Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Remote Control Questions

• Please log in to reply
487 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 406 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:45 AM

My RC16 has started to issue five flashes per key press, which makes it pretty useless for most things. I tried a software reset, and that didn't solve the problem. DTV said I could do a hard reset by pulling the batteries and pressing the '1' key for ten seconds. That didn't do anything. I think the RC16 is too old to still be on DTV's radar.

It is possible a hard reset will not cure the problem, but I would like to give it a shot. I know it requires pulling the batteries and pressing one or more buttons, but I can't remember what they are!

Edited by rbpeirce, 23 May 2009 - 09:02 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:59 AM

My RC16 has started to issue five flashes per key press, which makes it pretty useless for most things. I tried a software reset, and that didn't solve the problem. DTV said I could do a hard reset by pulling the batteries and pressing the '1' key for ten seconds. That didn't do anything. I think the RC16 is too old to still be on DTV's radar.

It is possible a hard reset will not cure the problem, but I would like to give it a shot. I know it requires pulling the batteries and pressing one or more buttons, but I can't remember what they are!

To reset the remote:

1. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
2. enter 9 8 1

You will have to reenter the tv code, and whatever other non-directv codes. The Directv device will be set to code 00001.
aka Tivoburkee

#103 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 406 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:10 AM

That is a software reset. It doesn't solve the problem. I need a hardware reset. On recent remotes, this involves removing the batteries and pressing the '1' key for ten seconds. The RC16 requires something else.

#104 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:48 AM

The RC16 is a remote, the only reset on UEI remotes is through 981 procedure.

The pressing of the #1 key has been in the csr handbook since the days of RCA remotes, has NO effect on UEI made remotes.

If you're having trouble with receiver itself, you can press the red button in the access card compartment or go through the menu to reset the receiver.
aka Tivoburkee

#105 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 406 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:05 PM

Too bad. It must have been one of my other remotes, maybe the RC64R, that had a hardware reset.

This one has started to send five code flashes after each button push. My other remotes work fine. The software reset, using 981, has no effect on this problem. It just resets my AV1, AV2 and TV codes as far as I can see.

The only possible cure was to be able to flush everything and start over. I know I did that on one remote at some time in the past. I guess it wasn't an RC16.

Oh, well. Guess I'll have to order a new remote.

Edited by rbpeirce, 23 May 2009 - 12:21 PM.

#106 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 406 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:44 PM

I figured if the thing can't be hardware reset and was working before then it should still work. The batteries were fresh, but recalling a comment somewhere about "fat" batteries, I went looking for the "thinnest" set I could find and put them in. Problem solved!!

Apparently, fat batteries will make enough contact to cause the unit to send a signal but may not make full contact and cause the thing to malfunction.

Live and learn.

#107 OFFLINE   jborchel

jborchel

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:00 PM

Hey guys, I hope you don't mind if I horn in, since I have this exact question with my newly-acquired HR20, which I have setup to have all audio going through my Denon AVR 2801 receiver.

I went through part one of the Program Your Remote guided setup script, and it seemed successful in that I could power off my receiver with the power button. Then...

...when I tried this, which is given as part two of the Program Remote setup process in the Guided Setup, I get nothing. When I try to use the volume button in DTV mode, I get prompted that my remote hasn't been programmed, do I want to go into the Program Remote guided setup.

Is there something known, and peculiar about my receiver?

many thanks,
john

I am trying to program my Rc64RB to control the volume on a Denon receiver when I switch to AV1. I have already set up the remote to control the volume on my TV when the switch is in the DTV mode. I've tried the above technique with the switch in AV1 mode and cannot get it to work. What am I doing wrong?

Jack

#108 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:41 PM

I am trying to program my Rc64RB to control the volume on a Denon receiver when I switch to AV1. I have already set up the remote to control the volume on my TV when the switch is in the DTV mode. I've tried the above technique with the switch in AV1 mode and cannot get it to work. What am I doing wrong?

Jack

If theres a tv code in, which there has to be one for the volume keys to work at all. If you want Denon volume in just the av1 device do the following:

1. av1
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
3. enter 9 9 3
4. press VOL DOWN

If you want to the Denon volume in ALL devices do the following instead:

1. av1
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
3. enter 9 9 3
4. press SELECT
aka Tivoburkee

#109 OFFLINE   jborchel

jborchel

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:43 PM

I've done that. It doesn't work. edit: Wait, I didn't do the Volume down after the 993. I'll try that.

Update: It worked. Thanks a lot.

Jack

Edited by jborchel, 03 June 2010 - 10:54 PM.

