Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Discusson: NHL Network (Channel 215)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
158 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   wolfjc

wolfjc

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:00 PM

Just to clarify, this exclusive window only applies to US teams. That is why, last night, on CI, we WERE able to watch Toronto @ Ottawa(2 Canadien teams), but we were NOT able to see Washington @ Atlanta. I'm not sure the exclusivity lasts all night either, but not sure on this(meaning there is a possiblility if Versus covered a 7pm game, the 10pm+ games can be shown elsewhere and vice versa).

I really hate the NHL for scheduling "other" games, besides the "Versus exclusive" game, at the same time, thus depriving not only general NHL fans of a game, but the fans of the US teams that you cannot see, because of Versus's exclusive window.

If the NHL wants to dole out an exclusive window, fine, but then DON'T schedule other games, at that same time.

As I replied to another post when Versus is broadcasting a game THAT game is only on Versus but the rest of the NHL games can be and are carried on CI, at least over on E*

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:59 PM

I am very disappointed in the NHL network so far.

The ticker at the bottom hasnt been updated since the launch. I actutally like the ticker on the NHL network from Canada. During the day it gives nhl news and transactions and during the evening or whenever games are going on it give very up to date scores, and all goals and assisits. Since they are using TSN's broadcasters for NHL on the Fly, why couldnt they use TSN's ticker?

There seems to be no hd content at all - except for live games once or twice a week. The pillar box screen is awful to watch. I actually like the SD feed better most of the time. I even saw 1 or 2 live games with those stupid vertical lines down the each side of the screen. Even if the feed isn't HD I am pretty sure they could format the screen like ESPN does when showing non HD programming. Would it be so hard to shift the pillar box to the left and use the rest of the screen to show standing, stats etc. Who is producing this channel? An ex fast food restaurant manager?

NHL network should get thier act together. This is an embarassment to the NHL when you compare it to the NFL and NBA.

Z

I understand this is an HD thread but I have to say I am enjoying the NHL Network in SD, which is all I have right now. Yes it could be better, especially the ticker at the bottom which is annoying but all in all this channel is a real blessing for hockey fans. Let's give thanks it is here rather than kicking at it. There is nothing like the NHL on the Fly program it is a must for hockey fans.

#143 OFFLINE   perilous

perilous

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:34 PM

I personally enjoyed being able to see the HOF ceremonies last night also; although I DO agree, the channel IS a little lame thus far......the ticker is essentially useless, plus ANNOYING SAME commercials OVER and OVER!!!!

#144 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:27 PM

I wish they'd show more hockey. Heck, even if they should show some AHL games..better than just talk shows.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#145 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:09 PM

Was the ceremony actually in HD? I can't record it until, I think, tonight. And why can't they get rid of that huge banner at the bottom. It's been a while now, we know what we're watching. It takes up too much space.

#146 OFFLINE   Oilfan

Oilfan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:29 PM

Ceremony wasn't on HD. Also, it wasn't televised on NHL Network in Canada. It was televised on TSNa (digital alternate channel that few even know exist). It will be televised on TSN on 7:30 ET on Wednesday in Canada.

#147 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:21 AM

NHL Network Signs Broadcast Extension Of ECHL Game Coverage

Deal Includes 22 'Game Of The Week' Match-ups, All-Star Game And Kelly Cup Playoffs

TORONTO – NHL Network today announced it has reached a one-year extension for broadcast rights to games of the ECHL, a league with affiliations with 26 of the 30 NHL franchises and 26 of 29 American Hockey League (AHL) clubs. The broadcast package provides NHL Network in Canada and the U.S. with 22 'Game of the Week' match-ups throughout the remainder of the 2007-08 season, airing Saturdays at 7 p.m. ET. The deal also includes the Chase Chevrolet ECHL All-Star Game and the Kelly Cup Playoffs.

This is the sixth consecutive year of ECHL action on NHL Network (see complete broadcast schedule below).

NHL Network's broadcast schedule gets underway on Saturday, Nov. 17 with Alaska @ Idaho at 7 p.m. ET. Highlights of the network's schedule include nine games featuring the defending Kelly Cup champion Idaho Steelheads, live coverage of the 16th annual ECHL Chase Chevrolet All-Star Game on Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2008 and the Kelly Cup Playoffs in Spring 2008. Over the years, 333 former ECHL players have suited up in the NHL.

This marks the second broadcast agreement this week for NHL Network, which previously unveiled a 20-game broadcast package with the AHL for the 2007-08 season.

Note - the schedule is on NHL.com. I wish they'd also show some AHL games.
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#148 OFFLINE   bosco10021

bosco10021

Icon

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:32 AM

NHL Network Signs Broadcast Extension Of ECHL Game Coverage

Deal Includes 22 'Game Of The Week' Match-ups, All-Star Game And Kelly Cup Playoffs

TORONTO – NHL Network today announced it has reached a one-year extension for broadcast rights to games of the ECHL, a league with affiliations with 26 of the 30 NHL franchises and 26 of 29 American Hockey League (AHL) clubs. The broadcast package provides NHL Network in Canada and the U.S. with 22 'Game of the Week' match-ups throughout the remainder of the 2007-08 season, airing Saturdays at 7 p.m. ET. The deal also includes the Chase Chevrolet ECHL All-Star Game and the Kelly Cup Playoffs.

This is the sixth consecutive year of ECHL action on NHL Network (see complete broadcast schedule below).

