Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Remote Control Questions

• Please log in to reply
482 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   GreenScrew

GreenScrew

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:23 AM

Many of my devices (but not all) it takes a double press to turn on/off. In general, is this due to not having the completely correct code set up for the device?

I think all of my AV receivers I have to press power twice (JVC, Yamaha, Panasonic) and two of 5 TV's same thing (Toshiba and Visio). Its not a huge issue, just an annoyance that if its easy enough to resolve I'd look into.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   cthompgh

cthompgh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:37 AM

Many of my devices (but not all) it takes a double press to turn on/off. In general, is this due to not having the completely correct code set up for the device?

I think all of my AV receivers I have to press power twice (JVC, Yamaha, Panasonic) and two of 5 TV's same thing (Toshiba and Visio). Its not a huge issue, just an annoyance that if its easy enough to resolve I'd look into.

Thanks!

Hello

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that applies in my case.

I'm trying to set the Remote for RF use to control the receiver.

The other devices controlled by the remote ie: TV, VCR, AUX, AV1, etc will all still use the IR part of the remote

Chuck

#183 OFFLINE   cthompgh

cthompgh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the info

I'll take one apart tomorrow and let you know

Chuck

PS

Curiosity got the best of me. Took apart one of the remotes.

It did indeed have the extra RF board (with a crystal on it) mounted above the main board.

So... I'll just wait till the new remote I ordered comes up and post the results

OK - I got the new remote in and its a slightly Different Model "RC65R" (with the FCC sticker on the back)

Still NO GOOD.

When I do try to program the Remotes for RF, as soon as I complete the last step, the receiver stops responding to the remote, which leads me to believe that I did program the Remote in the RF mode, but that the receivers are just not getting the signals or processing them correctly. Maybe it has something to do with the 6 digit receiver ID.

To get the Remote working again, I have to use the buttons on the Front panel of the receiver, go into Menu, then Parental Controls, Fav, Program System, Program Remotes and change it back from RF to IR.

I'm going to start a New thread, asking for help if anyone that has the same Receivers and Remotes that I do: HR24-500 and HR24-100, to see if they can Duplicate my problem and try to program them from IR and RF

Thanks

Chuck

#184 OFFLINE   cthompgh

cthompgh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:25 AM

Receivers Model # HR24-500 and# HR24-100
Remote Models # RC65RX and #RC65R (FCC Sticker on the Back)
My Downstairs TV VIZIO Model E47OVL

Has Anyone with these Same Model Satellite Receivers Successfully Programmed their Remotes to control the Satellite Receiver in the RF Mode ? IF YES, what do you think I am doing wrong ??

I can control ALL my TV and Satellite Receiver Functions OK in the IR Mode

I want to Program my Remote to work in the RF mode to Control my Satellite Receiver in another room (Through a wall 2' away). I use a separate TV in that room connected to the Satellite receiver by a RF Modular (the RF Modulator hook up is working ok on that separate TV.

Picture & Audio on this separate TV Can be controlled by the 3rd Remote (IR), But Not the Satellite receiver.

To Program the Remotes in the RF Modes:
I followed the TV on screen instructions (and those same instructions elsewhere in this forum)
I changed the Satellite Receiver from IR to RF (Menu > Parental Controls, FAV> System Setup > Program Remote> Advanced >IR/RF)

Then:

I pushed the mute and select buttons simultaneously on the remote waited for 2 flashes
Entered 961 and then Channel UP (to change the mode to RF)
Entered 275716 (the last 6 digits of my Downstairs Receiver ID HR24-500)
and then pushed select

The Receiver then stopped responding to the Remote. (Controlling the TV still OK Accepting IR Commands)
When I do try to program the Remotes for RF, as soon as I complete the last step, the receiver stops responding to the remote, which leads me to believe that I did program the Remote in the RF mode, but that the receivers are just not getting the signals. Maybe it has something to do with the 6 digit receiver ID ?

