Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Setup for DOD, A Bit More Specific Please

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 890 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:04 PM

Okay, so I got the new d/l (0x1b4), wired up the HR20-700, and plugged into one of my etherswitches.

Everything on my network is set up for static IP's, so I set up the HR20-700 for a specific address. It seemed to get the correct DNS as soon as I plugged it up.

But, I don't see any response from pinging it, even though the cable (pre-checked) is okay, and the testing (from the HR20-700's standpoint) says okay.

The 'On Demand' is showing up in the menu. No chan. 1000 yet, but I understand that may take a bit of time showing up.

But, why isn't the box responding to the ping, esp. when the thing says everything is okay....

I've run into lots of boxes that have the ICMP disabled due to DOS attacks and such, but this is a couple stages past my router, in fact the pc trying the pinging is on the same switch.

Interesting.... some wacky thing with the HR20?

I might add that although the 'On Demand' is showing up in the menu, nothing yet when I select it; but again, that may be 'active' only after xxx amount of time...?!?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:07 PM

The HR20/HR21 will not respond to a ping.

You are right that once you have the right software like you do and you are connected to the internet you just have to wait for DirecTV to activate you.

#3 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 890 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:24 PM

The HR20/HR21 will not respond to a ping.

You are right that once you have the right software like you do and you are connected to the internet you just have to wait for DirecTV to activate you.

That's kinda what I thought; although maybe they should have made that 'optional' in the setup (no response kinda makes folks a bit wondering, esp. when others have said they had gotten a ping).

But, going on 30 min. and things are starting to 'populate', so to speak. Seems like something is working so I'll leave it be for a bit, probably wait until tomorrow morning as I'm sure from what I'm reading here that they may be a bit overloaded with all the 'connected' units coming out of the woods, so to speak.

#4 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:31 PM

Everything on my network is set up for static IP's, so I set up the HR20-700 for a specific address. It seemed to get the correct DNS as soon as I plugged it up.

I usually have all devices like this (printers, PS2, etc.) on static IP's as well. In this case, I had to use DHCP, because the HR20 did not like anything static. Once I went to DHCP, everything worked great.

As others have replied, the HR20 does not respond to ICMP requests.

If you have channel 1000 and you are starting to see stuff, I would say your static IP is working.

#5 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 890 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:05 PM

Oh, it's all working; d/l'ed a couple smallish things, did minimal testings as to how it all interacted with the rest of the network, and actually it seems to react VERY well to the bandwidth it is given (ramped other parts of the network up and down while d/l'ing and watched how it reacted).

A possible 'add-on' for the s/w folks on this, with the ping/ICMP nulled out, it what some other devices I've seen have, a 'ping' screen within the HR20 setup to allow one to ping from the HR20 out to something on the network (router or whatever) to any IP address, if they can't disable (or enable) the ICMP. Would really help any troubleshooting IF one doesn't get a positive result from the HR20 networking test.

Anyway, a few hours later, and most everything has populated in. Will do some heavy tests tomorrow! Would sure like to see some HD content though......!

Mine seemed to like the staticIP just fine. The only thing 'weird' for now is that it got the DNS from the ISP, not from my router; that's the first thing I'll change tomorrow in doing 'shake' tests! (why is the big question, might have something to do with the thing it wanted DHCP or something (actually, my DHCP on the router is disabled!).

So... have some questions better answered when it's daylight!

#6 OFFLINE   saxon2000

saxon2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:42 PM

Most of the posts that I have read (after networking my HR20) have said that there is no need to access the 'advanced settings' where you will find the static IP, subnet and DNS options, however that is what I did.

I used a Linksys adapter, set it for my SSID and WEP key, had it on auto after that, and set the HR20 to a static IP within my Linksys's wireless routers' range.

All is working well.
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

---------------------------------

R15 300, R15 300, HR20 700 (networked, wireless) HR20 100 (networked, hardwired, esata Venus DS3R Pro Dual-Bay 1.75TB drive)

spam firewall