Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Remote Control Questions

• Please log in to reply
504 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   Paul E Fox II

Paul E Fox II

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:17 AM

While doing a search for One For All remotes, I notice that these new DirecTV remotes come up as well.

Are they, in fact, UEI/One For All remotes?

Can they be programmed for special things like the older One For All remotes or am I just limited to certain things?

I thought those punch through codes sounded familiar!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• Registered
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:52 AM

While doing a search for One For All remotes, I notice that these new DirecTV remotes come up as well.

Are they, in fact, UEI/One For All remotes?

Can they be programmed for special things like the older One For All remotes or am I just limited to certain things?

I thought those punch through codes sounded familiar!

The white directv remotes are made by UEI, but they do not have the same features as OFA universal remotes, like keymoving or the use of advanced codes, no.
aka Tivoburkee

#78 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• Registered
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:59 AM

I want to leave my HR23 on all the time. But I want to use the remote to turn on and off the TV.

Is there a shortcut to having to slide the mode switch to TV to toggle the TV PWR, and then back to D* to use the HR23?

For example, can I lock the PWR button to the TV, like I can lock the volume controls to my receiver? Or can I somehow disable the HR23 from accepting power toggles from the remote and use the "all on / all off" buttons (which I currently have to avoid since I don't want to turn off my HR23)?

(btw, what happened to the remote FAQ at the top of this thread? it sounds like it had a "Harmony" section, but i don't see one in the current remote FAQ here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=148702)

No, you can't just control the TV with the TV/DVR ON & OFF keys, unless your tv brand has just the same power toggle on both the ON & OFF keys, you could just use the TV ON key for powering tv both on & off, without affecting the receiver, and abandoning the OFF key. Which of course will always turn off the receiver too.
aka Tivoburkee

#79 OFFLINE   flynn337

flynn337

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

No, you can't just control the TV with the TV/DVR ON & OFF keys, unless your tv brand has just the same power toggle on both the ON & OFF keys, you could just use the TV ON key for powering tv both on & off, without affecting the receiver, and abandoning the OFF key. Which of course will always turn off the receiver too.

Ugh... so i'm stuck with these steps:

1. Slide the mode switch to TV if necessary
2. Press PWR <TV turns on>
3. Slide the mode switch to D*
4. Use the remote normally
5. Slide the mode switch to TV
6. Press PWR
7. Press PWR again <TV turns off>

Not quite enough to make me buy another Harmony, but we're getting there...

#80 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• Registered
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:16 PM

No, use the TV/DVR key like it should work, if it does, turning off the receiver while you turn off the tv. It will still record while in standby mode.
aka Tivoburkee

#81 OFFLINE   Paul E Fox II

Paul E Fox II

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:46 AM

Checked the pre-programmed commands for the Yamaha receiver and some of the stuff is there. If I could add a "sleep" command somewhere, I'd be set!

Thanks for the information.

#82 OFFLINE   GalaxyMan

GalaxyMan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

I have the RC64RB remote and programmed it for a now bricked r15-500. Replacement is a r15-100 but the remote and receiver do not want to play together. Anyone else experience similar occurance?
Thanks.
H20-600-HD OTA only
R15-100-Replacement for a bricked -500
4 D11-500's-these replaced two old Sony A3's (rf mod)
Old Sony DLNB Round Dish
Eagle Aspen 5x8 multiswitch
DirecTV/USSB subscriber since 1998

#83 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• Registered
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:39 PM

I have the RC64RB remote and programmed it for a now bricked r15-500. Replacement is a r15-100 but the remote and receiver do not want to play together. Anyone else experience similar occurance?
Thanks.

Did you enter the different last six digits of the receiver ID # from the R15-100?
aka Tivoburkee

#84 OFFLINE   dlh

dlh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:57 AM

Vol punch through - 2 TV's while in RF mode:

I have the RC64R controlling a receiver feeding both BR and Den. To get the vols. on both sets working I programmed a Sony in the TV mode (with vol punched through) and a Sharp in AV1 mode, but of course I have to slide the mode switch to control vol. on Sharp.

So, if I'm thinking correctly, if I buy another RC64R and set it up for the Sharp in TV mode (punched through), I could have a dedicated remote in each room (one in the BR punched through on the Sony, the other in the Den punched through on the Sharp) correct?

Just wanted to check before ordering another remote. Thanks

(From what I've read, there's no way to get a receiver to respond to both IR and RF commands simultaneously.)

#85 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• Registered
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:13 AM

Vol punch through - 2 TV's while in RF mode:

I have the RC64R controlling a receiver feeding both BR and Den. To get the vols. on both sets working I programmed a Sony in the TV mode (with vol punched through) and a Sharp in AV1 mode, but of course I have to slide the mode switch to control vol. on Sharp.

So, if I'm thinking correctly, if I buy another RC64R and set it up for the Sharp in TV mode (punched through), I could have a dedicated remote in each room (one in the BR punched through on the Sony, the other in the Den punched through on the Sharp) correct?