#110 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:04 PM

Clicking the link to the FAQ in post #1 gives me an error "Invalid Thread specified."
Greg

#111 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:15 AM

What did you want know?
aka Tivoburkee

#112 OFFLINE   Chazon

Chazon

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

Question - I tried searching and couldn't find an answer. Is there a "shortcut" key to delete a recording when I reach the end? Sometimes the recording streches longer than the show, and I would like to just hit a button that stops and deletes(or prompts for delete). As it stands now, I either have to fast forward to the end of the recording to get the prompt, or exit, go back to the listing and use the red button to delete.

On my old comcast dvr box, as long as I was in the last 5 minutes of viewing, when I hit exit, it asked me if I wanted to delete.

#113 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

Question - I tried searching and couldn't find an answer. Is there a "shortcut" key to delete a recording when I reach the end? Sometimes the recording streches longer than the show, and I would like to just hit a button that stops and deletes(or prompts for delete). As it stands now, I either have to fast forward to the end of the recording to get the prompt, or exit, go back to the listing and use the red button to delete.

On my old comcast dvr box, as long as I was in the last 5 minutes of viewing, when I hit exit, it asked me if I wanted to delete.

If you hit stop, that usually takes you back to the list, where you can delete. Not quite as easy as you want, but does eliminate a step. You can also press info, then select for more info and delete from there, even while the program is running.

Also, if you press FF 1 and then skip that will take you to the end of the recording. (If there is soft padding, you may have to hit skip again, or FF just a little further to get to the end of the soft pad.) From there it will ask if you want to keep or delete.

Hope this helps.
DogLover

My Setup

#114 OFFLINE   Chazon

Chazon

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:35 PM

the FF/skip combo sounds like what I might need - I'll give it a try tonight - thanks!

#115 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:50 PM

Press and hold skip fwd also jumps to the end using the D* remote.

#116 OFFLINE   khalpin

khalpin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

I have essentially the same problem except with a RC64R remote. Any button I press and the light quickly flashes twice, pauses and then flashes 5 more times and all keys are 'dead' until the lights stop flashing, so it's taking forever to get anywhere using the remote.

To reset the remote:

1. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
2. enter 9 8 1

You will have to reenter the tv code, and whatever other non-directv codes. The Directv device will be set to code 00001.

I tried this several times. Here's what happens:
1. press and hold MUTE & SELECT (light flashes once when I first hit the buttons, then after holding for 5 seconds the light flashes one long blink. I remove my fingers and the light flashes 5 times)
2. enter 9 (two quick flashes, a pause, 5 more flashes)
3. enter 8 (two quick flashes, a pause, 5 more flashes)
4. enter 1 (two quick flashes, a pause, 5 more flashes)

Any ideas?

#117 OFFLINE   khalpin

khalpin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:32 PM

Okay....so that was too simple. The batteries needed to be changed. Works fine now.

#118 OFFLINE   Mark Jay Jones

Mark Jay Jones

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:46 PM

OK, so I've been using this for some time:

960- To setup the TV input key.

And it worked well to allow me to switch inputs on my TV (between Sat, DVD, VCR(?) and Laserdisc(?!?)).

Is there some way to set the "TV Input" key to switch the AV receiver instead? Much more useful for anybody with an AV receiver. I've got my AV receiver programmed into AV2 and use it to control volume/mute globally (across all remote settings, DTV, AV1, AV2 and TV). Is there some way to use the remote to switch the AV receiver between inputs?
DirecTV subscriber (continuously) since February 1997.

#119 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:03 PM

OK, so I've been using this for some time:

960- To setup the TV input key.

And it worked well to allow me to switch inputs on my TV (between Sat, DVD, VCR(?) and Laserdisc(?!?)).

Is there some way to set the "TV Input" key to switch the AV receiver instead? Much more useful for anybody with an AV receiver. I've got my AV receiver programmed into AV2 and use it to control volume/mute globally (across all remote settings, DTV, AV1, AV2 and TV). Is there some way to use the remote to switch the AV receiver between inputs?

The tv input key can only be used with TV inputs sorry. To switch inputs on your AV receiver try the numeral keys in the AV1 or Av2 device.
aka Tivoburkee

#120 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:59 PM

Hey guys, I have an HR22-100 HD DVR and an H24-100 HD receiver. The HR22-100 has a remote with the # RC65R at the top. The H24-100 has a remote with the # RC65X at the top

I want to use the HR22-100's remote (RC65R), which I believe is RF, to control the H24-100. I have the H24-100 inside a cabinet, so I need the RF capable remote.

Yes, I have tried using the RC65X remote and followed the instructions to switch it to Rf but it didn't work. I was reading that if I use the HR22-100's remote (RC65R), that I need to "reset it/clear it " first and then program it.

Can someone please help me, I am at my wits end trying to figure this out!!

Thanks
Hidef2010

spam firewall