Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Howard Stern on Demand?!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scb2k

scb2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:08 AM

Do you guys think that maybe soon we could be getting Howard Stern on Demand?? :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:15 AM

Write to Howard Stern... ask them to talk to DirecTV to get on their service
Write to DirecTV.... ask them to talk to Howard Stern to get them on the service
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   scb2k

scb2k

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:17 AM

I will for sure!! Would love to finally be able to watch Howard Stern on Direct TV!

Thanks Earl!

#4 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:37 AM

Yeah, just keep hammering them with emails or better yet call in, get on the show, and ask Howard directly. I know he would be all for it, but In Demand might say no maybe. No one knows for sure unless you hear it from the horses mouth.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#5 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 02:57 PM

I download the show off usenet right now. To be honest, I think I have 60 GBs of shows on my hdd. I download them, but never watch them. I did the same with the E! channel show. I've already heard the episode. 90% of the time I don't really care to see what it going on.

#6 OFFLINE   Force3dFX

Force3dFX

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:58 PM

Howard tv would be a great addition, with one slight change, AN ABSOLUTE BAN ON ALL SIOBHAN.
Jeff Gordon for President
Drive for 5 in pure HD all the way GO 24!!!!

#7 OFFLINE   doubledown11

doubledown11

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:51 PM

Is there a conflict of interest? Since D* has XM and Dish has Sirius? Maybe if and when the merger goes through?
I would definitely pay for a couple of episodes of HowardTV.

#8 OFFLINE   Juggernaut

Juggernaut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:53 PM

HowardTV is on inDemand and I believe inDemand is owned by the cable companies. Doubt they will let it happen.

#9 OFFLINE   Force3dFX

Force3dFX

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:36 AM

you are probably right, although with Howards experience with terrestrial media he might have a pretty open deal and be able to distribute on his own. I defiently will contact them.
Jeff Gordon for President
Drive for 5 in pure HD all the way GO 24!!!!

#10 OFFLINE   StlChief

StlChief

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:56 AM

I have heard several times where callers complained about this on the show. Howard's reponse is always that its not technically possible to do inDemand over satellite.

I don't know if that's true, but if/when they do finally offer it over Directv, I will be all over it.
Living Room: Sony KDF 50we655, Sony HTiB, DirecTV HR21-700 HD-DVR, Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD (R.I.P.),
Logitech Harmony Xbox 360 Universal Remote, Linksys WRT54G
Office/Den: Sony 27" CRT, Samsung DirecTivo, Xbox 360 Pro on a Samsung 19" LCD Widescreen, Toshiba Satellite Laptop/Windows Vista.
But those are all just toys. The real joys of my life are my wife and 3 daughters.
:-)

#11 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:58 AM

I have heard several times where callers complained about this on the show. Howard's reponse is always that its not technically possible to do inDemand over satellite.

I don't know if that's true, but if/when they do finally offer it over Directv, I will be all over it.

Since DirecTV's on-Demand is not via SAT, that may not be the case anymore.

Write and call Howard Stern, and let them know you want to see them on DirecTV's DoD
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   UTVLamented

UTVLamented

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:17 AM

Count me in as someone who would sign up immediately if D* ever offered this. I had HowardTv when I had Cablevision for a brief time last year. It was great (the shows are completely uncensored, no bleeps or tiles) but cable's on Demand trick play is terrible, very slow fast forward. This would not be an issue with D*'s implementation.

I threw Cablevision out after on Demand stopped working and after investing 10 hours on support calls and changing equipment and waiting for a tech to show up (but didn't).
1 HR-20 700
1 HR-20 100
1 DTivo Series 1
1 DTivo Series 2

#13 OFFLINE   rutgersfan

rutgersfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:27 AM

Howard is the only thing cable has that D* doesn't offer. But as huge a fan of Howard's I am, there is no way I switch to crappy cable. Hopefully he comes to DoD. But for now, listening on Sirius is enough. We just need to all write to Stern about it.
GO R.U.!

#14 OFFLINE   jackmehoffer

jackmehoffer

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:17 AM

I download the show off usenet right now. To be honest, I think I have 60 GBs of shows on my hdd. I download them, but never watch them. I did the same with the E! channel show. I've already heard the episode. 90% of the time I don't really care to see what it going on.

Can you briefly describe to me how I can download these shows that you are talking about?

I too am a big Stern fan and wish D* could hammer out a deal with Howard TV now that On Demand programming is becoming possible.

Baba Booey to you all.

#15 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:15 AM

Howard is the only thing cable has that D* doesn't offer. But as huge a fan of Howard's I am, there is no way I switch to crappy cable. Hopefully he comes to DoD. But for now, listening on Sirius is enough. We just need to all write to Stern about it.

The problem is that inDemand is the one that produces and films all of Howard's shows. He does not own any of the cameras, production equipment, etc. and has very little say over what they put up for consumption. He is like a reality family letting a crew from Discovery film him, instead of an independent production.

They are a pure cable option and will most likely never sell their exclusive content to DirecTV or Dish. Howard does not understand all of this; he just says what he is told to by the inDemand folks.

#16 OFFLINE   JBrown07

JBrown07

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:25 PM

Wisegoat is correct about Howard TV On Demand, it is owned by iN Demand Networks which is in turn owned by Comcast, Time Warner, Cox and Bright House. Also another reason DirecTV may not add Howard TV On Demand is due to it being a Subscription On Demand service that retails for $9.99/month on cable. From my impression DirecTV On Demand has only free content aside from PPV content.

Cable also has an exclusive HD network as well, Mojo HD which is also in turn owned by iN Demand Networks.

#17 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:21 PM

Howard does not understand all of this; he just says what he is told to by the inDemand folks.

Do you honestly believe that? As the self proclaimed 'King Of All Media', Poodle Head should understand that just fine. Howie does what's best for Howie, if he felt he could cash in with D*s on demand service, he'd be all over it.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#18 OFFLINE   glennb

glennb

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:53 AM

I'm pretty glad Howard isn't on DIRECTV On Demand.

#19 OFFLINE   scb2k

scb2k

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:59 PM

I'm pretty glad Howard isn't on DIRECTV On Demand.

Why are you glad? It would be a premium channel and you would not have to pay it... so not sure the reason you would be glad.... :confused:

#20 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:12 PM

Why are you glad? It would be a premium channel and you would not have to pay it... so not sure the reason you would be glad.... :confused:

He must be one of them Stern-haters.

spam firewall