to get 1.8mb/s downloading from D*. :(

#13 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:27 PM

People bitch about 4mb/s? I'm on an 8mb/s connection and am lucky to get 1.8mb/s downloading from D*. :(

What does your speedtest.net results show?

Edit: nevermind. I see you use comcast as well. There are days I get <500kbps down on my 6Mbps connection.
HR20-100S 2 lines | Sharp Aquos LC-32DA5U HDMI | Onkyo TX-SR 604 (digital coax) | Polk Audio RC85i
HR20-700S 1 line | Sony KP-51WS510 HDMI-DVI | Panasonic SC-HT95 | Polk Audio RC85i | Networked
R15-500 connected to an old Sanyo (1 line)
Vista Home Premium | BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP | Comcast 6Mbps/Motorola SB5100 modem

#14 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:03 AM

I'm seeing some slow downloads. Attached is my traffic graph from this morning. You can see at about 3AM I downloaded a 500M file for work. At about 5am I downloaded the HIM Video from MTV On Demand. Right after that, you see a definate drop in bandwidth usage - this is me trying to download "Rush Hour - Widescreen Format"

It looks to me like the On Demand service and download speeds depends on the provider... Or it could be a software issue with the Queue system.

FYI - If anyone is wondering, I use IPCop (http://www.IPCop.Org) for my firewall on an old Dual PIII 1U Server. That's where I got the traffic graph from.

Attached Thumbnails

• RED-day.png

AT9 w/ Splitters & WB616 / SWM5
Living Room: HR21-700 / HR20-100 & 50" Hitachi 1080P Plasma w/ HD-A30 + Playstation 3 = Purple Nation!
Master Bedroom: HR20-700 & 42" Panasonic Plasma
Both Bedrooms: HR20-100 & 42" Panasonic Plasma.

#15 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:31 AM

Yes, Download speeds are dependent on your provider for anything less<7Mbps. Run a speedtest.net to see your actual download speed, which will vary considerably.

See funhouse's post for the "cap" >7Mbps.
HR20-100S 2 lines | Sharp Aquos LC-32DA5U HDMI | Onkyo TX-SR 604 (digital coax) | Polk Audio RC85i
HR20-700S 1 line | Sony KP-51WS510 HDMI-DVI | Panasonic SC-HT95 | Polk Audio RC85i | Networked
R15-500 connected to an old Sanyo (1 line)
Vista Home Premium | BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP | Comcast 6Mbps/Motorola SB5100 modem

#16 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:45 AM

Although I'm having connection issues right now, last week I tested and got my normal 2.7Mbps down. During the CE portion of the VOD test, I was able to download a 30 minute show in 15-18 minutes. Now it is 22-24 minutes.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   ccr1958

ccr1958

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:57 AM

D* populated my DoD this morn & i DL
a 90 min movie in about 50 mins but would like
to monitor it visually on my laptop running
vista home premium....anyone know of a
good free SW for this...thanks

have charter 10/1 package

#18 OFFLINE   Richi

Richi

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:05 AM

Since DOD has gone national, the MPEG2 AND MPEG4 channels have been VERY hard for the HR20 to lock into. The screen goes blank for about 15-30 seconds until/if the channel is locked into or totaly ignored. Bring back 18a this version of the software is LOUSY.:mad:

#19 OFFLINE   ccr1958

ccr1958

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:14 AM

Since DOD has gone national, the MPEG2 AND MPEG4 channels have been VERY hard for the HR20 to lock into. The screen goes blank for about 15-30 seconds until/if the channel is locked into or totaly ignored. Bring back 18a this version of the software is LOUSY.:mad:

mmmm...i haven't had any issues thus far...
knock on wood

#20 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:31 PM

Yes, Download speeds are dependent on your provider for anything less<7Mbps. Run a speedtest.net to see your actual download speed, which will vary considerably.

See funhouse's post for the "cap" >7Mbps.

Actually, my point was it looks like download speeds depend on the DOD Provider, not the broadband provider. For example, it looks to me like MTV on Demand allows you to download faster than Starz On Demand.
AT9 w/ Splitters & WB616 / SWM5
Living Room: HR21-700 / HR20-100 & 50" Hitachi 1080P Plasma w/ HD-A30 + Playstation 3 = Purple Nation!
Master Bedroom: HR20-700 & 42" Panasonic Plasma
Both Bedrooms: HR20-100 & 42" Panasonic Plasma.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...