NHL Network's broadcast schedule gets underway on Saturday, Nov. 17 with Alaska @ Idaho at 7 p.m. ET. Highlights of the network's schedule include nine games featuring the defending Kelly Cup champion Idaho Steelheads, live coverage of the 16th annual ECHL Chase Chevrolet All-Star Game on Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2008 and the Kelly Cup Playoffs in Spring 2008. Over the years, 333 former ECHL players have suited up in the NHL.

This marks the second broadcast agreement this week for NHL Network, which previously unveiled a 20-game broadcast package with the AHL for the 2007-08 season.

They are :

NHL Network’s 2007-08 AHL broadcast schedule is as follows:

Thursday, Nov. 15 – Rochester @ Syracuse at 7 p.m. ET
Thursday, Nov. 22 – Toronto @ Lake Erie at 7 p.m. ET
Thursday, Nov. 29 – Lake Erie @ Rochester at 7 p.m. ET
Thursday, Dec. 6 – Worcester @ Portland at 7 p.m. ET
Thursday, Dec. 13 – Toronto @ Rochester at 7 p.m. ET
Thursday, Dec. 20 – Springfield @ Portland at 7 p.m. ET
Thursday, Jan. 10 – Lake Erie @ Rockford at 7 p.m. ET
Thursday, Jan. 17 – Philadelphia @ Wilkes-Barre/Scranton at 7 p.m. ET
Thursday, Jan. 31 – Lowell @ Portland at 7 p.m. ET
Thursday, Feb. 7 – San Antonio @ Lake Erie at 7 p.m. ET
Thursday, Feb. 14 – Hershey @ Wilkes-Barre/Scranton at 7 p.m. ET
Thursday, Feb. 21 – Hershey @ Rochester at 7 p.m. ET
Thursday, Feb. 28 – Albany @ Rochester at 7 p.m. ET
Thursday, Mar. 6 – Philadelphia @ Wilkes-Barre/Scranton at 7 p.m. ET
Thursday, Mar. 13 – Grand Rapids @ Lake Erie at 7 p.m. ET
Thursday, Mar. 20 – Rochester @ Syracuse at 7 p.m. ET
Thursday, Mar. 27 – Manchester @ Portland at 7 p.m. ET
Thursday, Apr. 3 – Manitoba @ Rochester at 7 p.m. ET
Thursday, Apr. 10 – Philadelphia @ Wilkes-Barre/Scranton at 7 p.m. ET
Thursday, Apr. 17 – Hamilton @ Lake Erie at 7 p.m. ET

http://www.amerks.co...px?news_id=1288

#149 OFFLINE   rabi

rabi

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:33 AM

What are you refering to here? Nhl.com having AHL schedule or NHL Network showing AHL games?

#150 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:50 AM

AHL schedule (I didn't know they carried AHL games) on the NHL website.

#151 OFFLINE   rabi

rabi

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:43 PM

AHL schedule (I didn't know they carried AHL games) on the NHL website.

all you had to do was read the article you posted...it mentioned they carried AHL games...

#152 OFFLINE   Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:04 PM

Well count me as one likes the NHL Network and is glad Direct picked it up, but I also think the near-constant advertisement that takes up a huge portion of the bottom of the screen is both intrusive and annoying. They keep scrolling the same thing over and over and over again! :(

No scores, no NHL info, just the same repetitive ads. Yuck. And it hides info or game action on occasion.

Thank goodness it wasn't on during the Edmonton/Vancouver game Wednesday night.

#153 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:42 PM

Does anyone happen to still have the letter that D* sent the NHL CI subs back in early October?? In the mailing, there was mention of a discount for NHL CI subs if they place an order at shop.nhl.com. I think it was something like 10% or something. I can't find this letter anymore, but want to place an order and save some $$$.

The mailing was one of those 'the NHL season is soon starting and we want to thank you for subscribing again' letters. I think it was the same one that included those little NHL team decal stickers for our remotes. If anyone has this mailing still and can let me know (either in a response here or PM) what this special discount was for, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

#154 OFFLINE   bosco10021

bosco10021

Icon

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:40 PM

post deleted by me...my mistake

#155 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:43 PM

Tonight we get the TSN HD feed for the Sabres/Canadians game but no HD.

I was wondering which feed it was. It's blacked out here in Buffalo. If it was the MSG HD feed (which the Sabres home games are available in), then it would make me feel better about having the Sabres home games in HD once the D*/MSG situation is resolved.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#156 OFFLINE   bosco10021

bosco10021

Icon

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:46 PM

I was wondering which feed it was. It's blacked out here in Buffalo. If it was the MSG HD feed (which the Sabres home games are available in), then it would make me feel better about having the Sabres home games in HD once the D*/MSG situation is resolved.

It IS in HD from the TSN HD feed.

My NHL Netork channel was stuck on SD had to change channels back and forth and the HD showed up.

This is why I deleted my previous post.

#157 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:24 PM

The HD from the game is great, but the studio protion between the periods, looks like upconverted SD, is so blurry it hurts my eyes.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#158 OFFLINE   Oilfan

Oilfan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:31 PM

December NHL NETWORK-USA schedule is up -

http://www.nhl.com/n...rticleid=344536

Wednesday, December 5 Ottawa @ Florida 7:30 ET/4:30 PT
Friday, December 7 Minnesota @ Detroit 7:30 ET/4:30 PT
Wednesday, December 12 Vancouver @ Anaheim 10:00 ET/7:00 PT
Friday, December 14 Toronto @ Atlanta 7:30 ET/4:30 PT