Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Remote Control Questions

• Please log in to reply
500 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:09 PM

I recently had my HR10-250 and R10 TiVo units (which were great!) upgraded with two HR20-100 units. I like the added HD channels, and the UI is pretty good. But the one thing that I cannot figure out (and it drives me nuts), is the ability to control my A/V receiver and HR20 without flipping the Mode switch at the top.

With both DTiVO units, ONE BUTTON turned the DVR, TV and A/V receiver on/off and could control the volume/mute of the A/V receiver as well as change channels on the DVR. Now, with the HR20s, I have to flip the mode switch to AV1 whenever I want to change the volume/mute of the receiver, but then I have to flip it back to change channels, check recordings, etc. Same deal with turning everything On or Off. This seems incredibly archaic.

Is there any code/workaround to rectify this? I know that the HARMONY remotes are great, but I don’t want to drop several hundred dollars just to fix this feature.

Sorry if this has already been covered before, but I could not find a specific post...

Yes you can punch through the av receiver volume to the directv device, nothing can be done about the power, sorry.

For the volume:

1. av1 or av2
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
3. enter 9 9 3
4. press SELECT
aka Tivoburkee

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,952 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:51 PM

One caveat to doing the volume punch-through ... I found that it wouldn't work for me UNTIL I first set up a TV on the remote.

I have two HR20-700s and one HR20-100 on the same TV, and use my Harmony remote to power the TV and AV receiver up and switch inputs, and I use my RC64R in RF mode on the HR20-100, so it only needed to have volume punch-through. I tried over and over again to get volume punch through for my AV receiver to work, but it failed UNTIL I finally thought to set up the TV on the RC64R - something I had not done. As soon as I did that, volume punch through worked, without me even having to do the setup again.

My case may not be typical, because most people probably immediately set up their TV on the remote - or I could have been doing something wrong - but I thought I'd just share my experience in case it helps someone else.

#43 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:02 PM

Yes, there has to be a tv code programmed in, but since the volume keys already works in the av1 device, that means there has to be tv code programmed into OP's remote.
aka Tivoburkee

#44 OFFLINE   borgec

borgec

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:58 PM

Never mind...I have found trhe info. I'll post the answer below incase someone has the same question

I have a cheap LCD TV (Sova) that I bought for the bedroom. I have found TV codes for this TV on the Directv Site. The problem is the TV volume is not controlled by the Remote. On my old HD Tivo reciever I was able to seach for the proper TV code, and it controled the TV Volume.

I have found the following information:

991- Used to codesearch
991 + 0 Searches Sat codes
991 + 1 Searches Tv codes
991 + 2 Searches Dvd & Vcr codes
991 + 3 Searches Stereo codes

But I am not sure how to use this. I would like to use the remote to do a code search for the TV.

Could someone explain what I need to do, as I can not find this thru the search feature of the forum

Thanks In Advance
Chris

Found the answer:

here's how to use the code search feature:

1. Turn on the TV or Component.
2. Slide "MODE" switch to the desired position.
3. Press/Hold "MUTE" & "SELECT" keys until green light flashes 2 times.
4. Enter "991"followed by ONE OF THE FOUR following digits (Satellite = 0, TV = 1, VCR/DVD/PVR = 2, Stereo = 3).
5. Press "POWER" or other function (like "PLAY") you want to use.
6. Point remote at TV (or component) and press "CHANNEL UP" until the device turns off or performs the action you selected in step #5.
7. Use "CHANNEL DOWN" to step back one code if neccessary.
8. When the TV (or component) turns off or performs the action you selected in step#5, stop pressing the "CHANNEL UP/DOWN" buttons.
9. Press and release the "SELECT" button to set that code.

NOTE: If the green light flashes 3 times before your component responds, you've cycled through all the codes and the code you need is not available.

#45 OFFLINE   AdMaven

AdMaven

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:14 PM

Newbie here. First of all, thanks for all the expertise I have found here. The end of January, finally upgraded to HD system and plasma tv.

Right now my remote is on IR and I want to switch to RF. At the moment, I can use the remote to change the volume on my tv. If I switch to RF will it automatically continue to work the tv volume?

The equipment in question is in the living room:
HD-DVR HR21-200
LG plasma PC5D

TIA!

#46 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:21 PM

Newbie here. First of all, thanks for all the expertise I have found here. The end of January, finally upgraded to HD system and plasma tv.

Right now my remote is on IR and I want to switch to RF. At the moment, I can use the remote to change the volume on my tv. If I switch to RF will it automatically continue to work the tv volume?

The equipment in question is in the living room:
HD-DVR HR21-200
LG plasma PC5D

TIA!

