Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBA LP HD blackouts

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:10 PM

I think Scott is well intentioned but wrong.

No way HD rights are different. The VP of the NHL is pushing for more HD - I don't think they'd object.

This isn't a bandwidth issue either. NESN-HD shows all hockey games in HD, but most (not all) are blacked out.

I have a hunch that we know more than Scott.

Again, be sure to read Satelliteracer's posts for great info.

Actually the territories for NBA, NHL, MLB are all different and that does effect some of this as it realated to blackouts, but not all of it. But it is absolutely possible for someone to have a blackout for a Denver team (for example) in one league and not for a Denver team from another league, depending on how the territories are laid out by the leagues.

I should have some news for you guys by end of today on the HD blackouts...stay tuned.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   rebaztec

rebaztec

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:17 PM

Actually the territories for NBA, NHL, MLB are all different and that does effect some of this as it realated to blackouts, but not all of it. But it is absolutely possible for someone to have a blackout for a Denver team (for example) in one league and not for a Denver team from another league, depending on how the territories are laid out by the leagues.

I should have some news for you guys by end of today on the HD blackouts...stay tuned.

Thanks man...

#28 OFFLINE   soloredd

soloredd

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:26 PM

I've been frustrated by this forever, even with Comcast. On FSBayArea, they broadcast a ton of Warriors and Sharks games in HD. With the Sharks, most games have come down in HD and have been great (this was with Comcast, as I've only been with D* for 2 weeks). However, the Warriors are different. I know they are broadcasting in HD due to the FoxSports website and the announcers telling me so. Yet, I've seen maybe 3 Warrior games in 2 years in HD on FSBA. What's funny is on Opening Night vs. Jazz, the FSBA feed was SD but on the 95HD channel it was in HD. Now THAT doesn't make any sense to me. Since then, there have been 3 Warrior games on FSBA and none have come down in HD.

Regarding that Lakers game, it did go HD around the beginning of the 3rd quarter for me, but this was on FSW. So, I doubt that helped at all, but I'm even more confused.

#29 OFFLINE   soloredd

soloredd

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:29 PM

http://fsnbayarea.com/index.jsp

You can check out that link and it says on the left hand side "Warriors vs. Cleveland Cavaliers - FSN HD". I'll guarantee it won't be on for me in HD...and I am considered home for the Warriors. But, tomorrow night it says "Sharks vs. Dallas Stars - FSN HD". I bet that will be on in HD.

Let you know :D

#30 OFFLINE   alevine1986

alevine1986

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:50 PM

601 was blacked out here. 639 carried the game in SD. 639-1 (listed in the Guide as FSN Houston HD) was 'searching for satellite,' as it has been since supposed launch. I did not know to check HDNet or 95.

HDNet for some Mavericks games are only available to Dallas via spot beam on 96. 95 is just the rebroadcast of 601 in MPEG2.

#31 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 970 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:18 PM

;) I"m guessing they're saying the middle of december for more NBA HD games,because by then NFL sundy ticket will end ,giving directv 13 more HD channels. but then again maybe not as they only use those channels on sunday,or does it matter? ARRG! i just confused myself.

#32 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,742 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:31 PM

Ok, I just got call from a Chris from the "Office of the Pres."

1. No, HD and SD are the same, no different blackout rules.

2. I caught him telling me that what is going on is D* is picking and choosing what goes on NHLCI as far as HD goes because of Bandwidth problems. Which we all know is just not knowing how your company sends down TV. He got off that kick quickly.

3. He then told that of yeah channels like NESN are on a spot beam. Ok, I told them no they are not they on the new Sat. and D* includes those channels as part of there 70 or so on new HD channels. Again, he has no idea what is going on with his company.

