Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: NHL Network (Channel 215)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
158 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   marlen

marlen

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:50 AM

Ge wiz, Mostly Pittsburgh (6) and Detroit(6) on the schedule. :down: Some teams only twice.

I would hope they consider changing that. It seems like Pittsburgh and Detroit are always featured in this style of programming. For example, Pittsburgh seemed to be on 94 in HD 80% of the time last year. And when NBC does it's Sunday coverages - it always seems to be Detroit, Pittsburgh, The Devils, Dallas, and CO.

Don't get me wrong, watching Crosby, Malkin, and Stahl is a good thing, but with the proliferation of channel choices now, the NHL in conjunction with D* should work to showcase other teams to help grow support for the entire league - not just the teams that have a few top names players.

The NHL is a different sport and has a different style of fan base than that of say the NFL - where the Cowboys, Giants, and Indy seem to get a lot of prime time coverage. IMO the NHL's audience has a greater capacity to value teams and matchups beyond they're hometown or "favorite team.
HR20-700
HR20-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   TahoeTeal

TahoeTeal

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:51 AM

If you combine this new channel with Versus and NHL Center Ice we've got more hockey then ever before. I think it's great!

#43 OFFLINE   kryscio23

kryscio23

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:11 AM

12:07 p.m. -- The NHL Network is replaying the Thrashers/Canadiens game from last night ... and it said, "this game is being presented in TSN HD." Sooooooooo how come (even the replay) it has pillar bars on the left and right, on my HD version of the channel? Seems if it was originally presented in HD, it shouldn't be hard to replay it in HD.

Semi-off note ... I noticed on Monday that the NFL Network fancied up their pillar bars just a little bit with mesh-honeycomb-looking screening.

#44 OFFLINE   farjo08

farjo08

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:15 AM

I just got off the phone with D* and they fixed my problem. This was the specific problem:

I only have the old Total Choice but I do have Center Ice. I was told that the NHL Network is part of the Total Choice Plus/Xtra package, but it should also be authorized for CI customers as well. There appears to be a problem in their programming / tiers that it is only authorizing the SD feed for CI customers.

What they had to do to fix the problem was they upgraded me to XTRA to confirm I could get the channel, he then said he made some packaging change to add the HD channel to the CI package / tier then switched me back to my old package.

I now get both the HD and SD feeds.

So according to D*, you should only get the NHL Network if you either have Total Choice Plus / Xtra and/or subscribe to the CI package.

Hope this helps those of you that are not receiving the channel but think you should be receiving it.

I do find it odd that I get Big Ten, NFL and NBA (none of which I care about) just fine, always have, but the one channel I was really looking forward to is in a higer package then the one I get. Oh well, but at least it's working now.

#45 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:20 AM

12:07 p.m. -- The NHL Network is replaying the Thrashers/Canadiens game from last night ... and it said, "this game is being presented in TSN HD." Sooooooooo how come (even the replay) it has pillar bars on the left and right, on my HD version of the channel? Seems if it was originally presented in HD, it shouldn't be hard to replay it in HD.

Semi-off note ... I noticed on Monday that the NFL Network fancied up their pillar bars just a little bit with mesh-honeycomb-looking screening.

They might only be able to pick up live game feeds in HD, may not have the facilities to record and rebroadcast in HD.
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#46 OFFLINE   bosco10021

bosco10021

Icon

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:27 AM

They might only be able to pick up live game feeds in HD, may not have the facilities to record and rebroadcast in HD.

I doubt this is true...I bet this game replay is being shown in HD in Canada.

Can someone confirm this replay in HD?

#47 OFFLINE   pavlov

pavlov

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:49 AM

I'm getting a SD replay on my HD channel :(

#48 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:52 AM

Just a thought..

The NHL Network that Directv broadcasts (from reports read here) is exactly the same as the Canadian version.

The NHL Network is part of TSN (the Canadian ESPN).

TSN broadcasts HD hockey games in Canada during the week, some of which are shown on Center Ice in SD.

Obviously the infrastructure is in place to receive the HD signal from The NHL Network / TSN.

