Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

BELKIN F5D7230 ($30) router?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kwsmithphoto

kwsmithphoto

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:04 PM

It's small and only $30, but has mixed reviews at newegg.com. Very mixed!

I understand I'd probably do better with an $80+ wireless gaming adapter or switch but I don't want to spend half as much for that as I did for the HR20, and it needs to have a small physical footprint for living room aesthetics.

Basically, I have a DSL with a modem than incorporates a wireless router in my office. It would be great if there was a phone line behind the a/v gear but there isn't, otherwise I'd just put the modem/router there and plug the HR20 into it with a CAT5 cable.

So...has anyone gotten this to work for the sole purpose of putting an HR20 on their wireless network? I won't be using it as an access point, the one in the office is sufficient for that, and it doesn't need to talk to the internet per se, just the router, which should avoid a lot of the problems reported on newegg.

Are there any other LOW cost, small footprint solutions? I can get used "classic" WRT54G Linksys routers off eBay cheap enough, but they're way too big and too ugly for this, my fiancee would freak if I put one of those beasts in the same place as her precious (and expensive) decor. The HR20 was enough of an imposition but turning the useless LED cluster off seems to have appeased her.

Really don't wanna pay much more than $30 for this since it's not going to be a multi-use access point, it's just going to put the HR20 on my home lan.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,962 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:15 PM

It's small and only $30, but has mixed reviews at newegg.com. Very mixed!

I understand I'd probably do better with an $80+ wireless gaming adapter or switch but I don't want to spend half as much for that as I did for the HR20, and it needs to have a small physical footprint for living room aesthetics.

Basically, I have a DSL with a modem than incorporates a wireless router in my office. It would be great if there was a phone line behind the a/v gear but there isn't, otherwise I'd just put the modem/router there and plug the HR20 into it with a CAT5 cable.

So...has anyone gotten this to work for the sole purpose of putting an HR20 on their wireless network? I won't be using it as an access point, the one in the office is sufficient for that, and it doesn't need to talk to the internet per se, just the router, which should avoid a lot of the problems reported on newegg.

Are there any other LOW cost, small footprint solutions? I can get used "classic" WRT54G Linksys routers off eBay cheap enough, but they're way too big and too ugly for this, my fiancee would freak if I put one of those beasts in the same place as her precious (and expensive) decor. The HR20 was enough of an imposition but turning the useless LED cluster off seems to have appeased her.

Really don't wanna pay much more than $30 for this since it's not going to be a multi-use access point, it's just going to put the HR20 on my home lan.

That is a router but you need a bridge-type device. Some routers can be converted with third-party firmware, but you need to know what you are doing so you don't end up with a brick. I use a Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP wireless ethernet converter which was ~$52 at newegg.com (it shows up as $60 now).

#3 OFFLINE   kwsmithphoto

kwsmithphoto

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for your reply Bob, but there's a whole list on here about routers that'll work. Is that list for people who also use the same router as their access point? Confusing, because it doesn't say that.

Thanks again,

Kevin

#4 OFFLINE   MeSue

MeSue

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:23 AM

The Belkin routers will only work as a bridge with other Belkin routers. I have this same model and it would not work in bridge mode with my Buffalo router. As far as I know, they can't take third-party firmware either.

#5 OFFLINE   Impala1ss

Impala1ss

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:16 AM

I have that router F5D7230-4; I think it's the same anyway. I can not connect to DOD, and screwed up the router trying to do so. Finally Belkin fixed it for me after about 30 minutes on the phone. I still can't connect to VOD>:mad:

spam firewall