Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wireless question in regards to getting the HR20 online

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jonpfl

jonpfl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:53 AM

All,

I am new to DirecTV and have read about on demand and would like to connect my HR20 to my network.

Right now, I only have a wired network so I am going to have to get a wireless network in my house. What is the easiest way? What is the difference between a Wireless Access Point and one of those wireless gaming access point?

I was going to buy two linksys wireless access points at BestBuy at lunch and wanted to know if that is the simplest solution (WRT54GS). Do I need to buy a crossover cable?

Thx
jonpfl

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Simpleton24

Simpleton24

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:22 AM

Welcome to the forum,
This link should be helpful in explaining everything you need to set up your connection.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=99327

Question : You say you have a wired network already, do you need to do wireless? Wired networks will be easier and better performance.

Kevin
HR20-700: 0x036F
HR22-100: 0x036F
H20-600: 0x4138
H21-100: 0x42EB
My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   jonpfl

jonpfl

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:34 AM

Welcome to the forum,
This link should be helpful in explaining everything you need to set up your connection.

Question : You say you have a wired network already, do you need to do wireless? Wired networks will be easier and better performance.

Kevin

I already read that post and wanted to know the easiest route to go. I still do not see anything describing the diff between a WAP and a gaming access point.

I could go wired but that would entail running cables across the house and I also want a wireless network in case we have people come over with a laptop.

Thx
jonpfl

#4 OFFLINE   jeff125va

jeff125va

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:55 PM

I have a wireless access point (WAP). The difference is this: if you have a wired network using a wired router, and say you buy a laptop and want to be able to do wireless without replacing your existing router with a wireless one, you just add the WAP - connect it to your wired router just like you'd add a network hub or switch. It lets your computer (or other device) with a wireless network card/adapter connect to the network.

A wireless gaming adapter on the other hand, is essentially the equivalent of the wireless card/adapter inside your PC or laptop, but you connect it (with a cable) to your HR20, XBOX 360, etc. That will then connect (wirelessly, of course) to the WAP.

Depending on the size of your house or other factors, you may only need one WAP. I guess it depends where you have an available jack (or you can connect it right to the router if that's in a good location). You can start with one and find a location where it works best, and then add another if you can't cover the entire house with one. You would need one wireless gaming adapter per device (HR20 or whatever).

#5 OFFLINE   jonpfl

jonpfl

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:03 PM

I have a wireless access point (WAP). The difference is this: if you have a wired network using a wired router, and say you buy a laptop and want to be able to do wireless without replacing your existing router with a wireless one, you just add the WAP - connect it to your wired router just like you'd add a network hub or switch. It lets your computer (or other device) with a wireless network card/adapter connect to the network.

A wireless gaming adapter on the other hand, is essentially the equivalent of the wireless card/adapter inside your PC or laptop, but you connect it (with a cable) to your HR20, XBOX 360, etc. That will then connect (wirelessly, of course) to the WAP.

Depending on the size of your house or other factors, you may only need one WAP. I guess it depends where you have an available jack (or you can connect it right to the router if that's in a good location). You can start with one and find a location where it works best, and then add another if you can't cover the entire house with one. You would need one wireless gaming adapter per device (HR20 or whatever).

I do not own any wireless devices and was thinking of getting two of the following from BB/CC : Linksys WRT54GS

The gaming adaptor is $5 more and I figure it is better to have 2 WAP in your house, right?

Is it easy to set up to have them both talking to each other? I should be able to connect my HR20 to a WAP with a standard Cat5 cable, right?

Thx
jonpfl

#6 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:24 PM

I do not own any wireless devices and was thinking of getting two of the following from BB/CC : Linksys WRT54GS

The gaming adaptor is $5 more and I figure it is better to have 2 WAP in your house, right?

Is it easy to set up to have them both talking to each other? I should be able to connect my HR20 to a WAP with a standard Cat5 cable, right?

Thx
jonpfl

See my answer to this here...
http://www.dbstalk.c...2&postcount=101

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#7 OFFLINE   jeff125va

jeff125va

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:33 PM

I think you want the Linksys WAP54G. The WRT54GS is a wireless router which you don't need if you already have a wired router. Just add the access point - plug it into the router or into a network jack (that's connected to the router) in another room. In fact, I believe trying to put two routers in the same home network like that will cause problems. Even if not, the access point is all you need.

But hold on, I think you completely misunderstand. You can't get a second WAP instead of a gaming adapter. They perform two different functions. You have to have a WAP and a wireless gaming adapter. You would never connect your HR20 to a WAP (well, with a cable I mean - it "connects" wirelessly via the adapter). You would connect your WAP to your wired router, and you'd connect the wireless gaming adapter, for example the Linksys WGA54G, to your HR20. And yes with a CAT-5 cable.