If my logic is correct, Directv should then be able to show HD feeds of TSN hockey games on Center Ice.

Let's do it.

Not exactly the same. The live games are different in Canada...and there is no HD version of the channel up there. For all I know, the upconversion to HD is happening in the US.

Since E* doesn't show any HD games from Canada -- and they try to show every feed they can -- I would guess that there are licensing issues unique to the HD games from Canada.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#49 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:53 AM

I doubt this is true...I bet this game replay is being shown in HD in Canada.

Can someone confirm this replay in HD?

I don't believe that Canada even has an HD version of the NHL Network

Edit In: http://www.tsn.ca/nh...ture/?fid=11240

I can't find anything referencing an HD version of Canada's NHL Network
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#50 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:55 AM

[quote name='Peter305'][quote name='Chuck W']I'd call and see what's up.

IMO, if Directv wants to do this right, they should make this channel accessible to ANYONE who purchased the CI package(at least thru the season), regardless if they have the "plus" package or not.

I just hace the NHL CI Package and it was on my TV this morning...in SD. I don't know if there is a difference with HD.[/QUOTE]

It is available to anyone that purchased NHL CI, regardless of any other package.

If you have CI, you will get NHL Network.

In addition, if you have Choice Xtra (or the older equivalent) you will receive NHL Network.

#51 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:56 AM

I don't believe that Canada even has an HD version of the NHL Network

Correct.

H24-200 -->

#52 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:56 AM

Really looking forward to classic games and classic highlights.

#53 OFFLINE   eengert

eengert

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:19 AM

I assume that any games on NHL Network that feature my local team (Sabres) and are carried on my local RSN will be blacked out on the NHL Network. Does everyone think that this is a fair assumption?
- Eric

---------------------------------------------
D* Equipment:
2 - HR20-700's
8-ch SWM

Televisions:
50" Sony SXRD (xbr1)
32" JVC SD CRT

AVR:
Denon AVR 2307CI

Other Components:
Slingbox AV
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player
Playstation 3 (60Gb)

#54 OFFLINE   bosco10021

bosco10021

Icon

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:22 AM

I assume that any games on NHL Network that feature my local team (Sabres) and are carried on my local RSN will be blacked out on the NHL Network. Does everyone think that this is a fair assumption?

True...but it just might be the same broadcast on The NHL Network anyways.

The game shown on the sneek preview last week was the same as the Florida FSN feed.

#55 OFFLINE   evad

evad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:23 AM

I would guess you are right:mad: we get to watch the crappy picture on msg

#56 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:24 AM

I would say so.

H24-200 -->

#57 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:36 AM

I would guess you are right:mad: we get to watch the crappy picture on msg

now what would be really funny would be if the NHL Network picked up and FSN NY HD or MSG HD feed to the CONUS, but had to black it out in the NYC DMA.

That might just make me chuckle ;)

Would be the first time D* got an HD feed from one of them...

#58 OFFLINE   GutBomb

GutBomb

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:36 AM

I know at least on CI I don't think they have ever carried a Canadian HD feed, and TSN is canadian.

Also, the games we're getting on our NHL network are not the same games being shown on the Canadian version.

#59 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:07 PM

Really looking forward to classic games and classic highlights.

+1. I want to see Ron Hextall go after Chelios again!:D
HR20-100S 2 lines | Sharp Aquos LC-32DA5U HDMI | Onkyo TX-SR 604 (digital coax) | Polk Audio RC85i
HR20-700S 1 line | Sony KP-51WS510 HDMI-DVI | Panasonic SC-HT95 | Polk Audio RC85i | Networked
R15-500 connected to an old Sanyo (1 line)
Vista Home Premium | BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP | Comcast 6Mbps/Motorola SB5100 modem

#60 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:20 PM

I know at least on CI I don't think they have ever carried a Canadian HD feed, and TSN is canadian.

Also, the games we're getting on our NHL network are not the same games being shown on the Canadian version.

Are you sure we are getting different games on the NHL network here?
If you look at the game schedule on the NHL Network website I think all the games involve US based teams.

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...ture/?fid=10435

Protected By... spam firewall...And...