Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Remote Control Questions

• Please log in to reply
494 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:59 AM

http://farm3.static...._cf76e4d699.jpg

I can't tell from the picture, if it has rc64 or rc32 above the TV input key, it isn't. RF remotes include rc34, and rc64r. And you can also tell a RF remote by the FCC sticker on the back of the remote. IR remotes don't have one.
aka Tivoburkee

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   volga

volga

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:38 PM

I see.........

Silver one came with rc34 and the black one with rc64.

So only one can do RF- weird, oh well......

Thanks for the response.

#23 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:05 PM

Wow, pretty comprehensive. The only thing I would do is word the parts about drabacks to RF more strongly. Like say "If you have a HR20-100, just give up and don't even try" ;)

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#24 OFFLINE   CooperTwo

CooperTwo

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:27 PM

I just "upgraded" both of my HR-10's to HR-21's and, until I can reprogram my Harmony 880, I had a remote question. (I put quotes around "upgrade" because I don't yet know if that's the correct word...)

Anyway, I know the HR21 manual states that I can program the volume and mute buttons to control my A/V receiver (instead of controlling my TV), I can't actually figure out how to do this.

I didn't see ANY on-screen instructions on how to do this.

Help?

Thanks.

#25 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:49 PM

I just "upgraded" both of my HR-10's to HR-21's and, until I can reprogram my Harmony 880, I had a remote question. (I put quotes around "upgrade" because I don't yet know if that's the correct word...)

Anyway, I know the HR21 manual states that I can program the volume and mute buttons to control my A/V receiver (instead of controlling my TV), I can't actually figure out how to do this.

I didn't see ANY on-screen instructions on how to do this.

Help?

Thanks.

With a tv code programmed to the tv device, and a code for your stereo programmed to av1 or av2, to get the stereo volume punched through to all devices:

1. av1 or av2
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
3. enter 9 9 3
4. press SELECT
aka Tivoburkee

#26 OFFLINE   CooperTwo

CooperTwo

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:59 PM

With a tv code programmed to the tv device, and a code for your stereo programmed to av1 or av2, to get the stereo volume punched through to all devices:

1. av1 or av2
3. enter 9 9 3
4. press SELECT

Thanks! I'll try that when I get home.

#27 OFFLINE   jrredho

jrredho

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:31 PM

Hey guys, I hope you don't mind if I horn in, since I have this exact question with my newly-acquired HR20, which I have setup to have all audio going through my Denon AVR 2801 receiver.

I went through part one of the Program Your Remote guided setup script, and it seemed successful in that I could power off my receiver with the power button. Then...

1. av1 or av2
3. enter 9 9 3
4. press SELECT

...when I tried this, which is given as part two of the Program Remote setup process in the Guided Setup, I get nothing. When I try to use the volume button in DTV mode, I get prompted that my remote hasn't been programmed, do I want to go into the Program Remote guided setup.

Is there something known, and peculiar about my receiver?

many thanks,
john

#28 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:22 PM

Hey guys, I hope you don't mind if I horn in, since I have this exact question with my newly-acquired HR20, which I have setup to have all audio going through my Denon AVR 2801 receiver.

I went through part one of the Program Your Remote guided setup script, and it seemed successful in that I could power off my receiver with the power button. Then...

...when I tried this, which is given as part two of the Program Remote setup process in the Guided Setup, I get nothing. When I try to use the volume button in DTV mode, I get prompted that my remote hasn't been programmed, do I want to go into the Program Remote guided setup.

Is there something known, and peculiar about my receiver?

many thanks,
john

Do you have a tv code programmed to the tv device?
aka Tivoburkee

#29 OFFLINE   jrredho

jrredho

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:35 PM

Do you have a tv code programmed to the tv device?

Edmund, thanks for your response.

No, I didn't do that first. Is that the problem?

cheers,
john

#30 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:55 PM

yes, the volume keys won't work without a tv code.
aka Tivoburkee

#31 OFFLINE   Nobody

Nobody

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:05 PM

Thanks to all.