Just wanted to check before ordering another remote. Thanks

(From what I've read, there's no way to get a receiver to respond to both IR and RF commands simultaneously.)

Yes, you can buy another RF remote have them both control the same receiver, but different tv's.

As for controlling receiver via IR & RF at the same time, if you have a R15 or R16 this can be done, any other models, its IR or RF, not both.

If you wish, you could use one remote in two rooms on two different tv's. By setting up two devices controlling the same receiver, but then have different TV volumes punched through to each receiver. Two devices would have the same receiver, while the other two devices have the two tv's. Then you wouldn't have any room for any other type of device on that remote. tell me if you wish to know how to do this?
aka Tivoburkee

#86 OFFLINE   dlh

dlh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:42 PM

Yes, you can buy another RF remote have them both control the same receiver, but different tv's.

As for controlling receiver via IR & RF at the same time, if you have a R15 or R16 this can be done, any other models, its IR or RF, not both.

If you wish, you could use one remote in two rooms on two different tv's. By setting up two devices controlling the same receiver, but then have different TV volumes punched through to each receiver. Two devices would have the same receiver, while the other two devices have the two tv's. Then you wouldn't have any room for any other type of device on that remote. tell me if you wish to know how to do this?

Yes, that makes sense. (I'm reconfiguring my R-15.) If I set it up as two devices, I would slide the mode switch only when I carried the remote to the other room, correct? That IS a good idea. I have just ordered a second remote anyway. It seems the new ones are backlit (a bit unnecessary since my thumb seems to have memorized this remote and my Harmony.) Thanks for the idea and feedback. I'll let you know if I have trouble setting up the two devices but I think I've got the concept.:D

#87 OFFLINE   cts33fan

cts33fan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

I have an HR21-700 and the RC64 remote running the latest natl release. When I left on Vacation, everything was fine, since coming back yesterday, I have to put the remote right up to the lens to get it to work. I have tried auniversal remote and the DTV remote with fresh batteries I just bought. Has this happened to anyone else? And would a RF remote fix the problem.

Thanks

#88 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• Registered
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

Yes, that makes sense. (I'm reconfiguring my R-15.) If I set it up as two devices, I would slide the mode switch only when I carried the remote to the other room, correct? That IS a good idea. I have just ordered a second remote anyway. It seems the new ones are backlit (a bit unnecessary since my thumb seems to have memorized this remote and my Harmony.) Thanks for the idea and feedback. I'll let you know if I have trouble setting up the two devices but I think I've got the concept.

Yes, you would only switch while changing rooms, instead of each time you want to change the volume level.

The original R15 remote isn't a RF remote, if you want to control the receiver from another room, you will need a RF remote. The only RF remotes sold on directv.com are Rf remotes with backlighting. There aresn't any RF remotes sold without backlighting. But there are Rf included with HD dvrs that RF and non-backlighted.

You can tell if its RF by the FCC sticker on back.

So if your only white remote is the one included with the R15, its the rc23 IR only remote. If you purchase the RF remote from Directv.com, since you receiver is a R15, it can be programmed to receive both IR & RF remote at the same time, meaning you can leave the IR remote in main room with the receiver, while using new RF remote in the remote room.
aka Tivoburkee

#89 ONLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,386 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:30 PM

I have an HR21-700 and the RC64 remote running the latest natl release. When I left on Vacation, everything was fine, since coming back yesterday, I have to put the remote right up to the lens to get it to work. I have tried auniversal remote and the DTV remote with fresh batteries I just bought. Has this happened to anyone else? And would a RF remote fix the problem.

Thanks

The most common problem I've seen with an IR problem is interference typically from a fluorescent light, many of the early compact fluorescent bulbs where really bad, and some TVs (Sharp Acquos LCDs caused some problems.)

So you might try reorienting the TV, the receiver, and/or some of the lights in the room. Might not take too much to make things work.

Good luck,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#90 OFFLINE   dlh

dlh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:54 PM

Yes, you would only switch while changing rooms, instead of each time you want to change the volume level.

The original R15 remote isn't a RF remote, if you want to control the receiver from another room, you will need a RF remote. The only RF remotes sold on directv.com are Rf remotes with backlighting. There aresn't any RF remotes sold without backlighting. But there are Rf included with HD dvrs that RF and non-backlighted.

You can tell if its RF by the FCC sticker on back.

So if your only white remote is the one included with the R15, its the rc23 IR only remote. If you purchase the RF remote from Directv.com, since you receiver is a R15, it can be programmed to receive both IR & RF remote at the same time, meaning you can leave the IR remote in main room with the receiver, while using new RF remote in the remote room.

Thanks, I'm using the RC64R that came with my HR-22 to control the R-15 (moved the R-15 remote to the LR with the HR-22 in IR mode.) All of the LR gear is controlled by a Harmony, but I still use the DTV remote there occasionally. Thanks again for all your help.

