Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR-20 Losing Recordings

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   taylorhively

taylorhively

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:33 PM

Hi all.

Sorry if this same discussion is buried in another thread but I couldn't find it.
As of very recently I've started to see a lot of missed recordings on my 3 HR20-700s.

1) Recording is made. Try to play it back (select Play) and I immediately get the question if I want to delete or keep the recording.
It's symptomatic of a 0-length recording essentially.

Last night it was recording Ugly Betty. The guide and to-do all reflected that it was actually recording ugly betty (recording in progress.)
But from the list if I select "play" on ugly betty, it just showed a black screen. I couldn't pause, play, stop, ....nothing.
But I could change channels and change back to that channel and watch ugly betty live. I just couldn't start it from the recordings list.
So I stopped the recording, and then tried to play it from the list. I got the delete/keep message (no playback.)

I've had several of these types of record events. It's not 1 box, it's all of them.
It's not a reception issue, both tuners are able to pick up the channels.
It seems to happen on OTA channels almost exclusively.

2) Recordings that start and immediately cancel.
From the history list it shows the recordings started and was canceled 2 minutes in to the recording.
There were no conflicts. And no one was there to cancel the recording (just me and my wife.)
This seems to happen on any channel, and is a less frequent issue.

So #1 is a pretty recent issue, within the last few days it started happening.
#2 above has been going on for some time and isn't very frequent. It seems to happen more when the box is left on and not put in standby mode when unattended.

Thanks for any feedback.
5 DirecTV HD DVRs: HR20-700, HR20-700, HR22-100, HR21-100, HR24-500
60" Sony SXRB HD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:36 PM

Try resetting your DVR. That usually clears up this problem. Your unplayable recordings may or may not be recovered after you reset/reboot the DVR.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   taylorhively

taylorhively

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:42 PM

Good idea, I didn't think of that. Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   taylorhively

taylorhively

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:25 PM

Resetting the HR20 did in fact fix the unplayable recordings by removing (deleting) them.
Apparently the software scans for bad files and removes them upon boot-up, and must have identified this as a bad file.

I just hope this doesn't keep happening. I'd blame the hardware or hard drive, but it has happened on all 3 of my HR20's.

#5 OFFLINE   johngosselin

johngosselin

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:28 PM

My HR20/700 loses all recordings occasionally after using my stereo, which is on the same circuit and includes three large amps. Thr recordings have always been recovered with a reset. Once when I switched on the amps while watching a recording, the "delete now" box immediately appeared. I surmise that charging the amps' capacitors causes a voltage drop sufficient to affect the HR20/700.

#6 ONLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:38 PM

My HR20/700 loses all recordings occasionally after using my stereo, which is on the same circuit and includes three large amps. Thr recordings have always been recovered with a reset. Once when I switched on the amps while watching a recording, the "delete now" box immediately appeared. I surmise that charging the amps' capacitors causes a voltage drop sufficient to affect the HR20/700.

You should power your DVR using a good quality UPS (350-500VA). That will isolate your DVR from any power sags caused by your amps.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   johngosselin

johngosselin

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:33 AM

You should power your DVR using a good quality UPS (350-500VA). That will isolate your DVR from any power sags caused by your amps.

That makes sense. The voltage sag would be momentary -- would something like an APC ES350 respond quickly enough to make a difference? (I don't know if a UPS has a latency or not...)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...