The only reason you would need two WAP's is if you wanted to use a laptop in parts of your house that the signal from the first WAP didn't reach. I have only one in my >6000 s.f. house. It's on the main level and I can use my laptop upstairs as well as in the basement (and the main level). It could depend on the construction and other factors though, but I would highly recommend starting with one in a central location and see how it goes.

#8 OFFLINE   jeff125va

jeff125va

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:39 PM

See my answer to this here...
http://www.dbstalk.c...2&postcount=101

Hmmm.. after reading this answer, I realized that I was making the assumption that jonpfl wanted to add on to the wired network - leaving existing wired computers the way they are. If I'm wrong about that, then do what Spanky says and ignore what I said about the WAP. You'll still need the wireless gaming adapter, though, which you'd hook up to your HR20.

#9 OFFLINE   jonpfl

jonpfl

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:55 PM

Hmmm.. after reading this answer, I realized that I was making the assumption that jonpfl wanted to add on to the wired network - leaving existing wired computers the way they are. If I'm wrong about that, then do what Spanky says and ignore what I said about the WAP. You'll still need the wireless gaming adapter, though, which you'd hook up to your HR20.

Yes, you assumed right. I want to add wireless capibility to an existing wired network. I currently have 2 wired routers (first one is a simple one port one for Vonage and the second one is a 4 port router for the computers). What I would like to do (to avoid changing stuff and keeping it simple) is to add something (I assume this is where the WAP comes in) to the 4 port router to transmit a wireless signal in the house (for anyone that comes over with a laptop) and to connect to my HR20 (and in the future, a Xbox360).

I thought the WRT54GS is the same as the WRT54G except that it has a speedburst mode on it (which would help downloading, right?)

In regards to the HR20, I now understand that I cannot connect a WRT54G/S to it (the network guy at work said you could put it in bridge mode) so I have to buy a game adaptor. If I buy a game adaptor, that is only for one device, right? And I would have to buy another for the Xbox 360, right? Can I just spend a little extra and get the Wet200? I assume this is not a normal item as I do not see it listed at BB/CC or CompUSA

Thx
jonpfl

#10 OFFLINE   chris0

chris0

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:33 PM

I thought the WRT54GS is the same as the WRT54G except that it has a speedburst mode on it (which would help downloading, right?)

Correct. Same router, but the S is faster when wireless.

In regards to the HR20, I now understand that I cannot connect a WRT54G/S to it (the network guy at work said you could put it in bridge mode) so I have to buy a game adaptor. If I buy a game adaptor, that is only for one device, right? And I would have to buy another for the Xbox 360, right?

Also correct. The HR20 doesn't have any built in wifi capabilities, that's what the game adapter will add. And yes, you need to add a game adapter to each piece of equipment you want to add to the network that doesn't have it's own built in wifi.

Can I just spend a little extra and get the Wet200? I assume this is not a normal item as I do not see it listed at BB/CC or CompUSA

Sorry, I don't know what that is.
Edit: ok, I just read up on it. I would say don't hassle with it, just get the WRT54g (or gs) and a couple of game adapters. You can replace the 4 port router you have now with the WRT54 and just plug the game adapters into your HR20 and XBox.

#11 OFFLINE   jonpfl

jonpfl

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:20 PM

Correct. Same router, but the S is faster when wireless.

Also correct. The HR20 doesn't have any built in wifi capabilities, that's what the game adapter will add. And yes, you need to add a game adapter to each piece of equipment you want to add to the network that doesn't have it's own built in wifi.

Sorry, I don't know what that is.
Edit: ok, I just read up on it. I would say don't hassle with it, just get the WRT54g (or gs) and a couple of game adapters. You can replace the 4 port router you have now with the WRT54 and just plug the game adapters into your HR20 and XBox.

Ok, I have a WRT54GS setup and running. I will be going to the BB/CC tomorrow and get a game adaptor and hopefully I will be up and running.

Thx everyone for their help
jonpfl

#12 OFFLINE   jonpfl

jonpfl

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:20 AM

A quick question :

Can I use a WAP in place of a game adaptor?

Thx
jonpfl

#13 OFFLINE   jeff125va

jeff125va

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:42 AM

A quick question :

Thx
jonpfl

Sorry, sometimes tone doesn't come across very well in a forum like this. If you're joking, then ha ha, if not, then scroll up about 6 posts to where I bolded "instead of."

So you have the new router (the 54GS) connected to the 4-port wired router? I guess you don't have anything connected to it (wirelessly) yet since you said you don't have any wirless devices, right? Hopefully you won't have any configuration problems getting your gaming adapter to work once you connect that to your HR20. I was thinking of adding a second wired router because I was running out of ports on my first one, but someone here told me that I might have problems running two routers, so I'm just adding a network switch instead. Maybe that's not correct and you'll be fine, but that is why I recommended just adding the WAP instead of the wireless router (which technically does what the WAP does, but more). Hopefully it will work just fine the way you have it, good luck.

