Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DOD Download Speed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 513 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:49 AM

Thanks to the collective knowledge of this group my DOD is installed and working properly. Using DSL the download speed is painfully slow. It seems the only practical thing to do is to download at night. Not really "on demand" but OK. I assume the HD downloads, when available, will be even slower. Anyone using a cable modem? How is the download speed?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   FriscoJoe

FriscoJoe

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:01 AM

Thanks to the collective knowledge of this group my DOD is installed and working properly. Using DSL the download speed is painfully slow. It seems the only practical thing to do is to download at night. Not really "on demand" but OK. I assume the HD downloads, when available, will be even slower. Anyone using a cable modem? How is the download speed?

Same here with cable modem. I thought (hoped?) that once the download started, it would keep up so that you could start watching within minutes. That was not the case for me last night.

Perhaps the DOD servers are quite busy with all the new users playing with DOD for the first time??

#3 OFFLINE   jtn

jtn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 856 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:02 AM

It is likely more demand on servers than anticipated by DirecTV. And variances in Cable / DSL providers and speed of connections. Throttling etc.
Living Room: HR20-700S - OTA enabled; Networking & Internet working
Bedroom : HR20-700S - OTA not used; Networking & Internet working
Firmware on both units CE0x1C3
AT-9/Zinwell switch
Using WRT54GS firmware 7.50.02 Linksys for all devices and Internet. Working for download of On Demand. Disabled wireless for extra security.
Comcast Internet & Basic w/discount

#4 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,909 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:24 AM

You ought to try it at 256K, which is what we have out in the sticks.:)

It does work, but overnight would be considered "fast" in my situation. (This is not D*'s fault, of course). I just wanted to test it and it worked just fine.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:28 AM

I think it might be helpful if you did a speed test at one of your favorite sites (I prefer dslreports.com) after the download to see what your local download speed is.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:28 AM

This thread has been moved to the On Demand forum.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   dixoncider

dixoncider

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:39 AM

Pretty fast for me, 25min sd content in about 4 or 5 minutes. The menu sucks but ondemand is pretty cool. Content will be the key here

#8 OFFLINE   d max82

d max82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:46 AM

I used to be able to start the download and then start watching as soon as I could navigate back to my now playing list, even on 2 hour movies with no problem. In the last couple of days it has become painfully slow taking hours to download and hour long show. I've checked my ISP speed and its as high as it ever was, so I think D*s servers are just under heavy load now with the masses able to access DOD

#9 OFFLINE   mikefeuer

mikefeuer

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:48 AM

It took quite a while for what appears to be a full menu of available programs to appear, but it works well. I tried two programs, a 44 minute and the 4 minute intro/welcome to DOD. I wasn't paying a lot of attention but it seems to me that the download times were fairly long at about perhpas 75% of the time of the actual program.

I have a 6MB DSL and using the Linksys WET11. I suspect the WET11 is a terrible drag. Can someone advise how either the new Linksys bridge or game adaptor would speed up downloads.

I hadn't thought about it, but we were watching s show, recording another and added the DOD queue. Seems like a bonus ability.

Even at the lower speed it doesn't really matter to me as it's not interfering with anything, but faster would be better. It is working well for me. I like the progress meter and the overall look and feel. It's a novelty and having Premier and all this HD now I doubt I'll make much use of it, but nice to have.
HR-20-700
Samsung HL-R5067W DLP (HDMI)
Bose 3-2-1-GS II (Optical Audio)

#10 OFFLINE   DConroy

DConroy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:51 AM

Cable here, and a 5 minute content took about 10 mins to download. Not truly fast, or instant. But...should the selection of content improve it could still be very useful.

So, for example, theres a PPV movie this month I want to see, but it doesnt happen to be showing in the 100s at the moment. I select it, start the d/l and just watch a previously recorded show for an hour, and bingo, movies ready. Still pretty impressive IMO.

My current issue, is there's just nothing on there I want right now.

#11 OFFLINE   robdec

robdec

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:45 AM

Comcast cable here. I downloaded a 45 min show in about 15 min. Not too bad I guess.

#12 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:52 AM

I have a 6MB DSL and using the Linksys WET11. I suspect the WET11 is a terrible drag. Can someone advise how either the new Linksys bridge or game adaptor would speed up downloads.