To get the Remote working again, I have to use the buttons on the Front panel of the receiver, go into Menu, then Parental Controls, Fav, Program System, Program Remotes and change it back from RF to IR.

I have 3 New Model # RC65RX and 1 # RC65R Remotes. I tried to program All 4 to RF with the same Failed result

The 2nd remote I use with a separate HR24-100 Receiver upstairs

I also tried to set up RF on the Remotes on the Upstairs HR24-100 (receiver ID = 915717, a different model from downstairs) with the same failed results.

Thanks Chuck

#185 ONLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,241 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

Is the six digit number that you are entering the same one that is being displayed on the TV in the instructions presented to you?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#186 OFFLINE   cthompgh

cthompgh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:23 PM

Receivers Model # HR24-500 and# HR24-100
Remote Models # RC65RX and #RC65R (FCC Sticker on the Back)
My Downstairs TV VIZIO Model E47OVL

Has Anyone with these Same Model Satellite Receivers Successfully Programmed their Remotes to control the Satellite Receiver in the RF Mode ? IF YES, what do you think I am doing wrong ??

I can control ALL my TV and Satellite Receiver Functions OK in the IR Mode

I want to Program my Remote to work in the RF mode to Control my Satellite Receiver in another room (Through a wall 2' away). I use a separate TV in that room connected to the Satellite receiver by a RF Modular (the RF Modulator hook up is working ok on that separate TV.

Picture & Audio on this separate TV Can be controlled by the 3rd Remote (IR), But Not the Satellite receiver.

To Program the Remotes in the RF Modes:
I followed the TV on screen instructions (and those same instructions elsewhere in this forum)
I changed the Satellite Receiver from IR to RF (Menu > Parental Controls, FAV> System Setup > Program Remote> Advanced >IR/RF)

Then:

I pushed the mute and select buttons simultaneously on the remote waited for 2 flashes
Entered 961 and then Channel UP (to change the mode to RF)
Entered 275716 (the last 6 digits of my Downstairs Receiver ID HR24-500)
and then pushed select

The Receiver then stopped responding to the Remote. (Controlling the TV still OK Accepting IR Commands)
When I do try to program the Remotes for RF, as soon as I complete the last step, the receiver stops responding to the remote, which leads me to believe that I did program the Remote in the RF mode, but that the receivers are just not getting the signals. Maybe it has something to do with the 6 digit receiver ID ?

I have 3 New Model # RC65RX and 1 # RC65R Remotes. I tried to program All 4 to RF with the same Failed result

The 2nd remote I use with a separate HR24-100 Receiver upstairs

I also tried to set up RF on the Remotes on the Upstairs HR24-100 (receiver ID = 915717, a different model from downstairs) with the same failed results.

Thanks Chuck

========================

PROBLEM SOLVED:

I'm very embarrassed to admit this, but it must be said, in case someone makes the same error

In the remote programming step "Channel Up", I was pressing the up arrow right above the Select Button, instead of the larger Channel Up button to the right (The Channel Up Arrow above the Select Button does advance the channel right??)

Sorry to take up time that should be spent on real problems!

Chuck Thomas

#187 ONLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,241 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:28 PM

========================

PROBLEM SOLVED:

I'm very embarrassed to admit this, but it must be said, in case someone makes the same error

In the remote programming step "Channel Up", I was pressing the up arrow right above the Select Button, instead of the larger Channel Up button to the right (The Channel Up Arrow above the Select Button does advance the channel right??)

Sorry to take up time that should be spent on real problems!

Chuck Thomas

Correct. The Up button above the Select button is not the correct button. Just for clarification, it is not a Channel Up button. It is an Up directional button for use when moving around in menus.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#188 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:34 PM

The Channel Up Arrow above the Select Button does advance the channel right??

No, while watching TV, pressing the UP ARROW button takes you to a neat feature called "Quick Tune" which allows you to quickly access 9 of your favorite channels.

