Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBA LP HD blackouts

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rebaztec

rebaztec

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:18 AM

Someone please explain why a game that in shown in HD is being blacked out in an out of town market. i.e. last nights Jazz @ Lakers game. The game was on ch. 757 of the NBA LP in SD, but it was also being shown on ch. 652 FSWHD(which I pay for with the sports pack) The after game show, "Lakers Live" was shown in HD on ch. 652, but the game for some reason was blacked out.

Here is my theory:

If a game is shown in HD, it is only shown in HD in the HOME market. The game can be shown in HD if the visiting team has an HD feed going at the same time i.e tomorrow nights Hornets @ Lakers HD feed will be from the Charlotte afilliate. The NBA LP feed would only be the visiting teams HD feed and not the HD feed from the home market. Any thoughts here? I hate calling D* about this because they haven't a clue about these things...

The thing that upsets me is that I could receive the preseason games in HD on FSWHD...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:38 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: WELCOME TO THE DIRECTV SPORTS SUBSCRIPTION HD CLUB :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Check out any of the NHL threads.

We NHL fans have been having the exact same issue since the D10 launch.

It's a fiasco.

#3 OFFLINE   rebaztec

rebaztec

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:49 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: WELCOME TO THE DIRECTV SPORTS SUBSCRIPTION HD CLUB :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Check out any of the NHL threads.

We NHL fans have been having the exact same issue since the D10 launch.

It's a fiasco.

So, is it correctable? Is this something they (D*) are doing wrong? If I call will they know what in the world I am talking about?

#4 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,650 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:21 PM

They seem to be applying different rules to the HD channels than they do to the SD channels. Last night, I could watch the Hornets @ Nuggets in SD, but the HD version gave me the channel not available in your area message. Since Cox Sports did not televise the game in New Orleans, I should have been able to view both. DirecTV needs to sync up their SD & HD blackout rules.

#5 OFFLINE   alevine1986

alevine1986

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:27 PM

I have seen several HD games on NBA LP and none have been blacked out so far.

#6 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:40 PM

Someone please explain why a game that in shown in HD is being blacked out in an out of town market. i.e. last nights Jazz @ Lakers game. The game was on ch. 757 of the NBA LP in SD, but it was also being shown on ch. 652 FSWHD(which I pay for with the sports pack) The after game show, "Lakers Live" was shown in HD on ch. 652, but the game for some reason was blacked out.

Here is my theory:

If a game is shown in HD, it is only shown in HD in the HOME market. The game can be shown in HD if the visiting team has an HD feed going at the same time i.e tomorrow nights Hornets @ Lakers HD feed will be from the Charlotte afilliate. The NBA LP feed would only be the visiting teams HD feed and not the HD feed from the home market. Any thoughts here? I hate calling D* about this because they haven't a clue about these things...

The thing that upsets me is that I could receive the preseason games in HD on FSWHD...

You are now realizing the problems many of the NHL Center Ice customers have been complaining about for over a month. Many of us have been calling and emailing to get questions answered. Many of the answers we receive make no sense.

rebaztec and all other NBA LP customers, please email directvcustomerhelp@directv.com and chase.carey@directv.com and state your displeasure about HD out of market games being blacked out when the same channels' SD feed is provided as part of the sports specialty packages, like NBA LP. Many of the RSNs are now carried in HD nationally (via D10 MPEG-4), so we can find no good reasons for DirecTV to blackout these games when

1.) we subscribe to the specialty sports package,
2.) we have an HD capable receiver activated, and
3.) we are NOT in either team's local market and so no local blackout rules should apply.

The NHL CI customers have gotten D*'s attention to a point about NHL CI. They have at least started offering the home and away feeds of some NHL games, like some of D*'s competitors have done for years.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#7 OFFLINE   rebaztec

rebaztec

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:46 PM

You are now realizing the problems many of the NHL Center Ice customers have been complaining about for over a month. Many of us have been calling and emailing to get questions answered. Many of the answers we receive make no sense.

rebaztec and all other NBA LP customers, please email directvcustomerhelp@directv.com and chase.carey@directv.com and state your displeasure about HD out of market games being blacked out when the same channels' SD feed is provided as part of the sports specialty packages, like NBA LP. Many of the RSNs are now carried in HD nationally (via D10 MPEG-4), so we can find no good reasons for DirecTV to blackout these games when

1.) we subscribe to the specialty sports package,
2.) we have an HD capable receiver activated, and
3.) we are NOT in either team's local market and so no local blackout rules should apply.

The NHL CI customers have gotten D*'s attention to a point about NHL CI. They have at least started offering the home and away feeds of some NHL games, like some of D*'s competitors have done for years.

