Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Remote Control Questions

• Please log in to reply
504 replies to this topic

#426 OFFLINE   azjimbo

azjimbo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

Well, leaving the batteries out overnight didn't fix anything, so I reluctantly went down and bought a new remote.  Same issue.  After programming the remote (RF) it saves the settings and all works fine.  Then after a "while" it forgets the code for turning the TV on and off.

Any suggestions?

Can anyone recommend a (relatively) inexpensive 3rd party remote that will control the TV as well as all the Genie functions?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#427 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,458 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

azjimbo

Try resetting the remote.

Press and hold the mute and select buttons for 3 or 4 seconds until the light blinks 2 times,

then press 9 8 1.

Wait until the lights stop flashing and then reprogram for your TV.

Edited by jimmie57, 26 August 2013 - 04:51 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#428 OFFLINE   azjimbo

azjimbo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:42 AM

jimmie57 - Thanks, that worked (for now anyway)... I can control everything including turning the TV on and off.  I'll let it sit and try again a little later to see if the codes really did "stick" this time.

#429 OFFLINE   azjimbo

azjimbo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

OK just took a break and tried again... No joy.  Won't turn the TV on or off but all other controls seem fine...

#430 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,458 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

OK just took a break and tried again... No joy.  Won't turn the TV on or off but all other controls seem fine...

If it is working the volume and mute can you live with that ? I have to use my Yamaha remote to turn the AV on and off and that is just once a day.

Sorry that it did not work out.

You might want to try one of the older ones. It works in IR for your receiver even tho it is an RF capable remote.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3cd4d718d8

Edited by jimmie57, 27 August 2013 - 02:02 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#431 OFFLINE   billyd88

billyd88

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

I've had the Genie for 3 days now and have had to reset the receiver twice and 1 out of 4 RC71 remotes actually works. I've tried resetting the remotes and now when I try to reprogram the tv code back in it won't allow me too. I get to the screen where it asks 'RF or IR' and then nowhere to input the code for the tv. Am I missing something? On one of the remotes I can operate the tv functions but not the directv receiver. Been a customer since '97 and have no real issues until now. Anyone having the same issues ??

#432 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,644 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

I believe this has been answered at least twice in this thread alone, and I am away from mine or I'd take a shot at recreating. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#433 OFFLINE   azjimbo

azjimbo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

Jimmie57 - Can I live with it sure, it's not life or death, just annoying. 

I just still find it weird that I've tried two brand new remotes with the same results... Program it and everything works.  After a couple or three on and off cycles, it loses the code to turn the TV on, but it still turns the TV off.  Oh well...

I did go ahead and order one of those "old" remotes, maybe that will fix everything for me.

Thanks for the link to the remote and the assistance.

#434 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,458 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

Jimmie57 - Can I live with it sure, it's not life or death, just annoying. 

I just still find it weird that I've tried two brand new remotes with the same results... Program it and everything works.  After a couple or three on and off cycles, it loses the code to turn the TV on, but it still turns the TV off.  Oh well...

I did go ahead and order one of those "old" remotes, maybe that will fix everything for me.

Thanks for the link to the remote and the assistance.

The RC71 is really new and I am certain they will work on the problems that people are reporting.

I like the feel and extra buttons on the RC65X remote.

#435 OFFLINE   DeweySat

DeweySat

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

Just remember, as someone said earlier, the "Old" remote does not work on RF. You need to be happy with using it on IR. I would not be happy with that.

#436 OFFLINE   VelvetUn

VelvetUn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:13 AM

Let me begin with my setup, Genie HR34 (installed about two months ago), one client and then I re-added my old HR24-500 yesterday. I am using RC65X and RC65R remotes, both with the same issue.

Last night, the Genie became locked up while watching TV. I wasn't in the room, so I don't know what buttons were hit, but it got stuck on a Please Wait menu at the bottom. We could still watch TV, but no commands would work. I did a RBR and after that most buttons on the remote controls would not work. I can watch TV fine, however I cannot change channels. The only buttons on the remote that work are PWR, Guide, List, Menu & Format. Once I exit one of those modes, and the info is still displayed at the top of the screen, I can use the numerical buttons or the channel UP/DWN to change the channels. However, when watching TV only the previous five buttons work. The numerical buttons don't work in the Guide either.

The client and HR24 have no problems with the remotes. Batteries are not an issue either. Anyone have ideas?

#437 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,458 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

Let me begin with my setup, Genie HR34 (installed about two months ago), one client and then I re-added my old HR24-500 yesterday. I am using RC65X and RC65R remotes, both with the same issue.