Yes, the only component controlled via RF is the directv receiver, all other components are IR.
aka Tivoburkee

#47 OFFLINE   AdMaven

AdMaven

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:42 PM

Well, we switched the remote to RF and it worked; however now when we hit guide we lose the audio for several seconds. And, when we hit exit to go back to the program, etc, we lose audio as well. :mad:

#48 OFFLINE   JimV

JimV

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:06 PM

On the 9 9 3 Select to control the Volume in more than one mode, note that if it doesnt work the first time, try a couple times. Mine took about 5 tries. Finicky I guess.
Samsung 46" LCDTV - LN46A550 - HR23-100 / DECA2 / CCK
Onkyo Receiver TX-SR608
Polk Audio 5.1 Speakers
- - - - - -
Olevia 323v and HR21-
- - - -
Old Receivers: R15-100, R15-500, HR21-0700, H20
Customer since 2001

#49 OFFLINE   AdMaven

AdMaven

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:47 PM

On the 9 9 3 Select to control the Volume in more than one mode, note that if it doesnt work the first time, try a couple times. Mine took about 5 tries. Finicky I guess.

Before we do the 9 9 3 code, we do the mute/select function first, right?

Thanks!

#50 OFFLINE   jes

jes

Icon

• Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:09 PM

I searched first and found nothing in this thread...

Does anyone know what other equipment codes to use on an RC34? I searched the D* site and apparently the RC34 doesn't exist... :nono:

#51 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:38 PM

It has almost the same codeset as the rc32, so try its manual.
aka Tivoburkee

#52 OFFLINE   HDTAXMAN

HDTAXMAN

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:05 AM

Is this an IR vs RF issue:

I have an HR-21 in my den..using hte up/down channel changes seems to take a few seconds each time it is pressed..About 6 to 10 feet away from TV/box when used.

In my other rooms, I have a basic box and the remote is very quick..as fast as I press the button, the channel guide changes..

I have read through various posts, but do not see a specific answer to the speed of the channel changing, but it seems as if it might relate to the mode I am in..I will never be in a circumstances of having to use the remote when not in sight of the TV, so I don't think RF is really needed..just sorta guessing as to this might be the issue?

Thanks again.

Dale Cooper

#53 OFFLINE   AdMaven

AdMaven

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:14 PM

I have a TruTech 32" PLV16320VM (bought at Target) and it isn't listed as one of the brands when I try and program the remote. I tried several other brands and none of the codes work. I tried the 991 1 search and nothing happened.

Not sure how long I should try this but I did well over 100 channel up and nothing. Maybe I am using the wrong 'power button' to see if it works. Do I use the PWR button centered under the slide buttons or the "OFF" button undr D*& TV power?

Or, if anyone knows the TT code I should input, please let me know. It's a major PIA to have to use my tv remote in bed for volume and power and the D* remote to change channels, guide, etc.

I also searched the D* website for my brand and it says it is not listed. TIA.

#54 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,952 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:38 PM

I have a TruTech 32" PLV16320VM (bought at Target) and it isn't listed as one of the brands when I try and program the remote. I tried several other brands and none of the codes work. I tried the 991 1 search and nothing happened.

Not sure how long I should try this but I did well over 100 channel up and nothing. Maybe I am using the wrong 'power button' to see if it works. Do I use the PWR button centered under the slide buttons or the "OFF" button undr D*& TV power?

Or, if anyone knows the TT code I should input, please let me know. It's a major PIA to have to use my tv remote in bed for volume and power and the D* remote to change channels, guide, etc.

I also searched the D* website for my brand and it says it is not listed. TIA.

See if you can find it from this site: http://www.ezremote....ctSelection.php

#55 OFFLINE   AdMaven

AdMaven

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:46 PM

See if you can find it from this site: http://www.ezremote....ctSelection.php

Thanks, I'll look there. I think one issue I have realized is that it is a video monitor, not an actual tv with tuner. Instead of TV I view on AV1 I believe.

Nope, no TruTech listed there.

#56 OFFLINE   TerryB

TerryB

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:17 PM

When I want to switch on/off the AV1 and AV2 devices, it takes two pwr button presses. I didn't find this in a search.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
TerryB

#57 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

That's the way the DIRECTV remote is set up. To do otherwise you need a different universal remote.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#58 OFFLINE   TerryB

TerryB

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:17 PM

Thanks!
Strange that the DTV is always one push, the TV is single push on and double off, so it takes some getting used to.

TerryB

#59 OFFLINE   Ext 721

Ext 721

Icon

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:18 AM

LCD TVs with "light sensors" to adjust the picture brightness based on light levels may interfere with IR remote funtion.
This feature is alternately marketed as an energy-saver or as a picture enhancer.
....Not Purchased.

#60 OFFLINE   Ext 721

Ext 721

Icon

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:20 AM

Is this an IR vs RF issue:

I have an HR-21 in my den..using hte up/down channel changes seems to take a few seconds each time it is pressed..About 6 to 10 feet away from TV/box when used.

In my other rooms, I have a basic box and the remote is very quick..as fast as I press the button, the channel guide changes..

I have read through various posts, but do not see a specific answer to the speed of the channel changing, but it seems as if it might relate to the mode I am in..I will never be in a circumstances of having to use the remote when not in sight of the TV, so I don't think RF is really needed..just sorta guessing as to this might be the issue?

Thanks again.

Dale Cooper

HD takes more time to change channels than SD. DVR takes more time to change channels than non-dvr.

Put them together and....wait a second....wait a second....there it is.
....Not Purchased.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...