Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network 50x and 510 Name Based Recording Guide

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:40 PM

Here is an official document from Dish Network on how to use Name Based Recording (NBR) on the Dish 501, Dish 508, and Dish Player-DVR 510.

Click HERE for the Name Based Recording Document.

This is the same document referenced in a short video that has been uploaded to 50x and 510 receivers that have received the new software allowing NBR.

Note: This document will also be available at www.dishnetwork.com/record in the near future.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Sat4me

Sat4me

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:27 PM

Do we have any idea when the rest of us 50X users will get the upgrade? I've been waiting patiently for several weeks now.

#3 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:21 PM

Sorry I do not, but hang in there they are slowly rolling out to all.
Rob

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,312 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:29 AM

Wow. Is this document so much clearer than the instructions I extracted from another manual for our 508s and than the ones we got with our 722 a month ago. Perfect it's not, but so much better. Thanks.

Oh, and our second 508 got the upgrade last night.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:47 PM

Thank you soooo much for posting this! We were going CRAZY trying to use the new name based recording. I printed out the instructions. Where is the video supposed to be downloaded to?

#6 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:59 PM

It should download automatically to your 50x/510 once you have the new software. I don't have a 50x/510 anymore so I can't tell you for sure how long it may take. I know from past auto-downloads they typically show up overnight, if your receiver is idle. If it's busy recording other events you may not get it. Also, my guess is everything in the video is covered in the document uploaded here so even if you never see it I wouldn't sweat it.
Rob

#7 OFFLINE   looney2ns

looney2ns

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:02 AM

How do I tell what series Dish DVR my father has? Model number on the label is D18H0VR625.
Is it a 625 series?

#8 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:47 PM

Probably a smudged/misread DISHDVR625 which would indeed make it a 625. The Sys Info screen (Menu-Menu or Menu-6-1-3) will also identify the model.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#9 OFFLINE   looney2ns

looney2ns

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:53 PM

Thank you. He indeed must have mis-read the label.

#10 OFFLINE   doxieland

doxieland

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:17 AM

Here is an official document from Dish Network on how to use Name Based Recording (NBR) on the Dish 501, Dish 508, and Dish Player-DVR 510.

Click HERE for the Name Based Recording Document.

This is the same document referenced in a short video that has been uploaded to 50x and 510 receivers that have received the new software allowing NBR.

Note: This document will also be available at www.dishnetwork.com/record in the near future.

Hi and Help!
Offer of "update" for one of our 508s has arrived. So far, I have not allowed the change.
My first question is how long will it be before this "update" is forced to my 508?

Second Question - since I have been quite pleased with my current ability to move thru quide and make my selections that I want to dvr - will i have that same simple function with this new nbr software update?

It appears that the nbr is fraught with issues I don't care to experience. I don't want to find out after the fact that there was a conflict and I didn't get the program I wanted.
I don't need to schedule in advance with "all episodes" etc. - I like the present system I have - select going thru the guide or manually adjusting times if I desire -
And I don't want to lose my current recordings until I have had time to watch - are people still having that recordings being deleted issue with the nbr update?

I have a 921 receiver that was excellent until the reliable 289 software was updated - and the current 332 software is simply awful - hope not to experience that with this nbr update for our 508s.

I printed the nbr guide from the link posted here - but just do not understand if I will be losing the ability to just scroll thru schedule and hit record as I do now.

any help and feedback will be appreciated.
thanks,
doxieland

#11 OFFLINE   Sat4me

Sat4me

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:29 PM

These are very good questions. I, too, would like to know the answers before I accept the upgrade.

Anyone??????????

#12 OFFLINE   Sat4me

Sat4me

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 04:39 PM

Well, I got tired of waiting and accepted the upgrade this morning. Everything seems ok except, I setup a timer for a football game today and when I returned, it had been recorded in 2 parts for some reason. First part was until a couple of minutes into the second half with 2:03 showing as time recorded and the second recording started up where the first one left off and shows 2:25 for the recording. At least, I seem to have gotten all or almost all but I would sure hate for this to happen in the middle of a movie.

Does anyone have any info on why this might happen? Is anyone else having this problem?

#13 OFFLINE   mrdctaylor

mrdctaylor

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:52 AM

Does anyone else have problems with the DishPass? I tried creating several using title matching (both with and without the Exact Match option) and I could never get it to find anything in the program guide even though it should. I event selected a program from the guide and made a DishPass from it and it did not find it. HELP! :mad:
ps. I have a 501

#14 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:08 PM

Well, I got tired of waiting and accepted the upgrade this morning. Everything seems ok except, I setup a timer for a football game today and when I returned, it had been recorded in 2 parts for some reason. First part was until a couple of minutes into the second half with 2:03 showing as time recorded and the second recording started up where the first one left off and shows 2:25 for the recording. At least, I seem to have gotten all or almost all but I would sure hate for this to happen in the middle of a movie.

Does anyone have any info on why this might happen? Is anyone else having this problem?

Did the electricty go out? You will see two diffent titles when that happens. Or was it raining, sometimes when the signal is lost during a recording it may do two diffrent recordings.

#15 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:23 PM

This outdated sticky includes links to a PDF file that doesn't exist anymore. I attempted to find a new link to include here, but was unsuccessful. Anyone have a link to the original PDF file?

#16 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:35 PM

The EKB points to the link Rob originally provided. If someone has the file, I'll get it on the EKB which is a bit more stable than dishnetwork.com.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

spam firewall