Last night, the Genie became locked up while watching TV. I wasn't in the room, so I don't know what buttons were hit, but it got stuck on a Please Wait menu at the bottom. We could still watch TV, but no commands would work. I did a RBR and after that most buttons on the remote controls would not work. I can watch TV fine, however I cannot change channels. The only buttons on the remote that work are PWR, Guide, List, Menu & Format. Once I exit one of those modes, and the info is still displayed at the top of the screen, I can use the numerical buttons or the channel UP/DWN to change the channels. However, when watching TV only the previous five buttons work. The numerical buttons don't work in the Guide either.

The client and HR24 have no problems with the remotes. Batteries are not an issue either. Anyone have ideas?

Sounds to me like the problem is with the Genie. I would reset it again.

#438 OFFLINE   VelvetUn

VelvetUn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

Sounds to me like the problem is with the Genie. I would reset it again.

I tried to use the remote to restart through the menu and it didn't work. So I tried something unusual, getting off the couch, and used the box to navigate. Once I hit the down arrow on the Genie, all of the remote commands I had tried this morning and last night started working. So once it ran through changing the channel 50 times, the remote now works. 

#439 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,458 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

I tried to use the remote to restart through the menu and it didn't work. So I tried something unusual, getting off the couch, and used the box to navigate. Once I hit the down arrow on the Genie, all of the remote commands I had tried this morning and last night started working. So once it ran through changing the channel 50 times, the remote now works. 

Wow, thanks for the update.

I will have to remember that info for sure.

#440 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,331 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

That's a weird one.

And by the way just hit the red button to reboot a genie.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#441 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,331 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

That's a weird one.

And by the way just hit the red button to reboot a genie.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#442 OFFLINE   azjimbo

azjimbo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

So I thought I'd update on what I've been through... As a refresher, I had a HR 44 Genie installed last month and when programming the "new" RC71 remote, it would work on my primary TV a few times then forget the "turn TV on" code.  Everything else would work fine, it just wouldn't turn the TV on (it would turn the TV off though).  I tried resetting the remote and programming it in both IR and RF modes, with the same results.  I finally got DTV to send me a new remote figuring it had to be a firmware issue.  Nope, same results.  I then purchased a RC65 remote to try.

Amazingly, it gets even weirder (for me anyway).

After programming the RC65, again everything worked as it should for a little while.  Now, if I have the selector switch set to DirecTV and press the DTV & TV power on button, the Genie comes on, but not the TV.  Once they are on, if I hit the power off button, it will turn everything off (including the TV).  However, if I slide the selector switch over to "TV" it does turn the TV on! 

Again, annoying but workable - sheesh, I've pretty much resigned myself that it's the TV, not the remote (though I've never had this happen before, and the bedroom TV is even older but the RC71 works fine in there)

#443 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• Registered
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

See if the following helps the combination macro work together:

1. dtv
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
3. enter 9 6 3

4. press CH DOWN

aka Tivoburkee

#444 OFFLINE   vpr632

vpr632

• Registered
  • 26 posts
  • LocationPort Saint Lucie, Florida

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

My RC71 and C41 keep loosing connection. For some reason the RC71 doesn't stay programmed to the C41 I have and I have to get out the old remote to turn on the box then redo the MUTE & Select on the RC71.. Any suggestions how to get this issue to not occur? Btw I have an HR44-500 and two C41's but only one C41 unprograms itself.

#445 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,644 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

I'd take the batteries out of the remote overnight. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#446 OFFLINE   vpr632

vpr632

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

I'll try it.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#447 OFFLINE   vpr632

vpr632

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:58 AM

I'll try it.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Didn't work :(

#448 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,458 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

Didn't work :(

Press mute and select and hold for the light to flash 2 times,

program in 981 and wait until the lights quit flashing.

This will reset the remote to factory settings. You can then reprogram the remote.

See if this helps.

Edited by jimmie57, 24 September 2013 - 07:06 AM.

#449 OFFLINE   vpr632

vpr632

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

Press mute and select and hold for the light to flash 2 times,
program in 981 and wait until the lights quit flashing.
This will reset the remote to factory settings. You can then reprogram the remote.
See if this helps.

Not luck with this either. It worked for a bit.

#450 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,458 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:41 AM

My RC71 and C41 keep loosing connection. For some reason the RC71 doesn't stay programmed to the C41 I have and I have to get out the old remote to turn on the box then redo the MUTE & Select on the RC71.. Any suggestions how to get this issue to not occur?

Btw I have an HR44-500 and two C41's but only one C41 unprograms itself.

If you switch the remotes to the C41s does the problem go with the remote or stay with the C41 ?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...