#91 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• Registered
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:24 PM

To get the second device controlling the R15 via RF:

1. AV1
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
3. enter 0 0 0 0 1

4. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
5. enter 9 6 1
6. press CH UP
7. enter the last 6 digits of the receiver ID #, found on a sticker in the access card compartment
8. press SELECT

Now with DTV & AV1 controlling the same R15, and AV2 with remote room tv code, and TV device with Main tv code. to get the volume:

1. av2
3. enter 9 9 3
4. press SELECT

Now the remote tv volumes in all devices, to restore the main TV volume to the DTV and TV devices:

1. TV
3. enter 9 9 3
4. press VOL DOWN

and:

1. DTV
3. enter 9 9 3
4. press VOL DOWN
aka Tivoburkee

#92 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:14 PM

For Edmund....

I have an older Symphonic TV/VCR and I have not been able to have the D remote (RC 64) control it. I have tried the pre programmed codes and tried search function as well with NO luck. I was wondering if the D 12 box has an internal volume control independent of my tv. Echostar boxes have this feature so I figured that D boxes might as well. If they do how would I access this feature. It's such a pain to have to use two remotes to control things.

Thanks.

#93 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• Registered
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

For Edmund....

I have an older Symphonic TV/VCR and I have not been able to have the D remote (RC 64) control it. I have tried the pre programmed codes and tried search function as well with NO luck. I was wondering if the D 12 box has an internal volume control independent of my tv. Echostar boxes have this feature so I figured that D boxes might as well. If they do how would I access this feature. It's such a pain to have to use two remotes to control things.

Thanks.

No, directv receivers do not have a independent volume commands of their own, sorry.

Tv/vcr combo usually use a vcr IR codeset, that's why trying tv codes fails, I suggest doing a codesearch of vcr codes on either AV1 or AV2 devices, but not by power, search by volume.

With tv on and muted:

1. av1 or av2
3. enter 9 9 1
4. enter 2
5. press and release VOL UP
6. point the remote at the tv and keep pressing & releasing the CH UP key, if and when the volume changes
7. press SELECT to lock in code

To get the volume and punch it through to ALL devices:

1. av1 or av2
3. enter 9 9 3
4. press SELECT
aka Tivoburkee

#94 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:49 PM

Thanks Edmund for you fast response!

I will give your suggestion a try tonight and report back here early next week.

#95 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

Edmund:

Tried to use your method of setting up the tv.

Interesting result....

The tv volume CAN be controlled (partially) using your method of finding the code when I press "vol up" as the preferred method of finding the code, however once you find the supposedly correct code and lock it in, the remote only controls the channel selector . NOT the volume.

Obviously the remote DID find a partial way of controlling the volume but not when you lock in the final code.

This is WEIRD, have any idea what give here. Frustrated.

#96 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• Registered
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:12 PM

Edmund:

Tried to use your method of setting up the tv.

Interesting result....

The tv volume CAN be controlled (partially) using your method of finding the code when I press "vol up" as the preferred method of finding the code, however once you find the supposedly correct code and lock it in, the remote only controls the channel selector . NOT the volume.

Obviously the remote DID find a partial way of controlling the volume but not when you lock in the final code.

This is WEIRD, have any idea what give here. Frustrated.

The volume keys never work initially with any code programmed to the AV1 or AV2 devices. Thats why once you find a code that at least partially works. I had you do the final 4 steps to get the volume and punch it through to ALL devices:

1. av1 or av2
3. enter 9 9 3
4. press SELECT

For the above to work, there HAS to be some tv code programmed to the tv device, or the volume keys will never work. so just enter 10000 inoto the tv device.
aka Tivoburkee

#97 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:32 PM

Edmund..

I tried your method again and it worked. I don't know what I did wrong the first time, maybe not letting the LED flash after punching in a key.

One other question now that I have the volume, TV channel, and mute controls working I cannot get the remote to turn off the tv. Is there anything I am missing? I would like to have the remote (d* & tv) power on and off button to function. Can y ou clue me in on this one.

Again thanks so much for your help. D* should hire you!

#98 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• Registered
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:10 PM

Sorry but you're out of luck with TV ON & OFF keys, since yours is combo you have to abandon the tv device which includes the tv on & off keys. To power the tv on & off use the middle PWR key in the AV1 or AV2 device.
aka Tivoburkee

#99 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:26 PM

Thanks Edmund. Thats not really that big a deal because you only use the power button occasionally as opposed to surfing the channels and using the volume and mute.

Again. Thanks so much for your help!!!!!!!!

Bill

#100 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:18 PM

Just wanted to post an update on this Symphonic TV VCR and getting RC 64 to work with D*&TV power button.

I actually got this to work by assigning the AV2 button to the TV power control. (AV1 is assigned the volume controls) Did a code search and it worked. I can now use the combined power button, volume and mute. It appears that this Symphonic unit has dual codes controlling the volume and power functions. Complicated, weird, and a pain to figure out. What a challenge!!!!!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...