To add channels, simply tune to your favorite channel, press the up arrow button and place the yellow box (using the arrow buttons) on the location to where you want to store the channel, then press the green button. Then while watching TV, simply press the up arrow button and highlight the channel you want to go to, then press select. Its pretty cool, I just wish it had more spaces. :)

EDIT: as The Merg said above, the arrow keys are also used for navigating the menu and guide screens.

#189 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,753 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:43 PM

Hello

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that applies in my case.

I'm trying to set the Remote for RF use to control the receiver.

The other devices controlled by the remote ie: TV, VCR, AUX, AV1, etc will all still use the IR part of the remote

Chuck

I'm glad you got it solved, but this thread is not your private thread, its 5 pages full of many people with remote problems, Greenscrew has problem of his own and asked for help. There will be many more in the future, so I suggest you turn off the subscription to this thread. :)
aka Tivoburkee

#190 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,753 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

Thanks!

Try the following on every device on your directv remote:

1. dtv or AV1 or AV2 or TV
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
3. enter 9 6 3
4. press CH DOWN

now retry the power commands
aka Tivoburkee

#191 OFFLINE   cthompgh

cthompgh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:59 AM

OK Got it now

Thanks for your input

Chuck

#192 OFFLINE   ChrisE_STB

ChrisE_STB

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:26 PM

Hello,

Is there a way to program 2 remotes to RF to control the same Recvr?

#193 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:23 PM

You can program as many as you want. The steps and the number are the same for each remote.

#194 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,753 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

Hello,

Is there a way to program 2 remotes to RF to control the same Recvr?

Once you have the receiver and one RF remote in RF mode, put them aside and do the following on the second RF remote:

1. dtv
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
3. enter 0 0 0 0 1

4. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
5. enter 9 6 1
6. press CH UP
7. enter the last 6 digits of the Receiver ID #(RID), found on a sticker the access card compartment
8. press SELECT
aka Tivoburkee

#195 OFFLINE   GatorDave

GatorDave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:12 PM

I've got a Mitsubishi WD-57734 TV programmed to the HR24 white remote control. The tv will turn on using the "ON" button, but not off with the "OFF" button. I have to move the slider to TV and push PWR twice to turn it off. The receiver recognized my exact TV model when I went to program the remote. Any suggestions?

#196 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,753 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:28 PM

Test all mitsubishi codes, if none give you the discrete commands, you're out of luck. No where does directv guarantee that these keys work for every brand and every model of tv, and it doesn't.
aka Tivoburkee

#197 OFFLINE   GatorDave

GatorDave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:41 AM

Ok, I'll try the other codes. I guess it doesn't make sense to me why it will work with the PWR button but not the ON button. Obviously the remote has the codes to control the tv, and the tv recognizes the remote. Shouldn't the ON button be sending the same signal as the PWR button when turning on the tv?

#198 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,753 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:54 AM

Ok, I'll try the other codes. I guess it doesn't make sense to me why it will work with the PWR button but not the ON button. Obviously the remote has the codes to control the tv, and the tv recognizes the remote. Shouldn't the ON button be sending the same signal as the PWR button when turning on the tv?

No, not really, the tv can have a power toggle that does both on & off, and separate discrete ON & OFF commands that do only one thing, on or off not both. Its up to the code and tv model if the commands are there and if the tv will accept them.
aka Tivoburkee

#199 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

Did a search of this thread and couldn't find the answer so here goes:

Is there anyway to program the "skip back" feature to go longer than 5 secs? Thanks.

#200 OFFLINE   eudoxia

eudoxia

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:00 PM

Is there a key command that will show you which satellite you are using for a particular channel?

I just joined DTV from Dish and used to double pressing the "info" key to show which satellite on their system.

Not needed information, but I'm a geek and if I'm having some signal issues only on some channels, I'd like to know which satellite to check signal strength on.

-jen

Panasonic Viera VT-50
Denon AVR-3805
PS3 w/DNS-323 as Home Media Server

spam firewall