So, I explained to him that he needs to do some checking within his own company and call me back. Which he said he would. I am actually suprised that someone called to be honest. The guy was very nice but just was not sure how things work, all though he started off by telling me the HD and SD channels are subjected to the same blackout rules. We kind of closed the phone call with " D* has gotten calls on this subject" in the last week. So all of the sudden he knows about all of this after he gave me two flat out crazy stories, I won't call them lies because he might not know what's going on. But he has heard of this problems with the HD channels being blacked out, after about 10 mins of conversation. :)

Now, the call came from the 208 area code. Which my Parents live in Western Washington and that's there area code ( kinda why I answered the phone). I'm not sure where the Presidents office is at but I'm betting it's not in that part of the country. I have the # here on my cell. When you call it back it just like calling up D*, same menu's an all of that.

Edit: Keep emailing, we'll straighten them out. Send them to Chase Carey.

The phone call I received after my email was pretty much along the same lines as the one above. The guy, however, told me the HD feeds rights are different than the SD feeds. Didn't know whether to believe him or not.... probably not believe him. hi.

I had to also tell him that NESN HD and several others are on D10 national; he didn't seem to be aware of that.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#33 OFFLINE   jeffwltrs

jeffwltrs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:40 PM

Just finished my two e-mails! Calling a CSR and discussing this matter is impossible!
O-H-I-O

AT9 > WB68
HR20-700 > POWERLINE NETWORKED > HDMI > 72 TOSHIBA DLP FAMILY ROOM
HR22-100 > 42" SHARP AQUIOS LCD FAMILY ROOM
HR20-100S > HDMI > 56 SAMSUNG DLP MASTER BEDROOM
H21-100 > COMP > 56 TOSHIBA HD CRT LIVING ROOM
R15 > 25 RCA SD BEDROOM (ONLY 1 LINE)

#34 OFFLINE   rebaztec

rebaztec

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:48 PM

I checked online at D*.com to see the Lakers HD schedule. It shows the schedule for SD for the next month, but only the next two weeks for HD. It's totally blank after that for all teams. It looks like it's all totally up in the air.

#35 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:52 PM

I checked online at D*.com to see the Lakers HD schedule. It shows the schedule for SD for the next month, but only the next two weeks for HD. It's totally blank after that for all teams. It looks like it's all totally up in the air.

Correct because FOX and the other RSNs haven't provided concrete schedules on those HD games yet. There are some "soft" schedules but they are likely to change as it relates to HD.

#36 OFFLINE   mikeinthekeys

mikeinthekeys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:46 PM

I am incredibly frustrated by this situation... why in south florida, am I offered the HD pregame and postgame shows of the Magic game, and denied the HD version of the game itself? I wrote to D* and so far only an automated response. They promote the HD broadcast on the guide, ch 96, which I think is a Mpeg4 channel here in FL, but after the pregame show, I got "not available in your area." The postgame came back on in HD on 96. Meanwhile the game was shown on FSN North, who promoted the fact they also were broadcasting the game in HD on FSN North. I pay for the NBA package to get out of market games. There was no Heat game on, which I know sometimes is an issue on Sunshine Network. I got to see the game on the Minnesota broadcast, but who wants to watch in SD if there is a HD alternative? I haven't yet received an answer on this, but I'm not hopeful. This is just so frustrating when there is no logical answer!
Working hard every day to stay retired!:
D* since 1994 Setup:
Den - H21-200 Sony 34XBR910
LR - HR24-200 Vivitek proj, Vizio SV420SVT
BR - H20 Olevia 26"

#37 OFFLINE   GoLaLakers

GoLaLakers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:09 AM

All Laker home games are shot in HD, at least the ones that air on FSW which is pretty much all home games aside from the Nationally televised games. So far this season, all of the FSW games have been in HD for me on 652. All Laker Road Games are on KCAL Channel 9, and they too are in HD. But I believe for League Pass games you will get the home teams broadcast for Laker road games.

This is the first season that most of the Laker games will be seen in the LA Market in HD, which I am totally excited about. Last year I had the same complaints as many of you did, but at least they have worked out the problems in the LA market. Good to see there are Laker fans in other parts of the country.