I was also in the position of trying to program master volume through an A/V receiver. Since I have all audio turned off on my TV, I never tried to program for it and thus met with failure. Once I put in a code for the TV, my previous attempt for the A/V took effect immediately. :-)

#32 OFFLINE   tjlab3314

tjlab3314

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:17 PM

Is it possible to have 2 remotes programmed to RF to control a single HR-20-700? I ask because the wife and I like to each have our own remote and she has to have the mantle decorated blocking the IR. (One remote is a RC64R and the other is a RC34.)

#33 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:46 PM

Is it possible to have 2 remotes programmed to RF to control a single HR-20-700? I ask because the wife and I like to each have our own remote and she has to have the mantle decorated blocking the IR. (One remote is a RC64R and the other is a RC34.)

Yes you can, with the receiver and first remote already set for Rf, leave them alone and do the following on the second remote:

1. Directv device
3. enter 0 0 0 0 1

4. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
5. enter 9 6 1
6. press CH UP
7. enter the last 6 digits of the receiver ID #, found on a sticker in the access card compartment
8. press SELECT
aka Tivoburkee

#34 OFFLINE   tjlab3314

tjlab3314

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

Ahhh... and peace came over the household...
Thank you for the help!!

#35 OFFLINE   starbiker99

starbiker99

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:21 PM

Now that I know how to get the volume to work in DTV mode on my AV receiver is there a way to get a single press of a button to turn off/on all 3 devices at once? DTV/TV/AVRECEIVER
Shawn

5lnb slimline dish connected to Zinwell WB68 multi-switch, 6 outputs used
Living room: HR24-200 Networked
Bedroom: HR22-100 Networked
Basement: HR21-700 Networked

#36 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:45 PM

Now that I know how to get the volume to work in DTV mode on my AV receiver is there a way to get a single press of a button to turn off/on all 3 devices at once? DTV/TV/AVRECEIVER

sorry, but no.
aka Tivoburkee

#37 OFFLINE   shoeheel

shoeheel

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:14 PM

Is there a way to make the FORMAT button work without the mode slide switch in the "TV" position? I just got an RC64RB and the TV INPUT button works in all modes, now that I activated it with the 9-6-0 process. Is there a similar key sequence to get the FORMAT button to work in all modes?

Sorry if this has already been asked or if it is in the wrong forum.

#38 OFFLINE   carsonius

carsonius

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:02 PM

I use an RF converter to run my HR20 output through an old cable run to a TV in my bedroom. The HR20 is set for RF remote operation and it works very well.

I noticed some serious slowdowns and generally flaky performance when using the remote in the room with the main TV and HR20. It seemed to work better if I pointed the remote away from the TV.

Then I had a Eureka! moment and put my hand over the IR lens of the remote. Everything is hunky-dory now.

The only explanation I can come up with is that the remote is outputting both IR and RF and the HR20 gets confused when it senses both.

Maybe I'm the only one this ever happened to, but it was sure frustrating until I chanced upon the solution.

#39 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:33 AM

carsonius, others have reported similar results as well so you are by no means alone in what seems like a baffling diagnosis, yet I have my HR20 in a closet and use an IR repeater system for the other equipment. Currently I do not have a IR emitter even on the HR20 and I still had massive problems with the remote over RF so there must be several differnt problems with the system compounding the issue.

That is, until the latest sowftware release, which seems to pretty much have fixed the RF issue for me. We can now use the remote just as if we were over IR withourt missed or duplicated button presses and lockups.

Kudos to DirecTV on this one.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#40 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:50 PM

I recently had my HR10-250 and R10 TiVo units (which were great!) upgraded with two HR20-100 units. I like the added HD channels, and the UI is pretty good. But the one thing that I cannot figure out (and it drives me nuts), is the ability to control my A/V receiver and HR20 without flipping the Mode switch at the top.

With both DTiVO units, ONE BUTTON turned the DVR, TV and A/V receiver on/off and could control the volume/mute of the A/V receiver as well as change channels on the DVR. Now, with the HR20s, I have to flip the mode switch to AV1 whenever I want to change the volume/mute of the receiver, but then I have to flip it back to change channels, check recordings, etc. Same deal with turning everything On or Off. This seems incredibly archaic.

Is there any code/workaround to rectify this? I know that the HARMONY remotes are great, but I don’t want to drop several hundred dollars just to fix this feature.

Sorry if this has already been covered before, but I could not find a specific post...

spam firewall