You are probably only getting 2-4 Mbps throughput with the WET11. Newer bridges or game adapter have the "g" standard (theoretically to 54Mbps, actual up to 20Mbps).....Or for futureproofing pre-N
HR20-100S 2 lines | Sharp Aquos LC-32DA5U HDMI | Onkyo TX-SR 604 (digital coax) | Polk Audio RC85i
HR20-700S 1 line | Sony KP-51WS510 HDMI-DVI | Panasonic SC-HT95 | Polk Audio RC85i | Networked
R15-500 connected to an old Sanyo (1 line)
Vista Home Premium | BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP | Comcast 6Mbps/Motorola SB5100 modem

#13 OFFLINE   jtn

jtn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 856 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:55 AM

If you do wireless get PRE-N since it can handle more speed (270mbps) which is good for HD and gaming. And the transmission is 4-12 X better than G wireless.
Living Room: HR20-700S - OTA enabled; Networking & Internet working
Bedroom : HR20-700S - OTA not used; Networking & Internet working
Firmware on both units CE0x1C3
AT-9/Zinwell switch
Using WRT54GS firmware 7.50.02 Linksys for all devices and Internet. Working for download of On Demand. Disabled wireless for extra security.
Comcast Internet & Basic w/discount

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:11 AM

This will give you some idea of your speed; http://www.speedtest.net/
If you're not close to 3 Mb/s, VOD is going to be painful. IMO
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:15 AM

Downloaded a 25 minute show from Anime network in about 2 minutes. I have a 10MB pipe from TimeWarner. I wish you could download more than 1 thing at a time, however. My pipe can handle the load. Would also like to see more HD so I can test the speed of that.

#16 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 513 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:20 AM

This will give you some idea of your speed; http://www.speedtest.net/
If you're not close to 3 Mb/s, VOD is going to be painful. IMO

Yeah, I know you are riight. I have a 802.11g network and slow (768kb) DSL service so upgrading to Pre-N is not going to help. I pay only $10 a month for DSL and Internet and don't want to upgrade and pay more. It cost me nothing to
activate DOD and I can adjust to downloading when I go to bed so the speed will not be an issue. It's a cool feature and another reason for moving to the HR20. It makes DirecTv more attractive to me and gives me one less reason to switch to a different provider.

#17 OFFLINE   jash

jash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:24 AM

earl,

can you ask the guys to put a speedtest on the hr20's so we can see what kind of speed it's really getting on the box, regardless of what the rest of our home network says it's doing?

thx

#18 OFFLINE   hells_bells

hells_bells

AllStar

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:48 AM

It took quite a while for what appears to be a full menu of available programs to appear, but it works well. I tried two programs, a 44 minute and the 4 minute intro/welcome to DOD. I wasn't paying a lot of attention but it seems to me that the download times were fairly long at about perhpas 75% of the time of the actual program.

I hadn't thought about it, but we were watching s show, recording another and added the DOD queue. Seems like a bonus ability.

Even at the lower speed it doesn't really matter to me as it's not interfering with anything, but faster would be better. It is working well for me. I like the progress meter and the overall look and feel. It's a novelty and having Premier and all this HD now I doubt I'll make much use of it, but nice to have.

Guess we just have to plan ahead and not try to watch the show immediately after we start the download.
-----------------------
HR20
13" CRT TV
HI-FI VCR
:)

#19 OFFLINE   cougar

cougar

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:42 AM

I downloaded my first DOD program this morning, a 2-hour standard def movie, it took 1 hour and 35 minutes to download. I have AT&T DSL, the 6.0 Mbps package. I have an ethernet cable connecting the HR20 to the router.

Networking the HR20 last night was a snap, and I woke up this morning to a long list of programs available for downloading. :)

#20 OFFLINE   mikefeuer

mikefeuer

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:12 AM

I downloaded my first DOD program this morning, a 2-hour standard def movie, it took 1 hour and 35 minutes to download. I have AT&T DSL, the 6.0 Mbps package. I have an ethernet cable connecting the HR20 to the router.....

That's very interesting for me. Same DSL and vendor, and your D/L time was still roughly 75% of the programs time in a wired system. Same as my wireless times the other day.
HR-20-700
Samsung HL-R5067W DLP (HDMI)
Bose 3-2-1-GS II (Optical Audio)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...