#38 OFFLINE   soloredd

soloredd

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:20 AM

I am incredibly frustrated by this situation... why in south florida, am I offered the HD pregame and postgame shows of the Magic game, and denied the HD version of the game itself? I wrote to D* and so far only an automated response. They promote the HD broadcast on the guide, ch 96, which I think is a Mpeg4 channel here in FL, but after the pregame show, I got "not available in your area." The postgame came back on in HD on 96. Meanwhile the game was shown on FSN North, who promoted the fact they also were broadcasting the game in HD on FSN North. I pay for the NBA package to get out of market games. There was no Heat game on, which I know sometimes is an issue on Sunshine Network. I got to see the game on the Minnesota broadcast, but who wants to watch in SD if there is a HD alternative? I haven't yet received an answer on this, but I'm not hopeful. This is just so frustrating when there is no logical answer!

That's pretty much my situation. Tonight during the Warriors broadcast they even had a commercial for FSN Bay Area indicating what channels to find the game on. 654 for FSBA, 655 when they are on FSBA+, and 96 for FSBAHD. I tune to 96 and get "Channel Not Available".

I just think it's wrong to say I'm in the home market yet I don't get the home market treatment. My guess is because I'm not in Bay Area proper (don't have a local zip code) that is why I don't get it. But, then why say I'm in home market?!

Also, I was able to get the Hornets-Lakers game tonight on NBAHD, 758-1. Why they don't do this for Warrior games really pisses me off. Who do I write to about this?

#39 OFFLINE   GoLaLakers

GoLaLakers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:13 AM

That's pretty much my situation. Tonight during the Warriors broadcast they even had a commercial for FSN Bay Area indicating what channels to find the game on. 654 for FSBA, 655 when they are on FSBA+, and 96 for FSBAHD. I tune to 96 and get "Channel Not Available".

I just think it's wrong to say I'm in the home market yet I don't get the home market treatment. My guess is because I'm not in Bay Area proper (don't have a local zip code) that is why I don't get it. But, then why say I'm in home market?!

Also, I was able to get the Hornets-Lakers game tonight on NBAHD, 758-1. Why they don't do this for Warrior games really pisses me off. Who do I write to about this?

I think your situation will get better once your RSN has a dedicated HD Channel. Last year, I had the same problems last year with the Laker home games on 652 being either on Channel 95 and 96. Some day's those channels would work, other days they wouldn't. It was pretty frustrating. One thing I did notice is that when a Laker home game was televised Nationally (ESPN or TNT), I always was able to get the Lakers FSW HD feed on Channel 95 and 96. The same was true when the Lakers would play the Clippers at home, and the Clipper games was on KTLA, the local Station in LA. I eventually figured out the reason I got these games is that FSW did not want to loose viewsrs to TNT/KTLA/ESPN because they were not available in HD.

Just have a little patience. Believe it or not, the people on this form are in the minority. Most household's in America don't have HD, let alone Digital TV's. It's kind of the evil curse of HD. Once you see your favorite show/sport in HD, you tell yourself you will never go back to Standard Def. The next few years will change the world of HD, as you start to see 40" TV's drop below 1 Grand. I have slowly learned this after getting my first HD set in 2000, when you were lucky to get 2-3 shows a night in HD.

#40 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:44 AM

satelliteracer, I'm 95% certain that the blackouts are due to a software bug or an over-zealous employee "pushing the blackout button".

There's no reason NESN-HD would be blacked out some of the time, in the clear some of the time, while NESN-SD was ALWAYS open.

#41 OFFLINE   rebaztec

rebaztec

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:58 PM

Happened again...

Lakers vs. Magic 12-3-07

HD on FSWHD
HD on Sun

No HD on NBALP. WTF...why???both RSNs are showing the game in HD. It's listed in the guide, but nothing in NBALP? There are only a few other games on at this time. Why not show it in HD? I refuse to call D* about it because they will just BS me. Yeah, they'll listen politely, but they won't have an answer...it's just plain stupid...:mad:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...