I hope I don't sound sarcastic thinking you were joking - like I said, one's intended tone doesn't always come across in text. I know this is a lot of info and it can be confusing - I didn't know most of this stuff just a week ago. But since I had answered that question before, I thought maybe you were kidding, but not sure. :-)

#14 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:59 AM

In regards to the HR20, I now understand that I cannot connect a WRT54G/S to it (the network guy at work said you could put it in bridge mode) so I have to buy a game adaptor.

The network guy was partially right, but you would need another wireless router. Also, depending on your version of the WRT54GS...it may not be capable to be setup as a bridge. (Version 4 or less have bridge capability)

If I buy a game adaptor, that is only for one device, right? And I would have to buy another for the Xbox 360, right? Can I just spend a little extra and get the Wet200? I assume this is not a normal item as I do not see it listed at BB/CC or CompUSA

Thx
jonpfl

There are gaming (ethernet) adapters with multiple ports. The Buffalo in my signature has 4 ports (and available at CC;) )

Here are a few more
Linksys Wireless-G Business 5 Port Ethernet Bridge WET200
Buffalo Technology Wireless-G MIMO Performance 4 Port Ethernet Converter WLITX4G54HP
Buffalo Technology Wireless WHR -G125 configured as a Bridge
Buffalo AirStation WHR-HP-G54 Wireless Cable/DSL Smart Router
Netgear WGPS606 Print Server as a Wireless Bride
HR20-100S 2 lines | Sharp Aquos LC-32DA5U HDMI | Onkyo TX-SR 604 (digital coax) | Polk Audio RC85i
HR20-700S 1 line | Sony KP-51WS510 HDMI-DVI | Panasonic SC-HT95 | Polk Audio RC85i | Networked
R15-500 connected to an old Sanyo (1 line)
Vista Home Premium | BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP | Comcast 6Mbps/Motorola SB5100 modem

#15 OFFLINE   chris0

chris0

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:29 PM

A quick question :

Thx
jonpfl

No. Look at your home network like a wagon wheel. The axle going to the hub is the internet going to your house. The hub is your new router (or could be a WAP, pretty much the same thing here.) At the end of the spokes are your computer, HR20, XBOX, etc. The spokes themselves are the connections to your router.

To add wireless capability to your XBOX or HR20 you need something like this
http://www.linksys.c.../VisitorWrapper
You already have a router, so you don't need any of the stuff listed by MikeR. What you need to add is just going to be something small that plugs into the HR20 and has an antenna on it.

I'm assuming you replaced your old 4 port router with the WRT54GS, right? You're not using both, are you?

#16 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:57 PM

You already have a router, so you don't need any of the stuff listed by MikeR. What you need to add is just going to be something small that plugs into the HR20 and has an antenna on it.

ummm - the ones I listed were multi-port ethernet converter/gaming adapter/ethernet adapter/routers configurable as a bridge.......the Linksys you listed only has one port. jonpfl requested one to connect his HR20 and Xbox.

There are gaming (ethernet) adapters with multiple ports. The Buffalo in my signature has 4 ports (and available at CC;) )

Linksys Wireless-G Business 5 Port Ethernet Bridge WET200
Buffalo Technology Wireless-G MIMO Performance 4 Port Ethernet Converter WLITX4G54HP
Buffalo Technology Wireless WHR -G125 configured as a Bridge
Buffalo AirStation WHR-HP-G54 Wireless Cable/DSL Smart Router
Netgear WGPS606 Print Server as a Wireless Bridge

HR20-100S 2 lines | Sharp Aquos LC-32DA5U HDMI | Onkyo TX-SR 604 (digital coax) | Polk Audio RC85i
HR20-700S 1 line | Sony KP-51WS510 HDMI-DVI | Panasonic SC-HT95 | Polk Audio RC85i | Networked
R15-500 connected to an old Sanyo (1 line)
Vista Home Premium | BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP | Comcast 6Mbps/Motorola SB5100 modem

#17 OFFLINE   chris0

chris0

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:24 PM

ummm - the ones I listed were multi-port ethernet converter/gaming adapter/ethernet adapter/routers configurable as a bridge.......the Linksys you listed only has one port. jonpfl requested one to connect his HR20 and Xbox.

I was trying to keep it simple for him, as close to plug and play as he could get. I meant no harm.

The WET200 from your list would probably be the simplest solution, no?

#18 OFFLINE   aphex

aphex

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:52 AM

No. Look at your home network like a wagon wheel. The axle going to the hub is the internet going to your house. The hub is your new router (or could be a WAP, pretty much the same thing here.) At the end of the spokes are your computer, HR20, XBOX, etc. The spokes themselves are the connections to your router.

I'm assuming you replaced your old 4 port router with the WRT54GS, right? You're not using both, are you?

Actually - He can but it is done at the expense of slowing down your wireless network. Using WDS or Bridging you can have a router act as a AP without the need for the traditional wired backbone.

spam firewall