Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to check the size of the drive ;(

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:29 PM

Okay, I've gutted this out for the last few hours and I feel like a tool... I have my eSATA RAID-0 2TB connection in place and I know that it is reading the drive as I don't have any recordings, but HOW IN THE WORLD do I verify that the HR20 actually SEES all 2TB?! ;(.

I'm sure that the answer is simple, so please no flames ;), but remember that I am new to DirecTV while trying to come up with this new solution!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:30 PM

You can't, at least not on the HR20.

#3 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:39 PM

One way is to fill it up with a lot of recordings, note the percentage full that the HR20 is reporting, and then connect the drive to a computer that can tell you the sum total size of all the files on the disk. From that you can calculate how much disk space the HR20 thinks it has available for recordings.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:48 PM

You should change you nick to something without "IT" in it. :D

#5 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 885 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:41 PM

HOW IN THE WORLD do I verify that the HR20 actually SEES all 2TB?!

Uh, got a calculator?? Of course, right in the desktop.

Simply record just a bit (a couple hours of Mpeg2 channel in HD will suffice), just enough to get if 'off' 100% (in fact, if will be at 99% just hooking up and formatting, with the 'set aside' for DirecTV's use), but if you record so that you get 'down' to 98%, that will show you how much as been used, and how much you have left.

Simple Arithmetic!

#6 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:51 PM

Uh, got a calculator?? Of course, right in the desktop.

Simply record just a bit (a couple hours of Mpeg2 channel in HD will suffice), just enough to get if 'off' 100% (in fact, if will be at 99% just hooking up and formatting, with the 'set aside' for DirecTV's use), but if you record so that you get 'down' to 98%, that will show you how much as been used, and how much you have left.

Simple Arithmetic!

First. The "set aside" is way more than 1% and doesn't show up in the percent free indicator.

Second. Once you "get down to 98%", what simple arithmetic calculation can you do that will show what size disk the HR20 thinks it is seeing? Please show your work. :)

#7 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 885 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:22 PM

Second. Once you "get down to 98%", what simple arithmetic calculation can you do that will show what size disk the HR20 thinks it is seeing? Please show your work. :)

I haven't had to 'show my work' since I was an undergraduate. :D

BTW, a 2TB array would show about 1% for between 2 hours (Mpeg2 HD, total time available 200 hours) or 3.3 hours (Mpeg4 HD, total time available 330 hours), or 13.5 hours (for Mpeg2 SD total time available 1330 hours).

All times approximate, but again, easily figured out with a simple calculator. Fastest is of course that which takes the maximum space, the Mpeg2 HD.

Since you don't (apparently) seem motivated enough to 'look up' the standard bitrates of the encoders, simply take a 'short cut' to folks who have, the DVR makers like TIVO or even Tenbox. Once you have their 'numbers', you can go back to the encoders and 'reverse engineer' their numbers for accuracy. I have. Takes about a minute.

#8 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:08 PM

Gotcha ;)

For the record, I'm not a complete idiot ;)... I was searching for a quick and easy way to do this using just the HR-20. I'm still used to the Dish Network VIP611 interface... No doubt that D* has E* BURRIED in the HD programming department, but I think D* could learn a few things from their software engineers! The HR-20 interface leaves a bit to be desired!

#9 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:04 PM

I haven't had to 'show my work' since I was an undergraduate. :D

BTW, a 2TB array would show about 1% for between 2 hours (Mpeg2 HD, total time available 200 hours) or 3.3 hours (Mpeg4 HD, total time available 330 hours), or 13.5 hours (for Mpeg2 SD total time available 1330 hours).

All times approximate, but again, easily figured out with a simple calculator. Fastest is of course that which takes the maximum space, the Mpeg2 HD.

Since you don't (apparently) seem motivated enough to 'look up' the standard bitrates of the encoders, simply take a 'short cut' to folks who have, the DVR makers like TIVO or even Tenbox. Once you have their 'numbers', you can go back to the encoders and 'reverse engineer' their numbers for accuracy. I have. Takes about a minute.

Except you haven't done that either, because there are no "standard bitrates" for the encoders. Every program that the HR20 receives and saves to the DVR hard disk uses something called Stat Muxing during the encoding process which is a method where the programs are encoded with a variable bitrate, where they all share a variable portion of the total available bitrate for the transponder that they share with other channels on the same transponder, using a higher bitrate when needed and a lower bitrate when possible, but NEVER using the same bitrate as any other program and NEVER even using the same average bitrate as any other program. As a result there will be wide differences in the total number of bits used to encode every hour of programming based on the source material.

Even ignoring all of the above, your estimates that you “easily figured out with a simple calculator” are way off. On average, a 2TB disk would typically hold closer to 3-4 hours of MPEG2 HD programming for each percent of used disk space, as opposed to your estimate of about 2 hours, and your MPEG4 estimates are likewise substantially off.

spam firewall