I'm on it. A quest...

#8 OFFLINE   rebaztec

rebaztec

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:47 PM

I have seen several HD games on NBA LP and none have been blacked out so far.

Yes, but could you see the Jazz@Lakers last night in HD on ch.652? Yes, I know...that was last night. Try hunting around while surfing to see if this affects you. Sounds like it might in the future...

#9 OFFLINE   alevine1986

alevine1986

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:41 PM

Yes, but could you see the Jazz@Lakers last night in HD on ch.652? Yes, I know...that was last night. Try hunting around while surfing to see if this affects you. Sounds like it might in the future...

I don't know because I wasn't watching last night. The free trial runs out tomorrow, so I probably won't have time to find out.

#10 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:50 PM

rebaztec, it's all random.

For example, some Boston Bruins games on NESN have been in the clear on NESN-SD, but blacked out (for no apparent reason) on NESN-HD.

Some games show up on 94/95, some in the 700's, and some not at all.

It's very chaotic right now.

#11 OFFLINE   rebaztec

rebaztec

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:54 PM

rebaztec, it's all random.

For example, some Boston Bruins games on NESN have been in the clear on NESN-SD, but blacked out (for no apparent reason) on NESN-HD.

Some games show up on 94/95, some in the 700's, and some not at all.

It's very chaotic right now.

question is why...I'm going to call here in a minute and stay on the phone with a higher level CSR(if poss.-you know, when you call, you get their badge number/ID and then they can't hang up. Not unless they want to be reported...) and either get a satisfactory answer(good luck)...or credits...(mmm delicious credits - think about it...they advertise one thing and then don't hold up there end of the bargain) whatever comes first...

#12 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

regaztec,
Good luck....

Many have tried (the CSR route), none have succedded.

I'd suggest looking at the NHL thread started by satelliteracer, "NHL fans - we've heard you..." http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=106788

He's a D* staffer that's very eager to help and has provided some real traction on a number of issues. Unfortunately, this random blackout thing seems to be beyond his control.

#13 OFFLINE   rebaztec

rebaztec

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:32 PM

regaztec,
Good luck....

Many have tried (the CSR route), none have succedded.

I'd suggest looking at the NHL thread started by satelliteracer, "NHL fans - we've heard you..." http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=106788

He's a D* staffer that's very eager to help and has provided some real traction on a number of issues. Unfortunately, this random blackout thing seems to be beyond his control.

The retention CSR is telling me that SD rights are different from HD rights...can that be true? He says FSN is pulling the rights for "selected" HD games even though the game is on the satellite somewhere. Guy was cool and gave me $60 in credits...$2 sports pack until May. Not a bad deal I guess...

#14 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,650 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:48 PM

These rules don't make any sense. I'm paying a lot for HD (via upgraded equipment and hd access fees) so I don't have to watch SD content anymore. The blackout rules should be the same. If not, they're cheapening the value of the Sports and Premier Packages.

#15 OFFLINE   vollmey

vollmey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:08 PM

There is no different rules, how could there be. Someone at the top in management needs to decide what is going to happen and stick with it. Then tell there employee's and pass the info down the line. There seems to be mass confusion and stupidity all happening at the same time.

Chase Carey might be the place to start.
Dave

#16 OFFLINE   c_perrone

c_perrone

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:26 PM

The retention CSR is telling me that SD rights are different from HD rights...can that be true? He says FSN is pulling the rights for "selected" HD games even though the game is on the satellite somewhere. Guy was cool and gave me $60 in credits...$2 sports pack until May. Not a bad deal I guess...

Anything could be true, I highly doubt it though, but with the almighty dollar involved....nothing would surprise me....it would be a sad day if we had to pay EVEN MORE for HD sports...

--Clint--

#17 OFFLINE   full moon

full moon

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:28 PM

Oh no!! First NHL and now NBA.. I wish they could get this right..

#18 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:40 PM

The CSR's making this up. Not true, but enjoy the credits.

#19 OFFLINE   rebaztec

rebaztec

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:23 PM

The CSR's making this up. Not true, but enjoy the credits.

Thanks man, like I said, the guy was cool, but I could tell he was totally making "S" up. Unless I see it in writing I am going to have to call back each and every time and talk to them about it. I mean, after two or three more calls I'll have enough credits to pay for the whole season and then the point is moot. That's what they did for me last year and if they can't get their "S" together then whose fault is that. Sure as "H" ain't mine...:nono:

#20 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:26 PM

Well said, rebaztec...

Keep us informed...

Dan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...